Tiny Pike

mark99

Featured Posts

I scooped it out - did not take a lure.

You don't often see pike this small - a bit like tench - they don't often turn up small. I think they spend their young times buried in weeds - they know what happens if they venture out.

Here's mummy that I caught on a herring. These pike like to sit right next to the weedhatch. Just thought I'd mention that. They like fingers :)

242lbpluspike_zps18718947.jpg

Edited by mark99

You don't often see pike this small - a bit like tench - they don't often turn up small. I think they spend their young times buried in weeds - they know what happens if they venture out.

Here's mummy that I caught on a herring. These pike like to sit right next to the weedhatch. Just thought I'd mention that. They like fingers smile.png

Magnificent catch mark!

I have one about that size in a glass case in my living room. Didn't catch it myself though.

MtB

Magnificent catch mark!

I have one about that size in a glass case in my living room. Didn't catch it myself though.

MtB

I'm sure you know they (cased fish) can be worth serious money - especially if stuffed by Coopers with their bow fronted case.

Here's mummy that I caught on a herring. These pike like to sit right next to the weedhatch. Just thought I'd mention that. They like fingers smile.png

OMG!!!!

That came from a canal???? (Mental note....yet another very good reason to avoid falling in the canals)

I'm sure you know they (cased fish) can be worth serious money - especially if stuffed by Coopers with their bow fronted case.

Hope you put it back in...........alive.

Unlike others I have seen, obviously killed then thrown back in.

Once saw a d***head smack one on a drystone wall several times to try and kill it. Probably wasn't dead when he threw it back in.

Must have been all of 12 inches long!

Took all my willpower to restrain myself from throwing him in after it.

I agree. I've been fishing for thirty years and my biggest pike is twenty two and a half pounds. My goodness I'd like to catch one that big.

I wonder if big pike eat Signal crayfish because if they do there's a good food supply for them on the Macc

I agree. I've been fishing for thirty years and my biggest pike is twenty two and a half pounds. My goodness I'd like to catch one that big.

I wonder if big pike eat Signal crayfish because if they do there's a good food supply for them on the Macc

I can confirm they do eat them. I've had them cough em up. Also you can "feel" them in their bellies.

That looks a lovely fish I must say pike is one of my favourite fish,

here is one of the recipes I use

Poached Pike in White Wine Easy Recipe.

The pike has lean, low fat, firm flesh, which is yellow when raw but flaky white when cooked. One disadvantage of the pike is that it is bony. They inhibit fresh waters but its flesh is as nutritious as that of saltwater fishes. The pike is low in saturated fat, no sugar, very high in manganese, phosphorus, selenium, and in vitamin B12, high in calcium, niacin, potassium, and in thiamin.

1 cooked fillet 124g (Dry Heat) provides: Calories 148, Calories from Fat 17, Total Fat 1.94g, including saturated fat 0.396g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.711g, and Monounsaturated Fat 0.467g, Cholesterol 136mg, Sodium 81mg, Potassium 619mg, and Protein 30.4g.

Poached Pike Recipe - easy and healthy recipe how to poach pike fillets with mushrooms, onion, baby carrots, butter, white wine or sherry, nutmeg, and sugar.

Ingredients:

•4 fresh Pike fillets (about 6 ounces each)

•8 mushrooms, diced

•1 large onion, diced

•8 baby carrots, shredded

•2 tbsp butter

•1/2 cup white wine or sherry

•1 sprinkle of nutmeg

•1 tsp sugar

•Salt and pepper to taste

Serves/Makes: 4

• 2 weeks later...

Look what I fished out.

IMG_3535_zps74fa67bf.jpg

That is a very cute pike!

That is a monster, great Fish Mark!

That looks a lovely fish I must say pike is one of my favourite fish,

here is one of the recipes I use

<snip>

Serves/Makes: 4

Please confirm that you only eat small jack-pike, of which there are plenty, rather than the larger ones which tend to be the breeding females and are much fewer in number

Edited by Bazza2