Wanted: Competent all-rounder to help our work in progress!!

Dan Simon

Featured Posts

The OP most certainly defined a day as being ten hours work starting at 8am and finishing at 6pm in his post prior to editing it. He also stated that the work would take three days.

I don't remember any mention of whether the DIY bod still gets paid £450 if not all the work is completed within the 30 hours.

Excellent, but your answer suggests to me you don't have much experience at boat fitting.

When it turns out half way through the job that say, some M6 stainless steel bolt are needed (for example) and you don't have them, does the DIY employee get paid while he waits around for you punt around trying to buy them?

Ok so he can get on with something else given you are confident you have ALL the materials necessary already to hand, but I'll bet my bottom dollar you don't. You probably have most of the bits needed but I doubt you have EVERYTHING. Stuff will emerge that is needed as the job progresses in my personal experience of doing this type of work (30 years+), and sourcing that stuff soaks up vast amounts of time.

Just sayin'...

But no doubt you will be back at me with all guns blazing. You are beginning to remind me of that other bloke on here who upset everyone by dissing all the comments and advice he received a week or so ago. Dar Kuma.

You don't want to give me advice mate, you want me to come down a peg and bend under the might of your knowledge and experience. Sorry to disappoint. Hope you find a health and safety compliant light saber for that jedi cloak.

Edited by Dan Simon

You don't want to give me advice mate, you want me to come down a peg and bend under the might of your knowledge and experience. Sorry to disappoint. Hope you find a health and safety compliant light saber for that jedi cloak.

I'll leave you to it. And I'm not your mate, by the way.

MtB

Also, in my experience, many real tradespeople seem reluctant to take on work in London, because of the vastly increased travel times and costs, so unless OP can factor that in, they could be restricted only to people based fairly close to where the boat is, I think.

Could they not stop aboard the boat?

Hi gang,

I have lived & cruised on boats for 25yrs, fitted out 6 sizeable boats (5 went through B,S,S no prob,1 failed on a ventilation issue,soon rectified) from 32 to 110 ft & various beams.for both myself & 'helping friends out' . Now this doesn't make me a professional boat fitter,but I would argue it shows 'competence'. I consider £150 per day cash in hand a very good rate for a multi skills person.& I like many other people would find the money very useful right now.

I can see mtb points though,especially regarding safty & law. I don't know him personally, But in my opinion, in the short time I've joined & posted in this forum, he seams a very skilled tradesman,with views that are respected by others relating to his field . & let's be very clear, Gas installations shouldn't be taken lightly, that said,if I was closer,I would be offering my help in the OPs project,& would hope after a chat, a sensible solution could be found regarding the gas bits. Even if this ment me working with or under the supervision of a qualified gas person,in order to try and keep costs to a minimum.

At the end of the day,,,,it will be tomorrow.

Good luck OP,hope you find someone.

I'm intact mate, just worried someone who needs some cash out there is going to listening to some smug, self satisfied twerp like Ark Right and think twice. Waiting for someone who DM'd to get back to me, he's first in line, but still open for now. Cheers smile.png

I think quite a few people will be thinking twice,with this unprovoked outburst , well doneclapping.gif

No they wouldn't, as the checks do not say that.

All that a BSS examiner will (should) do, is apply the appropriate checks as they are written, no more and no less.

Interesting.. So the tick boxes are different to the verbals :) I was told most positively by Mr BSO that any gas work undertaken by me would constitute a fail unless checked by a qualified gas safey operative .....

Well I'm on the side of the jedi

Hi gang,

I have lived & cruised on boats for 25yrs, fitted out 6 sizeable boats (5 went through B,S,S no prob,1 failed on a ventilation issue,soon rectified) from 32 to 110 ft & various beams.for both myself & 'helping friends out' . Now this doesn't make me a professional boat fitter,but I would argue it shows 'competence'. I consider £150 per day cash in hand a very good rate for a multi skills person.& I like many other people would find the money very useful right now.

I can see mtb points though,especially regarding safty & law. I don't know him personally, But in my opinion, in the short time I've joined & posted in this forum, he seams a very skilled tradesman,with views that are respected by others relating to his field . & let's be very clear, Gas installations shouldn't be taken lightly, that said,if I was closer,I would be offering my help in the OPs project,& would hope after a chat, a sensible solution could be found regarding the gas bits. Even if this ment me working with or under the supervision of a qualified gas person,in order to try and keep costs to a minimum.

