help! have a woodburner but cant find anyone to fit it!

jamieee

Featured Posts

Hello, have recently just purchased a narrowboat and moved aboard.im based in sawley at the mo.dont know anyone ere as ive just moved down from sheffield. Have just brought a woodburner but cant find anyone to fit it.can you help. Been trying for weeks but just being led up lots of blind alleyways. And its getting rather chilli if anyone knows anyone in the area I would be massively grateful. Cheers jamie 07813453319

Hello, have recently just purchased a narrowboat and moved aboard.im based in sawley at the mo.dont know anyone ere as ive just moved down from sheffield. Have just brought a woodburner but cant find anyone to fit it.can you help. Been trying for weeks but just being led up lots of blind alleyways. And its getting rather chilli if anyone knows anyone in the area I would be massively grateful. Cheers jamie

Welcome to the forum,

Can't help with your query but personally I would be very wary about putting my personal phone/mobile number in a public forum.

You can edit your post if you agree using the edit button, to the left of the multi quote button bottom right of your post.

People can respond in the thread and when you have posted five messages by personal message if they prefer.

Good luck!

Edited by The Dog House

Hello, have recently just purchased a narrowboat and moved aboard.im based in sawley at the mo.dont know anyone ere as ive just moved down from sheffield. Have just brought a woodburner but cant find anyone to fit it.can you help. Been trying for weeks but just being led up lots of blind alleyways. And its getting rather chilli if anyone knows anyone in the area I would be massively grateful. Cheers jamie 07813453319

I can't help but do you mean do a new installation, i.e. cut a hole in the roof, fit a collar, fireboard if necessary, tile and all that or is it just a straight replacement? A replacement should just be a competent DIYer the full monty is more of a boatyard job.

Kev

Have a look at the following link http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf there always seams to be confusion betweem "Requirement" and "Recomendation" especially with the double skinned flue. The hardest bit would be the sighting of the stove in relation to bulkheads and roof bearers

Good luck, been there done that. Everyone we spoke to wanted to do it according to BS8511 (ie, double skinned flue, etc) and that added a lot to the price, then installation was about £2000 (that was the 1 quote we did receive, the other 2 reputable firms didn't even bother quoting). In the end , did a bunch of research and did it myself, saving thousands. Its worth it, even if you need to buy tools (I needed some stuff for tiling, and a special jigsaw blade to cut stainless steel, and probs more stuff too).

I did mine myself and it really wasn't that hard at all. I got lots of advice and then set about. The worst bit was drilling the hole in the roof for the collar - but only because it was so cold and my jigsaw was norty. The second time I did it (I moved the stove 4 ft back) it was just as simple. Make sure you know where everything goes (I asked the shop I bought my kit from) and then ensure you allow enough time to take it slowly.

Try Alex Ramsey at Sileby Mill. I built the surround on Tyto and Alex and Andy then fitted the stove. They cut the holes in the roof and fixed the stove down.Also worth asking Ally who posts on here if she knows anyone who might do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the double skinning to avoid risk of burning? In which case, if you put an open cage around the chimney instead could this not be a useful source of heat? Am I an idiot?

Hi

Its obviously up to you but if you are not sorted yet and you are still in Sawley/Nott area I can pop over tomorrow during the day and show you where and how to fit the stove and whats involved. I am too busy to do it for you but free advice is on offer if you want it.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

Its obviously up to you but if you are not sorted yet and you are still in Sawley/Nott area I can pop over tomorrow during the day and show you where and how to fit the stove and whats involved. I am too busy to do it for you but free advice is on offer if you want it.

Cheers

Tim

What an exemplary offer of help!

CWDF at its best.....

Wow. Thanks everyone for your reponses. Never been on a forum before. Still no joy having my burner fitting. Would love mrsmelly to come have a look if you could. Tried to email direct but not sure how to. My numbers above if youd like to give me a call. That would be amazing. Thanks again everyone. Jamie

Is the double skinning to avoid risk of burning? In which case, if you put an open cage around the chimney instead could this not be a useful source of heat? Am I an idiot?

The double skin is to keep the air hot as it goes up the flue thus keeping the fire drawing air in at the bottom. Giving the air more upwards pull reduces the risk of fumes/CO coming out of the fire itself and killing you, plus you can't burn your fingers as some icing on the cake. If you had an angled flue with some elbows in it might help if the fire didn't draw properly but on a normal (fairly) straight up pipe it's not really worth the money unless you're prone to be unsteady on your feetcheers.gif

K

I know a bloke in Shardlow who has fitted at least 3 that I personally know of.

I am currently trying to contact him at work.

When he rings me back I'll give him your number to get in touch.

Brrrrrr

ETA I have now given him your number and he will be in touch.

Turns out he has fitted dozens in houses (inspected to building regs) and 6 informally in boats but he will be contacting a surveyor re latest regs.

I have seen his work which is very sound.

Edited by andywatson

The double skin is to keep the air hot as it goes up the flue thus keeping the fire drawing air in at the bottom. Giving the air more upwards pull reduces the risk of fumes/CO coming out of the fire itself and killing you, plus you can't burn your fingers as some icing on the cake. If you had an angled flue with some elbows in it might help if the fire didn't draw properly but on a normal (fairly) straight up pipe it's not really worth the money unless you're prone to be unsteady on your feetcheers.gif

K

And in keeping the combustion gases warm, it makes the stove more efficient meaning that considerable savings can be made on fuel according to the man behind Soliftec.

BTW our stove was fitted in our home with 4m of double skinned stainless flue-pipe for £1300-£1400 (2010). So I am a little surprised at the £2K quote - perhaps a bit OTT

Hi all.....newbie here....my boat is trapped in shardlow at the moment until the river subsides. I shall be installing a small wood burner also at some point and I would be very interested to see how it is done.....so if you need an extra pair of hands give me a shout. I should be down at the boat Monday to Thursday next week.