Newbie in need of a experienced member / boater / friend 16th Nov

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Hi Starcoaster,

Here's just how much of a newbie I am....I was thinking "why is he asking me about circuit breakers" surely that can't be one of the "most" important things to look for at this stage smile.png

I had actually started to read the RCD quite some time ago, pc crashed, I got distracted then couldn't remember what the site was called or how I found it in the first place. Have been given the link below and will be finishing reading it tonight. Will post any questions we have regarding it later tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up

B~

Well, the gentleman who is selling it, told me he bought it as a sailaway, & with the help of a couple of mates who work in local boat yards fitted it out. It was meant to be for himself and his partner, but didn't finish fitting it out until late summer 2011. Then in 2012 they only used it for 3 or 4 weekends and this past summer he said he was only on it one 1 day. It's costing him a couple of grand a year in mooring fees, insurance and stuff so he's put it up for sale. Seemed liked and sounded like a fairly believable tale to me on the phone.

I haven't asked how many hours the engine has on it yet, but I believe he's referring to the original engine as still being in new condition. Will double check that on Saturday.

Ta

B~

Bettie Boo,

With regard to the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) - you should read this thread here

Edited by Grace & Favour

Good point DH, and I do appreciate that Dave's post caused a lot of ruffled feathers, and understandably so.

btw, knowing him as I do, there was a fair amount of wit "intended" in his post, however his lack of correctly placed punctuation and "smiley faces" made it read as a poorly scripted scene out of a 1970's psychic horror. Hence my post of apology on his behalf and trying to give an explanation (not excuse) for his post. Although most have seemed willing to give him a second chance, I guess there will be a few who have their minds firmly made up about him and unwilling to change their opinion - again fair enough.

I just thought I had covered all that in my OP and wouldn't be inflected with such comments in "my" request for assistance. But truly, I have picked myself back up, dusted myself off and have vowed to not let petty minded posts hurt, instead I will simply go back to the post and try to clarify what was intended; humor or sarcasm and then respond accordingly detective.gif

Ta

B~

I think it might have been better if your partner had come back and made his apologies himself rather than sending you to do it. He did after all make some pretty offensive remarks. An appropriate apology from him and it would all have been forgiven and forgotten by now.

I think it might have been better if your partner had come back and made his apologies himself rather than sending you to do it. He did after all make some pretty offensive remarks. An appropriate apology from him and it would all have been forgiven and forgotten by now.

I thought much the same.

I thought much the same.

Actually..(without being petty..small minded etc)..I DID take offence to him saying things like that..and then sending his wife to 'smooth it all over'...and say he was really a nice fellow. I may be small minded but I can't say I've publicly said I will hit people in the mouth..I find that disturbing.

Obviously..the above 2 posters (at least) felt the same...

As Betty is obviously..a nicer person..I guess I will just have to settle for her apology...and accept that maybe he is a nice bloke after all.

In the 'spirit' of that...but without Dave saying anything..I will apologise to Betty..

I thought much the same.

Hi dor / Alan,

Understand your comments fully.

Just to reassure all, Dave in No way suggested, sent, asked or implied I respond on his behalf. I did it all on my own, without his knowledge, approval or blessing.

I simply read what he had posted, and the first 4 or 5 responses and thought "oh dear, better nip this in the bud" before it gets out of hand. We have both been long standing members or other unrelated forums and I realized quite quickly that he couldn't make the comments that he had without causing damage. He hadn't been here long enough or made enough postings for people to form their opinions of him yet. If he had been a well established member and people had an informed idea of his "style & humor" they may not have been so quick to jump to conclusions, which I completely understand that they did.

Anyway, rest assured, I'm down beating the "Dave's a kitten, please give him a second chance drum" here; as we've got so far off topic now I'd be surprised if anyone reading this thread would remember that My original post was seeking some assistance on Saturday from anyone willing to able to share their knowledge.

For those members who have made relevant postings / pm's and offers of assistance I really do thank you.

Ta

B~

As Betty is obviously..a nicer person..I guess I will just have to settle for her apology...and accept that maybe he is a nice bloke after all.

In the 'spirit' of that...but without Dave saying anything..I will apologise to Betty..

That's very generous Bobby and stands you in "good stead in my account" cheers.gif

Hi,

Just south of Preston in the little town/village of Chorley off the M61.

B~

Oi you, I was dragged up in Chorley. Chorley is one of the many important mill towns of the cotton industry period.

Only joking really, but to describe it a little village is stretching the imagination.

Hope you get sorted with the boat.

If it's a 2010 boat/ under 5 years old, does it comply with the RCD, or are you happy you understand what that is and can make an informed decision to buy or not if it does not comply?

Well after printing off 3/4 (well up to Appendix 7 anyway) of the RCD, I can honestly answer your question now Starcoaster...and sorry to say the answer is NO I'm not happy that I have a strong enough understanding to make an informed decision to buy or not to if it doesn't comply. But, I'll do my best to break in my new reading glasses tonight, making notes of the bits I don't get and bombarding you kind folks here, as well as the British Marine Federation and RYA with questions tomorrow :)

Thank Gawd, I used to cram for all those high school exams years ago. I feel like I'm 17 again and my finals for grade 11 start tomorrow, and I've remembered to bring home some text books to have to a read of.

LOL the naivety of some of us newbie's, must put a smile on you face from time to time. 3 or 4 months ago we had a simple idea of slowing down our lifestyle, that then lead to a complete lifestyle change, which in turn has lead me tonight to learn such acronyms as CRD / ISO / EEA / RSG / CIN & of course the ESR.

I know I'm a wee bit old fashioned in some ways, but when exactly did we stop spelling out complete words and start using acronyms for Everything??? :)

Thanks to all the "ppl" who've pointed me in the direction of the RCD. As always, much appreciated.

