Reporting over stayers!

Davids

Featured Posts

Overstaying wouldn't bother me, all the other issues the OP mentioned would though and I would be actively seeking that something was done about it. It's akin to anti social behavior especially engine running after 8pm which must be really annoying. This sort of behavior isn't accepted in residential areas and shouldn't be accepted on the canal either. I would have been on to all manner of organisations by now to put and end to it.

Good advice too who said get other boaters locally involved too.

That would be me !.

I agree with most of the above. It is not so much the over staying, although this does rile me a bit, but more the noise and attitude of the people. There are only four boats on our mooring, only two with anyone on them so this avenue does not hold much sway. We are sandwiched between two buildings, one of them an assisted old age home, and the sound from across the canal somehow gets funnelled through here amplifing it by a huge amount, even a fairly quiet engine is loud enough to drown out the radio or TV, even when inside.

I have, on a few occasions, tried approaching offenders (usually with a good result) but am loathe to get into a slanging match with anyone as the mooring is easily accesible from the canal and these days you never know how someone is going to react. This includes reporting someone to one of the agencies as they tend to inform the offending person exactly who has raised a complaint against them.

Do you have a chainsaw.? Chop a lot of wood for him, and he wont need to do it when he comes home late at night, freezing.

Ask him to moors up next to you, and share your shorepower. It's Christmas...the season for sharing.

That way he wont need to cut wood at midnight, or start his engine for charging batts late at night.

Share the love maan....share da luv ;-)

• Greenie 1

As one of the problems seems to be noise have you thought about complaining to the environmental health department of your local council? Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applies to machinery.

I have two (land-based) experiences doing this. Both involved months of back and forth communications ... ultimately with nothing being done. I found environmental health to be time-wasting, unwilling and useless (in that order). We had to move in both cases.

Sorry to be so cheerful.

Edited by Jim Batty
  • Greenie 1

Overstaying wouldn't bother me, all the other issues the OP mentioned would though and I would be actively seeking that something was done about it. It's akin to anti social behavior especially engine running after 8pm which must be really annoying. This sort of behavior isn't accepted in residential areas and shouldn't be accepted on the canal either. I would have been on to all manner of organisations by now to put and end to it.

Good advice too who said get other boaters locally involved too.

Really?

http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/your-environment/noise/residential-noise/prohibited-times-for-residential-noise

Blimey - so much bitterness from the OP.

Go DeanS! clapping.gif

Firstly to the OP - how do you know it was a cup of diesel from the other side of the canal - who the heck puts diesel in a cup anyway? And then wastes it...

Secondly, regarding running his engine/gennie late at night, are you sure you approached him about it politely and tactfully or were you as wound up and full of exclamation marks as when you typed the title to this thread? If so I'm not all that surprised you got the reaction you did. How do you know he's not in difficulty? How do you know he's not bitterly cold with dimming lights and his batteries have let him down? How do you know anything about this person or his circumstances? You don't - you've just seen what you want to see: things that reinforce your resentment that he has stayed longer than (maybe) he ought to have done. Nothing winds up people who've got everything they need than seeing someone apparently get something for nothing.

I think you've started this thread to have a rant and get everyone on your side about it to make you feel your resentment is justified, No boater doesn't know how to contact CaRT - especially if you have a mooring and a license! If you can't live and let live, email CaRT and ask them to intervene. End of story.

Oh - and edited to add: Happy Christmas

Edited by BlueStringPudding
  • Greenie 3

Might not be PC correct but these do not look like the kind of people who would spend the money on a mooring of any kind!

Amazing power you seem to have , can you also see at a glance which disabled people are swinging the lead and are able to work , the kind of people indeed , just go straight over there and tell him what you think of him and his ilk .

Edited by gaggle

Your ranting and resentment skills are right up there with the best.

Why thank you

re·sent·ment
[ ri zéntmənt ]
  1. ill feeling: aggrieved feelings caused by a sense of having been badly treated

I think you'll find it's ranting. Not resentment. I'm of the live and let live variety. Except when I see people not live-and-let-living and then I feel the need to say something. I do not feel that the OP has wronged or badly treated me, The OP feels wronged by the overstayer.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Why thank you

re·sent·ment
[ ri zéntmənt ]
  1. ill feeling: aggrieved feelings caused by a sense of having been badly treated

I think you'll find it's ranting. Not resentment. I'm of the live and let live variety. Except when I see people not live-and-let-living and then I feel the need to say something. I do not feel that the OP has wronged or badly treated me, The OP feels wronged by the overstayer.

Always a tricky one, the "live and let live" perspective.

Edited by Higgs

The op has made it clear it is OVERSTAYING that has got his goat , it came in very handy for him to have witnessed the OVERSTAYER throwing diesel into the waterway as he is at his keyboard ,pity he never had his camera handy as i may have then believed his accusation .

These are not winter moorings. I have been on my mooring opposite for 15 years and know this for a fact. Winter moorings are about ten minutes cruise further down the canal.

Might not be PC correct but these do not look like the kind of people who would spend the money on a mooring of any kind! Quite sure no permit has been granted.

Hello. Just a quickly, do you reside on your mooring? Or is this all happening on a weekend?

Do the "dossers" on the other side reside on their floating shoe or are they weekend revellers?

The op has made it clear it is OVERSTAYING that has got his goat , it came in very handy for him to have witnessed the OVERSTAYER throwing diesel into the waterway as he is at his keyboard ,pity he never had his camera handy as i may have then believed his accusation .

What - you want a picture of the goat as well?

Hello. Just a quickly, do you reside on your mooring? Or is this all happening on a weekend?

Do the "dossers" on the other side reside on their floating shoe or are they weekend revellers?

How is any of that relevant?

An overstayer is an overstayer regardless of whether they liveaboard or not.

• Greenie 1

Chops wood after midnight, chucks diesel in the canal and runs engine late at night! I would not talk to him too big a risk.

Why, are they symptomatic of an axe wielding psychopath?

I accept the OP states they have tried to speak to the guy but given the response I'm wondering what the approach was (like a couple of others)

If it was 'Ow mush you do know you're not supposed to be running your engine at 10.30 don't you?' then the response was perhaps as expected and actually has possibly led to the boater concerned becoming even more bloody minded about doing it.

OK yes he is in the wrong particularly if he is doing it all the time but sometimes a more restrained approach MAY get the long term result.

Edited by The Dog House