Macclesfield Water Point - Angry Tirade

Jigsawged

Featured Posts

I admit I'm not expecting anything satisfactory to emerge. I moved from a mooring above Bosley to one below when they reinstated the manual swing bridge (which had been left open without complaints for years), put a lock on it so you had to close it in the face of approaching boats and left it in a state when it took about three people to move it. That being said, they did finally fix the stop lock when I told them it was about to be a waterfall instead...

Don't hold your breath! Remember, this is the local CART that spent £thousands of your money appeasing this man in the first place, that closed the winding hole at Bollington to lease it for commercial mooring, and that steadfastly refuses to accept that there are any depth, dredging or obstruction issues, not only on the Macc, but anywhere in their area.

George ex nb Alton retired

I suspect that this may well be something to take up as a formal complaint that CRT are failing in their legal obligations as to the use of the Macclesfield Canal as a Cruiseway, in forbidding mooring in a site where there is no necessity, simply to appease a resident who arrived LONG after the canal.

As a water point, there would have been frequent arrivals and departures. As a VM, with a sign requesting engines not be run, they have done a great deal to reduce the impact on the resident. A demand that no boats be allowed to moor there is the thin end of the wedge.

Just got this from Eric Poole:

"In response to the removal of the bollards this was due to the removal of the water point at this site and re-sited elsewhere, we currently have no plans to provide additional moorings at this time in this area.

Moorings are still available to boaters in the Macclesfield area of the canal and surrounding areas for the period of up to 14 days, unless otherwise stated."

I've asked him in reply where he think the moorings for Macc town now are, seeing as he seems to have removed the only ones that there ever were!

"In response to the removal of the bollards this was due to the removal of the water point at this site and re-sited elsewhere, we currently have no plans to provide additional moorings at this time in this area.

Moorings are still available to boaters in the Macclesfield area of the canal and surrounding areas for the period of up to 14 days, unless otherwise stated."

I've asked him in reply where he think the moorings for Macc town now are, seeing as he seems to have removed the only ones that there ever were!

Getting sensible responses from BW/CART is like trying to nail a jelly to the wall:-(

When we went through Macc a couple of weeks ago, there were plenty of boats moored in the pound just to the south (bridges 38-39?). The moorings there looked a lot better than the official ones further on (once you'd weaved past the sunken boat, at any rate).

Came through Macclesfield yesterday and wanted to moor up for a visit to the town.

The moorings are a disgrace and it`s pretty obvious the residents / commercial outlets of Macclesfield would rather that the canal was not there.

A "strimmer" on the banks would be a great help but like others here I am quite happy to pass through and spend my money elsewhere.

Don't pick on us residents - we like it. It's just a local town for local people, we don't want outsiders coming in, looking at us strangely and speaking in their heathen tongues. They're probably all bloody southerners anyway, them on their shiny damn boats...

May I make the polite point, however, that it's a Tory council and a safe Tory seat, so who the **** do you think is going to listen to anyone who actually lives here?

I have noted with interest the befuddled boaters who drift aimlessly by calling out to anyone who may hear "Where is the water point?" For there is nothing obvious, like the white painted mooring bollards that exist throughout the network, which indicate to the weary traveller that some kind of facility exists. Indeed, the water point itself when found, appears to be dismissed as something irrelevant.

What can be seen is a reasonable stretch of old Yorkshire stone embankment (for many years used to moor BW work boats at the adjacent yard) which does offer a decent place to land. There are antique rings in the bank (well camouflaged by the passing of the years). The water point is not in any way similar to the tall black posts with a white painted crown but rather a diminutive stainless steel object about 2 ft high. There is no sign or indication that it is in fact a water point available to licence paying boaters. One could almost believe that the authority would prefer to retain it as a well kept secret, possibly to reduce any water charge.

I noticed at the weekend that on the only reasonable mooring on the town embankment, boats were now breasting off each other to gain access to the town. It is ludicrous and I am at a loss to understand what the devil CaRT considers reasonable mooring access to the town. Yes, it is certainly easier to moor south of the town but only if you don't mind walking on for about 3/4 mile to the "town moorings" where good access to the town centre may be found.

Edited to correct typo

Edited by Jigsawged

I have noted with interest the befuddled boaters who drift aimlessly by calling out to anyone who may hear "Where is the water point?" For there is nothing obvious, like the white painted mooring bollards that exist throughout the network, which indicate to the weary traveller that some kind of facility exists. Indeed, the water point itself when found, appears to be dismissed as something irrelevant.

What can be seen is a reasonable stretch of old Yorkshire stone embankment (for many years used to moor BW work boats at the adjacent yard) which does offer a decent place to land. There are antique rings in the bank (well camouflaged by the passing of the years). The water point is not in any way similar to the tall black posts with a white painted crown but rather a diminutive stainless steel object about 2 ft high. There is no sign or indication that it is in fact a water point available to licence paying boaters. One could almost believe that the authority would prefer to retain it as a well kept secret, possibly to reduce any water charge.

