Alternative hot water supply method.

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

I do love the lateral thinking involved in being "off-grid"... I had identified the need for an emergency water cache in a container should my tanked supply be compromised for any reason and in a eureka moment conceived the notion that should this container be a metal Jerry Can this could also be stood flush against the side of the wood-burner to produce copious quantities of hot water should my engine ever fail me for a few days. NB! the Cap would need to be left open in order to avoid pressure build up ...unless it is authentic ex-military of course which have breather vents...though two thirds full would still be advisable for safety's sake and I would still be tempted to leave it open anyway...just in case.

We had a similar eureka moment years ago, we put a 5 litre Aga kettle on the stove laugh.png I see where you're coming from though. TBH if you run out of hot water boil some up on the cooker, a 25l jerry can is a wee bit unsightly and awkward to handle especially when hot.

In our attempt to live off grid we've tried to have 2 or more of everything. Engine has 2 alternators. So will new inboard diesel generator. We can supply hot water either by engine or stove back boiler, and a third option of a solar collector for next summer. We carry a spare water & Shower pump. We have solar engine or generator for power, we even have 3 diesel tanks laugh.png We do need another heating option though, only one stove, it's surprising how much heat the cooker produces though icecream.gif

It would indeed Dean, though I was planning only actually to do it when I needed a large amount of hot water for immediate (ish) use, you are quite right Julynian a kettle would normally suffice, but I was planning on a belt and braces.... and belt... basis...absolute worse case stuff..ie no engine + no gas + no money, a replacement hot water system for all needs inc bathing, laundry etc and it would be easier and far safer to handle than a pan with a similarly large capacity. wink.png

I like to be prepared.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

I think it extremely unlikely that a jerry can stood flush against your woodburner would produce 'copious amounts of hot water for immediate use'. Perhaps a back-boiler? Sorry to pour cold water on such enthusiasm.

Or perhaps it's a wind-up. If so, then DOH!

Edited 'cos I needed a p.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I think it extremely unlikely that a jerry can stood flush against your woodburner would produce 'copious amounts of hot water for immediate use'. Perhaps a back-boiler? Sorry to pour cold water on such enthusiasm.

Or perhaps it's a wind-up. If so, then DOH!

Edited 'cos I needed a p.

I don't know about that. I've just picked up the coal bucket that has stood by the stove to refill it and wished I hadn't.

Regards

Pete

Some good thoughts on this...the condensation could indeed be an issue as it would need to get "hot" within a few of hours to be of any use, but nowhere near boiling of course. I was thinking along the lines of the heat transference from the engine coolant tank to the adjacent water tank which some boats use and that surely the side plate of a wood-burner gets hotter?..though of course I could well be mistaken in this notion. The tube out of the window on the breather or around the cap is an excellent idea (thanks Pete and Helen) ...and the legionella concern is a valid one though if it didn't work first time out satisfactorily I wouldn't leave it standing there ...Anyway I'll get one and give it a try and let you all know if it works, thanks for the all the replies..."I'm not mean... just careful" and I love the idea of any type fuel generating as many useful things as possible as it is consumed.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

............ I was thinking along the lines of the heat transference from the engine coolant tank to the adjacent water tank which some boats use and that surely the side plate of a wood-burner gets hotter?.

I assume you are referring to a calorifier heated by the engine. In this case there is a continuous flow of hot water rom the engine through a large surface area coil transferring the engine heat to a well-insulated calorifier (hot water tank). If you just stick a jerrycan of water next to to your stove, there is an imperfect contact for the transfer of heat, and in addition the lower half of the can would stay relatively cool - the floor immediately adjacent to my stove is no more than warm. You would stand more chance of success by putting the can on top of the stove, like a kettle. Even then, a jerrycan has quite a large surface area, so would lose heat as fast as it gains it unless well insulated, which may be quite difficult in these circumstances. I believe some people have experimented with putting a water jacket round the flue to get a hot water supply, but can't give you any references to this. I wouldn't bother too much about condensation - I don't think it'll get hot enough to produce any!

I can't believe I just typed all that, and am still wondering if this is a wind-up.

Get a grip. A calorifier and a Morco is the way to go. The cloryfryer is heated by the engine when you've run out of gas, and the Morco heats the water with gas when your engine is busted.

My god, Heath Robinson could learn loads from some of the nutso ideas promoted on here!

MtB

Get a grip. A calorifier and a Morco is the way to go. The cloryfryer is heated by the engine when you've run out of gas, and the Morco heats the water with gas when your engine is busted.

My god, Heath Robinson could learn loads from some of the nutso ideas promoted on here!

MtB

To be fair though, some of us are saddled with inferior stoves. Assuming worst case scenario, desiring hot water but no means other than fire to achieve it (am discounting black body radiation), the sticking of bucket alongside stove appeals. Thoughts on how to draw extra heat via more simplistic approach has produced another solution.

Am assuming that boat is moored up in location with side hatch giving easy access to canal side.... (this is a desirable rather than necessary condition)

Open side hatch. Take ashes from stove and form a base on path. Add kindling as necessary. Stick warm bucket(s) of water on top of bonny fire and go find glove. When temperature of water is as desired, carefully remove start of copious supply.

Advantages of his method. You can cook jacket potaoes/sausages/boil rice/ etc at the same time

A boiled kettle will give enough hot water for washing or doing the dishes. One 13kg bottle costs about £26.One bottle lasts me at least five months, more if you cruise and use "free" heat from calorifier. That's 17p a day or a fiver a month. One of the few things on a boat that is incredibly cheap.

MtB

I agree about the calorifier, and especially the Morco. We had a Morco on the previous boat and we really miss it. There is always the kettle too.

That said though, I do love a bit of heath Robinson approach. Given that one can't stand on a hot narrowboat roof in summer, I am amazed that more inventive people haven't used this wasted energy to heat water. Some R&D blokes I worked with years ago painted some central heating rads matt black, and got a lot of heat out of them in an experiment.

Given that one can't stand on a hot narrowboat roof in summer, I am amazed that more inventive people haven't used this wasted energy to heat water. Some R&D blokes I worked with years ago painted some central heating rads matt black, and got a lot of heat out of them in an experiment.

Otherwise known as Solar Heating, and available commercially for years now, much more energy-efficient than photovoltaic solar panels, if it's just hot water you're after. Never seen any on boats, though.

Otherwise known as Solar Heating, and available commercially for years now, much more energy-efficient than photovoltaic solar panels, if it's just hot water you're after. Never seen any on boats, though.

Then ye haven't seen my boat! And yes it works. Still giving me some this month (October)

Re other thing

To prevent loss of heat stand the jerrycan on an insulated mat . . .

Better still, weld something up with a large lid so you can ladle water out like was done for many years with the old cooking ranges. A back boiler didn't used to be plumbed in.

Edited by SamKingfisher

I'm gleaning all the bits to make one for next year. Iv'e seen one on a n/b though around the Trowbridge area it looked like a manufactured one though. The one I'm making is ball park about 6f/t x 3f/t and should heat water sufficiently in a calorifier for washing up showers etc.

An idea is just an idea, they come and go, some are good some are bad it matters little but an idea always sparks other ideas if it is shared, some good some bad, but if an idea were never shared in case others thought it a bad one we would still be sitting and shivering in a cave somewhere....hence I shall continue to post my ideas, some good, some bad and some inevitably absolutely ridiculous...some extremely interesting replies thank you all.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

I had one on my last boat worked ok but when I sold the boat the new owner wanted it removed! Nowt as queer as folk hot water for free and they dont want it

Peter