At the end of the day,,,,it will be tomorrow.

Good luck OP,hope you find someone.

No doubt OP will find someone ..... he lucky you around tomorrow to sort out the 'oops' :)

Do you ever leave a post unedited?

As Ark Right points out, dissing people on here is only going to make any competent person very doubtful about working for you. Good people are able to pick and choose their clients. Best you remember this.

MtB

Do you ever leave a post unedited?

As Ark Right points out, dissing people on here is only going to make any competent person very doubtful about working for you. Good people are able to pick and choose their clients. Best you remember this.

MtB

Last I heard, you were leaving me to it! There’s plenty of people out there, as I’ve discovered thanks to this forum, who consider the fee a good one, without worrying if every little bolt is there, if there’s paid breaks, or whether I’m an experienced DIYer myself, etc etc. You’ve made the point that you are very qualified and I’m glad you have a forum for your opinions, but read a little less into a post which is simply looking for a bit of help rather than a full on employee/employer and all the frills gig.

I've got what I came for, thanks everyone for replying.

• Greenie 1

Last I heard, you were leaving me to it! There’s plenty of people out there, as I’ve discovered thanks to this forum, who consider the fee a good one, without worrying if every little bolt is there, if there’s paid breaks, or whether I’m an experienced DIYer myself, etc etc. You’ve made the point that you are very qualified and I’m glad you have a forum for your opinions, but read a little less into a post which is simply looking for a bit of help rather than a full on employee/employer and all the frills gig.

I've got what I came for, thanks everyone for replying.

Perhaps a sense of balance would be good ... you came on telling us how the job was defined by your goodself ... you adjusted your profile, you adjusted your opening post, and now you feel entitled that what you really wanted was 'a bit of help'? .... your fee might be considered 'a good one' ... Have you considered slave labour? ;)

Perhaps a sense of balance would be good ... you came on telling us how the job was defined by your goodself ... you adjusted your profile, you adjusted your opening post, and now you feel entitled that what you really wanted was 'a bit of help'? .... your fee might be considered 'a good one' ... Have you considered slave labour? wink.png

Indeed. The OP came on here arrogantly and over-confidently stating the work will take exactly three days working from 8am to 6pm for which he was willing to pay £150 a day. Then edited these comments out when challenged.

I still think anyone fool enough to work for the OP should sort out what happens if the work is not complete after the three days specified.

MtB

You probably have most of the bits needed but I doubt you have EVERYTHING. Stuff will emerge that is needed as the job progresses in my personal experience of doing this type of work (30 years+), and sourcing that stuff soaks up vast amounts of time.

MtB

Ohhh, the bane of my life. Have I got the right tools - do I take a few tools and trust I guessed right, or do I take all my tools and hope my arms don't drop off half way down the towpath

Richard

• Greenie 1

The hardest and most difficult part of working on boats is not gathering your tools together or dodging the marina staff so you dont get collard as a contractor and have to pay their levy or finding the boat, but getting on board starting the job and realising you left that particular tool / part in your van !

Oh happy days

shaun

The hardest and most difficult part of working on boats is not gathering your tools together or dodging the marina staff so you dont get collard as a contractor and have to pay their levy or finding the boat, but getting on board starting the job and realising you left that particular tool / part in your van !

Oh happy days

shaun

Or just doing the last little job, then having that slow motion moment as you fumble, desperately trying to catch, that tool or part before you see it slowly disappear into that murky water. If only I had just.......

I know of a boat where the owner drilled through the floorboard and went straight through the thinning baseplate! A quick call to some inventive (if that's what you call them) people and they arrived with some treaded bar welded to a metal plate, took the boat to the closest lock, chilled it, drilled hole bigger, went under the boat with plate and mastic, bar through hole washer and nut on, refill lock boat back on mooring! 8 years on and 2 owners later, as far as I know that repair has never been made permanent!!!

Also had a guy working on a site years ago that knocked a 110v transformer into a pond, then stepped in and picked it back out without turning the power off!

Edited by BenC

Interesting.. So the tick boxes are different to the verbals smile.png I was told most positively by Mr BSO that any gas work undertaken by me would constitute a fail unless checked by a qualified gas safey operative .....

