Narrowboat? Cutter

Barry

Featured Posts

This question was prompted by a thought that would have taken another thread off topic so I started my own.

In the past few months I've seen a boat called Cutter on the Macclesfield between Poynton and Marple.

I googled it and found it here on a blog (fifth sixth and seventh photos down in the centre column)

I think its a very interesting looking boat and the engine makes a great sound. Does anyone know anything about it?

Edited by Bazza2

I think that the author of the NB Albert blog has got slightly muddled.

The actual owner of the boat I thought is called Martin Fuller, (not Malcolm, as he has it), brother to the more well known Roger Fuller, boat-builder of Stone. (Happy to be corrected if he's right and I'm wrong though!)

AFAIK the brothers are twins, and to my eye probably identical twins. Certainly when we see them out boating I am usually only to tell them apart from context, (and the fact that Roger usually wears a Trilby, whereas his brother seems to wear other headgear, including sometimes, IIRC, a naval type cap.)

So in short "Cutter" is from the same general school that both restores many old boats, and also builds a lot of new replicas.

It is certainly an unusual and very distinctive boat.

It was involved in "Tug of Wars" at Ellesmere Port at Easter, but when I saw it was not a winning boat.

Not sure what engine it has.

Correct as always, oh Wise One smile.png Martin has two other claims to fame, one he skippered Warrior on her maiden voyage following her extensive renovations and even came up the pub though he does not drink and steered us back up the 'silver road' and the other is...................................?. I always thought that Martin was much less in your face than Roger but I don't know either of them very much

Edited by PaddingtonBear

I think Cutter is a very distinctive and in my view, attractive boat. Ad Alan has suggested - it has all the hallmarks of a quality vessel bult by those who know how it should be done.

I am unsure if this link will work but I captured a video of it as it passed our mooring last December. It is hosted on FB so those with an account should be able to access it ok.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151303174529070&set=vb.685704069&type=3&theater

Do you guys really like this? It looks awful to me! Like a double glazing showroom where every window is different. Perhaps made from parts out of the scrap bin, or maybe built in a confined location that prevented standing back and taking it in as a whole. The hull looks nice though.

I mailed the owner of the original blog, and he says he has corrected the name of "Cutter's" owner and builder.

I just happened to find these when looking for something else....

Andrew Watts' Flickr images of this year's Ellesmere Port Easter Gathering feature quite a few images of "Cutter", including in a Tug of War against Empress.

One also shows Martin Fuller to the left, (with a sandwich!), in cap and overalls, and Roger Fuller to the right in Trilby.

Still no clues what the engine is, though!

Edited by alan_fincher

Correct as always, oh Wise One smile.png Martin has two other claims to fame, one he skippered Warrior on her maiden voyage following her extensive renovations and even came up the pub though he does not drink and steered us back up the 'silver road' and the other is...................................?. I always thought that Martin was much less in your face than Roger but I don't know either of them very much

Roger Fuller 'in your face'? Not in my experience. Lovely guy.

I'm pretty sure (if I remember correctly) that the engine is a Lister HA2 in its own little engine room.

Oh, I do so hope that proves to be true.

It would be a pleasant change for me not to guess wrongly!...

Dunno,

I suspect it is an "H" series engine - but I'm usually pretty bad at these guessing games!

Is it really necessary to write that? By all means think things yourself, but do you really need to voice them on a public forum like this?

It is not "necessary" to write anything at all in the forum. However, it is a discussion forum, where opinions are voiced and debated. I do not know the Fullers personally, but our ursine friend obviously does and is entitled to his opinion.

That said, welcome to CWF, Mr. Waters.

Edited by Athy