Shads BCN Plates

Tiggers

Featured Posts

I still hold a original BW letter of authority originating from Stoke Bruerne which allows me with permission to access, assess and remove artecfacts of interest from BW premises for delivery to Stoke Bruerne museum. During the early and mid 1970's my (ex) wife and I travelled all round the system visiting various yards and offices and collecting a vast amount of paperwork, signs, tools etc. this was done on a volunteer basis and we were just given something back to cover the fuel. Other people too were doing the same.

Within a few years I did start to wonder where all this stuff went, some appeared on display but some turned up elsewhere, and in private hands, access to the store at Stoke was un supervised so the untrustworthy could have a field day if they so wished.

Sadly BW didnt learn anything from this and their storage annotation and record keeping of artefacts was and probably still is woeful. At least with private collectors the artefacts are looked after and cherised in most cases even if they are not always available for public access.

• Greenie 2

Just in case there is anyone who is interested reading this thread (and without wishing to get into any political arguments about the rights and wrongs of the issue)

The winner of the plate did buy it with the intention of reuniting it with Shad. They have expressed that is their intention and the plate will be sent to Ellesmere Port to be reunited with the boat :)

I am aware there were a number of people who wanted that to happen and were prepared to put their money where their mouth was and bid on the plate. Sadly I suspect (but have no proof) that in their haste to try and get the plate back for Shad they were all outbidding each other which may have artificially inflated the price the winning bidder needed to pay.

Chris B had agreed to act as a transfer point for the plate to get it up to Ellesmere Port as he sees the winning bidder regularly.

There are a number of people who have expressed a desire to chip in towards the cost of repatriating the plate with the boat. I suspect many of them are those who may have bid it up to try and get it in the first place but there are others such as me who feels that this is a cause worth chipping in with a couple of quid for. Anyone wishing to assist with the cost of the plate can send a PM to Chris B here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=2176

He can accept a paypal payment from you or he will accept other payments at the Buckby Banter on 26th if anyone finds that easier

It is good news that the plate will go back to the boat. It is excellent that someone had pockets deep enough to ensure that happened. Perhaps those people who share my pleasure that the plate will be reunited might be willing to show their gratitude to the guy with the deep pockets by chipping in?

A good result all round then, and at a price only slightly above what a replacement would have cost from one of the suppliers of replicas. I am not sure if the price was inflated as a result of everyone wishing to get it back or whether it stopped people from bidding for their own collections, very hard to say really isnt it.

It should also be noted that if people such as the vendor hadn't actively rescued such artefacts they would have likely ended up melted down for scrap.

Shad would never have had the opportunity to be reunited with its plates if a scrapman had got there before an enthusiast.

• Greenie 4

will it be going on the boat if so would you like a second (new) one?

I'm not sure what the plan is, she is going back in Anderton colours, will have to have a look where they were placed. It'll certainly go somewhere on the boat I'm sure :)

I'm not sure what the plan is, she is going back in Anderton colours, will have to have a look where they were placed. It'll certainly go somewhere on the boat I'm sure smile.png

In the Anderton days only one plate was on the boat IIRC, I have photos of her at Wolverhampton top in 1969, the plates went either side of e/room B/H just under back end rail.

In the Anderton days only one plate was on the boat IIRC, I have photos of her at Wolverhampton top in 1969, the plates went either side of e/room B/H just under back end rail.

We only have a couple of pics of her in the Anderton days and none of them show the front bulkhead

This how BW looked after their boats!! You can see the BCN plate in this photo which should still be with the boat.

gallery_5000_522_55142.jpg

Certainly not in the same spot when I took this pic, in the Willow Wren NW fleet period (1965 probably):-

Shad-2.jpg

Tim

The man on the back deck with a box on his head is clearly the Harlem Shake catalyst and the one in the dog costume is just waiting for the bass drop.

Oh how I wish I hadn't Googled that.

I mean - why?

Richard