Well work done on a liveaboard vessel by somebody who's not Gas Safe Registered might well mean that that person has broken the law, but that's not relevant to the question of whether or not it passes a BSS examination.

I've posted a link to the BSS checks many times over the past year, so I won't bother doing so again (they're not exactly hard to find anyway). A fundamental principle of the BSS is that a boat passes the examination unless it fails. All of the checks are phrased as questions with yes or no answers, and a boat fails on a point if the answer to a question is 'no'. It's not the place of any BSS examiner to start adding their own checks, or interpreting them in a way that's different to the BSS office. Of course there's nothing to stop a BSS examiner offering advice if they feel they've spotted something that concerns them that's outside the remit of the BSS, but they can't insist that that advice is followed before they issue the examination report (assuming all of the checks as written are passed).

I've said it before and doubtless I'll say it again, if you ever get told that something is needed for or banned by the BSS, ask whoever's telling you which check it fails, or go and look up the relevant section for yourself. I've come across numerous situations where people who should know better (like boatyard owners) tell boat owners stuff that either has no basis in fact, or is a gross distortion of the actual situation. One example was a boatyard owner and marine engineer who was telling a boat owner that carrying a spare battery was not permitted. In actual fact, as long as all of the relevant checks regarding it being secured, ventilated, and the terminals insulated are passed, there's no reason why this can't be done.

Well work done on a liveaboard vessel by somebody who's not Gas Safe Registered might well mean that that person has broken the law, but that's not relevant to the question of whether or not it passes a BSS examination.

I've posted a link to the BSS checks many times over the past year, so I won't bother doing so again (they're not exactly hard to find anyway). A fundamental principle of the BSS is that a boat passes the examination unless it fails. All of the checks are phrased as questions with yes or no answers, and a boat fails on a point if the answer to a question is 'no'. It's not the place of any BSS examiner to start adding their own checks, or interpreting them in a way that's different to the BSS office. Of course there's nothing to stop a BSS examiner offering advice if they feel they've spotted something that concerns them that's outside the remit of the BSS, but they can't insist that that advice is followed before they issue the examination report (assuming all of the checks as written are passed).

I've said it before and doubtless I'll say it again, if you ever get told that something is needed for or banned by the BSS, ask whoever's telling you which check it fails, or go and look up the relevant section for yourself. I've come across numerous situations where people who should know better (like boatyard owners) tell boat owners stuff that either has no basis in fact, or is a gross distortion of the actual situation. One example was a boatyard owner and marine engineer who was telling a boat owner that carrying a spare battery was not permitted. In actual fact, as long as all of the relevant checks regarding it being secured, ventilated, and the terminals insulated are passed, there's no reason why this can't be done.

Me and my brother fitted all the gas installation on our boat, mostly my brother who's much better at pipe bending than me laugh.png anyway a friend of my bro's is a corgi gas person so he kindly advised and also checked over the installation for us and did a pressure test. So basically I'm confident the installation is ok and so have 2 BSS inspectors the first chap commenting on what a good job it was.

We've never been asked for any kind of certification that anything that's been worked on or even checked by a corgi inspector. I know of several boaters who have fitted their own gas equipment and not required as such either.

I may be wrong, but I think if a boat is hired out or carries paying passengers, the regulations ( gas ones, I assume) say that the gas system has to be inspected every year. The details are a bit fuzzy now as I am no longer so involved with the passenger carrying boat, but I seem to remember that the BSS inspector couldn't do a gas pressure test nor could he accept the certificate produced by the properly qualified gas safety person, even if it had been produced the same day. He, the BSS examiner, had to be there when the gas safe person did the test. We got round the problem by fitting a bubble tester which seemed to keep everyone happy.

It struck me as a bit odd that the BSS guy, who was not gas safe registered, couldn't acept a certificate from someone who was :-)

haggis

Get a bss guy who is gas safe then there's no problem.

150 quid a day with 12 weeks holiday including bank holidays would equal 30k a year. Doesn't seem that bad really!

Not so good once you subtract the costs of being available in the first place. Running a van, fuel, accountancy fees, insurance, paying out four figure gas training and certification fees every five years and a myriad other expenses. My overheads alone come to approximately £30k a year as a solo bod doing everything by the book.

MtB