Ta

B~

Oi you, I was dragged up in Chorley. Chorley is one of the many important mill towns of the cotton industry period.

Only joking really, but to describe it a little village is stretching the imagination.

Hope you get sorted with the boat.

LOL sorry about that, was just comparing it in size to Manchester / Preston in size on the Google map :)

B~

I've only just read this, welcome to the forum...smile.png must be kick a newbie week. All this abuse and no one even volunteered to have a look at it with you, I'd have come and kicked the metaphorical tyres if I'd seen it earlier, Chorley's not all that bad, well it is actually but how did it go for me the lack of and RCD makes it a non starter but it's always good to see what your money will get you. Now that you've seen it any chance of a link so the nice people on here can lay into it a bit more.

K

• Greenie 1

I've only just read this, welcome to the forum...smile.png must be kick a newbie week. All this abuse and no one even volunteered to have a look at it with you, I'd have come and kicked the metaphorical tyres if I'd seen it earlier, Chorley's not all that bad, well it is actually but how did it go for me the lack of and RCD makes it a non starter but it's always good to see what your money will get you. Now that you've seen it any chance of a link so the nice people on here can lay into it a bit more.

K

Hi Kevin,

And the offer/support is welcomed, I actually did have a couple of other people pm me saying if they had had more notice they would have gone up with us. Your observation about it being "kick the newbie week" made me laugh. cheers.gif

It's ok though, I've got pretty thick skin and don't normally bit back unless IMO the comments are either downright rude how just plain nasty. See comments below about the boat

B~

Well BB how have you got on? Would love to know how its all going, very difficult time for you, trying to get your head around everything, so much to take onboard and so much to absorb.

Keep Lucky

Phil

Hi Phil,

just got back a couple hours ago. The boat looks & sounds Great. Interior is finished to a really good standard, Oak & Ash above the gunnels, T&G painted below, hardwood floors throughout except the head and 2 bedrooms, T&G ceiling with Oak trim. The engine has just a little over 200 hours on it, so not really broke in completely yet. Bow thruster on the front with 2 batteries for it and it's own gen. No gunk or crap anywhere around the stove chimney. Brand new cratch cover, all it needs out there is a wee table, some cushions and a couple glasses of wine. The galley is perfect for me, loads of top & bottom cupboards and galley / saloon is Very open plan which I quite like as well. It's a Trad Stern, and entering from the stern the first thing is a small electrical / utility room. Again, I really like the idea of that, with us planning on being CC's I appreciate we will be on the move in all kinds of weather and until we can afford to get a pram cover, at least the rain, sleet and snow won't be going directly into the bedroom - that's got to be a good thing.

Dave has noted (not worried or concerned, but aware) that IHO it will need a couple more batteries, maybe a battery management system and not overly happy that the central heating is currently run off kerosene. The gentleman selling the boat said it could easily be changed over to white diesel, but Dave want's to look into to this to see exactly is required to change it over.

We've told the seller that we are very interested; however I made it very clear that I had big concerns about the legality of the sale, with it being a self build and not being 5 years old yet.

Thanks to you lot, and the ppl who sent me the links for the RCD's, I "kinda" sounded like I had some idea about what I was talking about (well he didn't laugh in my face anyway and there were no raised eyebrows). And was able to quote a fair amount of the requirements from the RCD and said there would be no money exchanged for a down payment or survey until we were satisfied that all the documentation was present, accounted for & correct. Including owners manual & declaration of conformity and what that needed to contain, receipts for the gas hook up showing that the installer was a Gas Safe Registered person (I believe that's the new term used to replace CORGI registered), the electrical diagrams, the CIN, Builders Plate, photos from each stage of the build (which he has), all the required technical documentation which conforms with the ESR, electromagnetic compatibility, the notified body assessment in regards to all the essential requirements, exhaust assessment. Well those were the bits I explained we would need to see anyway. He seemed more than confident that he would be able to comply no problem and took the whole grilling in a fairly relaxed way.

Once he has produced the correct documentation to show he Can sell the boat legally, then we'll proceed with the survey and hopefully purchase :) :) :) fingers crossed

Going to do a bit of surfing, and then go to bed and may dream of what "might" be our new home :) Well, actually I may print off a couple more of the RCD annexe's and do a bit more "light" reading

Thanks ever so much for thinking of us today.

Ta

B~

thanks Phil - can honestly say after reading his post I was about to quite the forum altogether, but then my stubbornness kicked in and I won't let someone like that get the better of me. There are too many genuinely helpful, nice people here to let the odd slightly off apple spoil the entire basket.

Ta again

B~

Well said and the right attitude. I had to re read the posts again to ensure that I had not missed something. The comment was inappropriate.

thanks for the interest guys :)

I've really struggled to get the link copied and pasted http://apolloduck.net/148397 but have finally managed it.

She's needs a wee bit of character added to the interior, but most new homes do. And besides that is one of the many things I'm looking forward too, putting our mark on her :)

Our offer has been accepted, with the understanding of the RCD compliance & the outcome of the survey. Oh and he's going to get a new BSS and blacken her as well while she is out of the water.

Ta

B~

thanks for the interest guys smile.png

I've really struggled to get the link copied and pasted http://apolloduck.net/148397 but have finally managed it.

She's needs a wee bit of character added to the interior, but most new homes do. And besides that is one of the many things I'm looking forward too, putting our mark on her smile.png

Our offer has been accepted, with the understanding of the RCD compliance & the outcome of the survey. Oh and he's going to get a new BSS and blacken her as well while she is out of the water.

Ta

B~

Nice boat - and a trad stern wide beam is quite unusual.

Just one point it appears to have neither a horn nor a tunnel light.....

148397_1.jpg