What also has to be remembered is that the new (single) water point that replaces two removed, is not available 24/7. The dreaded elf and safety decrees that whenever CART need the mooring to load one of their workboats the new water point will be banned for boaters. Given that the new water point is situated on the mooring attached to the CART yard at Swettenham St, where workboats habitually load, just how available will this new water point be?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this from CART:

"After speaking with Eric and the local engineer, they said we didn't actually remove the visitor moorings. All we moved were the two water-points to a single central location.

The visitor moorings themselves were left in place, with only the bollards removed (these were immediately behind the property in question, as these were for the water-point).

All visitor moorings are still in place.

A member of staff are visiting the area today and if the signage is there relating to this they have been asked to remove it."

Not sure how much use the designated visitor moorings are going to be now they've taken the bollards out, as the water points WERE the designated visitor mooring. Daft in the first place, but that's Macclsfield for you.

We moved away from Macclesfield Marina over the attitude to dogs there but have been back & visitors moorings are a joke - although the ones further down are OK - everywhere else seems OK although Macclesfield doesn't have a town council so maybe that's the problem

• 1 year later...

Went through Macclesfield today only stopping for water at the new water point. What a disgrace! The water point was hard to get to thanks to CRT maintenance vessels and the day hire boat at the marina. Mine is only a 50ft boat so it must be extremely difficult in any larger narrowboat.

As for the moorings, I was met with the same frosty reception as mentioned above... "do not run engines whilst boat is moored". Why buy a house next to a canal? The canal was here in the early 1800's ohmy.png The moorings were also only 24 hours ohmy.png Why take the bollards away just because the water point has been moved?

I really needed to moor up somewhere as it was getting dark. So, on towards Hurdsfield..... hmm, there were signs for a pub but unfortunately no viable place to moor. I am now moored up in the middle of nowhere between Hurdsfield and Kerridge on mooring stakes. This was the only suitable edge of the canal without overgrown reeds that I found since Gurnett.

Come on C&RT!!!

Edited by Benjam

I am now moored up in the middle of nowhere between Hurdsfield and Kerridge on mooring stakes. This was the only suitable edge of the canal without overgrown reeds that I found since Gurnett.

Come on C&RT!!!

That's what mooring stakes are made for....mooring on the towpath...sorry you had such a bad experience, but enjoy the peaceful tranquility...the Macc is a wonderfully beautiful canal....lucky you.

That's what mooring stakes are made for....mooring on the towpath...sorry you had such a bad experience, but enjoy the peaceful tranquility...the Macc is a wonderfully beautiful canal....lucky you.

I know that's what mooring stakes are for Dean, but they are not my preferred method of mooring since last time I used them I was subject to the effects of an inconsiderate boater. What I did expect was, half decent mooring in a major town and the town after which the canal has been named.

You are quite right though, the Macclesfield canal is beautiful. Yes I am lucky :)

I am not a boater (yet) but do like the French in cases like this

The vote with their feet

As much as i love Grance but dislike some of the locals they do have some morals and in a case like this there would be a load of canal boats queuing to moor at this spot over the next year and would cause havoc with the local canal authority until something is done about it

• Greenie 1

The moorings at Macclesfield have always been a disgrace. Even when the waterpoints were on the towpath side, you couldn't get close in, and always had to jump the last couple of feet to the steep bank, and the bottom and side of the boat was always grinding on the rocks. There's one short area of concrete that you can get into and that's it. The mooring rings and bollards are still there, for what they are worth - but it's a horrible place to moor. There have never been moorings at Macclesfield that weren't on the waterpoints..

I came up here first thirty years back and it was no better then - now I live here and never, ever moor in Macclesfield except briefly to go shopping. It's hopeless. The first decent mooring is at Sutton Aquaduct assuming you can get in there because of all the overstayers! I've complained to CaRt, I've complained to Macclesfield council (when there was one), and pointed out to the tourist board that they are losing trade. Compare it to Bollington, where the moorings are great. Mind you, Marple's as bad...

The Macc Canal society have made it worse by insisting on re-instating the manual swing bridge just above the locks, which is usually almost impossible to move. The towpath is collapsing in places and heading for a breach in the not too distant future... all in all, it's a shame as it's basically a stunning canal.

Went through Macclesfield today only stopping for water at the new water point. What a disgrace! The water point was hard to get to thanks to CRT maintenance vessels and the day hire boat at the marina. Mine is only a 50ft boat so it must be extremely difficult in any larger narrowboat.

As for the moorings, I was met with the same frosty reception as mentioned above... "do not run engines whilst boat is moored". Why buy a house next to a canal? The canal was here in the early 1800's ohmy.png The moorings were also only 24 hours ohmy.png Why take the bollards away just because the water point has been moved?

As I have pointed out several times, these houses are NEW BUILD. Never mind buying a house next to the canal, why build next existing water point and visitor moorings and then complain.

Never mind, CRT may not have the bottle to tell these people where to go but they do have lots of our licence money. They intend spending a six figure sum moving the moorings to appease the complainers. The final salt in the wound is that they are characterising this as an improvement to boaters facilities and are putting this expenditure in that column of their balance sheet.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that some of the mooring rings have been cut off ( with an angle grinder ? ).

Hope they check when they have a look. The alternate ones were cut flush when we moored there in July.

If, you are referring to Bollington, this has been mentioned in other threads.

BW/CRT are fully aware who did it and why and have taken the appropriate action (in their opinion), of covering the visitor mooring signs.

• Greenie 1

If they actually put in decent moorings somewhere where there is access to the town centre that can only be an improvement, surely. The ONLY places marked as visitor moorings before were actually on the water points apart from the one forty foot stretch of concrete. There may be a sign saying "please don't run your engines outside people's houses" but the original mooings outside the pub are still there, for what they are worth, but they are just rocky and unpleasant. And I can't see why the sign is intimidating - it's there because a few people have sat outside there for hours on end with their engines running.

To blame this on householders is, i think a bit unfair - last year there was an liveaboard at the 48 hour mooring at Congleton Wharf who stayed there from September to March (when CART finally managed to run him off) and ran his very noisy engine from 8 in the moring to 8 at night, day in and day out. It doesn't take many people like that to cause trouble for the bulk of us who go and moor somewhere quiet to do it.

If they actually put in decent moorings somewhere where there is access to the town centre that can only be an improvement, surely. The ONLY places marked as visitor moorings before were actually on the water points apart from the one forty foot stretch of concrete. There may be a sign saying "please don't run your engines outside people's houses" but the original mooings outside the pub are still there, for what they are worth, but they are just rocky and unpleasant. And I can't see why the sign is intimidating - it's there because a few people have sat outside there for hours on end with their engines running.

To blame this on householders is, i think a bit unfair - last year there was an liveaboard at the 48 hour mooring at Congleton Wharf who stayed there from September to March (when CART finally managed to run him off) and ran his very noisy engine from 8 in the moring to 8 at night, day in and day out. It doesn't take many people like that to cause trouble for the bulk of us who go and moor somewhere quiet to do it.

The marked visitor moorings are considerably longer than 40ft, several full length boats in fact. They have also been marked visitor moorings for at least 15 years before the construction of the complaining houses.

It will be impossible to find an alternative site for moorings that has an adjacent pub, shops, no housing to complain AND is nearer to the centre of Macc.

Re Congleton, I think it is grossly unfair that we all have to suffer AND pay for the inability of CRT to enforce their own regulations.

Well, I thought that. I couldn't see where they could put them anywhere nearer the town centre. I know the marked visitor moorings are longer than 40 foot, but there's only a 40 ft stretch where you can actually get your boat against the bank - the rest of them leave you at least a foot out in the canal against a ledge with rocks under the boat. And they were all on the water points, although how you get at the water point / mooring north of the bridge I have never worked out. I agree re Congleton.

But the visitor moorings in Macc are still there, and if a bit of work was done on them so you could actually moor safely it would be nice! I never understood why the Macc Canal Society didn't take it up, instead of just painting railings (which admittedly look very nice) and messing about with swing bridges that nobody wants. But then I never joined the Society, so I suppose I'm to blame too...

Edited by Arthur Marshall

I spent quite a while on the Macc this summer - all of it both ways and more, and do you know? I didn't have any particular problems, or if I did, i've forgotten them. Once you get to know a canal, its difficulties seem more like lovable idiosyncrasies. NOW, the bloody HNC...................cool.png

But that's the joy of the HNC! (which is I guess what you are saying about the Macc!)

But that's the joy of the HNC! (which is I guess what you are saying about the Macc!)

I was only joking! (Didn't you see the little chap with the shades? I'm an HNC freak, as probably shown by me always jumping into any HNC thread.) But this thread is about the Macc, and my comments from 2013 apply again this year, when I again traversed it twice. But it means something when I tell you that I have only moored overnight in Macclesfield once in twenty years.

My boat lives on the Macc I(below Bosley now, but I used to be above the locks) and has done for ten years now, and I have never been tempted to overnight In Macclesfield. Too many oher good places to moor, both in towns or villages and the countryside. Mind you, the Peak Forest, if I remember rightly, is going the same way, with the visitor moorings at New Mills disappearing into the distance...