Coventry Basin

FredW

Featured Posts

We had a mixed visit to Coventry Basin. Our daughter lived in one of the flats overlooking the site. The Motor Museum is well worth a visit and will take quite some time if you want to view all the exhibits. The coconuts floating in the canal were something of a mystery addition. The wardens first question was when are you leaving. The answer was when I'm ready. We timed it for the godiva 'carnival' and I enjoyed every moment of that. Most of the basin shops were closed.

Our problem was young bandits on a bridge, throwing bricks and spitting.

I would go again, this time I would have the Oerlikon 20mm cannon ready primed! clapping.gif

We had a mixed visit to Coventry Basin. Our daughter lived in one of the flats overlooking the site. The Motor Museum is well worth a visit and will take quite some time if you want to view all the exhibits. The coconuts floating in the canal were something of a mystery addition. The wardens first question was when are you leaving. The answer was when I'm ready. We timed it for the godiva 'carnival' and I enjoyed every moment of that. Most of the basin shops were closed.

Our problem was young bandits on a bridge, throwing bricks and spitting.

I would go again, this time I would have the Oerlikon 20mm cannon ready primed! clapping.gif

Hindu tradition is the reason for the coconuts.

It's a shame Nuneaton do not take more care of there stretch & realise the benefits of cleaning it up a little.

Your not wrong there, i live very close to the canal and it offers nothing for the network, there was talk some years ago about turning one of the old quarrys into a basin, but then they built houses on it!

It needs something to make people want to visit the area, such a waste!

Hindu tradition is the reason for the coconuts.

I noticed that there were a few asian people walking along the towpath. So I assume it has some significance to those people. I also remember passing a small boat that was busy working along the canal collecting rubbish, from the water and towpath. I think it was called the 'womble' or some such name with a similar sort of connotation.

From memory, Swan Lane Wharf (where Clubline use to reside) is about 1.5 - 2 miles from the basin.

It's still marked on our rather dated Nicholsons. We discovered it was no longer there when we had a very unsuccessful trip from the basin for a pump out.

It's still marked on our rather dated Nicholsons. We discovered it was no longer there when we had a very unsuccessful trip from the basin for a pump out.

Well, Swan Lane Wharf is definitely still there because that's where you and Dave took Cobbett out from for the BCN Challenge and the pump-out is still there too, because it was being used when I left for school this morning ...

Well, Swan Lane Wharf is definitely still there because that's where you and Dave took Cobbett out from for the BCN Challenge and the pump-out is still there too, because it was being used when I left for school this morning ...

I know - but we couldn't get a pump out there when we wanted to :)

Ah, it's a do-it-yourself one ...

I think it was 2009 when we had our unsuccessful sortie for a pump out and the hire base we expected was clearly a private mooring now so we didn't investigate.

Of course I know it better now ...

Hi,

We're currently moored on the Ashby & we want to stay around this area while we wait the arrival of a new Grandaughter. While we are here I've considered going down to Coventry Basin for a couple of days. Could anyone who has moored in the basin recently tell us of their experiences. We've asked people here on the Ashby & the verdict has been,don't stay overnight, come back to Sutton Stop & moor. Anyone got any other suggestions please.

Fred.

We stayed in the basin in April with no problems and we are going back the first week of November.

Hi again,

We are now moored at Hawkesbury with the intention of cruising down to the basin tomorrow morning.Wish us luck and we will report our experiences if we can get a mooring.

Fred.

Fred? Fred?? Are you OK Fred?

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes we're ok. I'm waiting till we leave the basin & get to Hawkesbury before I give an update. So far though,everything is fine. Can't access Smileys on my phone so :-)).

Fred.

Hi,

OK we're out of Coventry now. How was it? Well,all who said it would be fine were right,it was good. The canal into Coventry was as good as any urban canal can be in my opinion. Yes there's some rubbish but most of that could have been wind blown as the towpaths were largely litter free. Not a lot of graffiti & everyone spoke as we passed,fishermen & cyclists as well. The basin had plenty of moorings throughout the time we were there. It was clean,graffiti & litter free with CCTV & it was lit up like daytime through the night. You could probably read a book outside. We saw no children & there was only a steady stream of pedestrians during the day. It was as quiet as an urban mooring can be 'cos there's no pubs nearby and little passing traffic.

Coventry itself was well worth the visit,particularly the Motor Museum,the simulated Thrust SSC was awesome. We walked a bit out of town as well,we walked to the retail park where Maplins is,via the roads & not the towpath, & also to Currys/ B&Q about half a mile from the basin. The streets we're clean & tidy,not at all rundown. We spoke to people who seemed to be proud of Coventry & the canal & it's basin. The local authority & the local people have done a lot of work on the canal over the years & though some of it is now a little care worn it still deserves to be used by us who claim to care about our canals & want to see them looked after. Thanks to RayT of CWDF fame,who met us when we arrived at the basin & gave us the map of the town to help us find our way around. Thanks again to all who gave positive feedback,we will return to Coventry & highly recommend it.

Sorry to go on a bit,

Fred.

Hi,

OK we're out of Coventry now. How was it? Well,all who said it would be fine were right,it was good. The canal into Coventry was as good as any urban canal can be in my opinion. Yes there's some rubbish but most of that could have been wind blown as the towpaths were largely litter free. Not a lot of graffiti & everyone spoke as we passed,fishermen & cyclists as well. The basin had plenty of moorings throughout the time we were there. It was clean,graffiti & litter free with CCTV & it was lit up like daytime through the night. You could probably read a book outside. We saw no children & there was only a steady stream of pedestrians during the day. It was as quiet as an urban mooring can be 'cos there's no pubs nearby and little passing traffic.

Coventry itself was well worth the visit,particularly the Motor Museum,the simulated Thrust SSC was awesome. We walked a bit out of town as well,we walked to the retail park where Maplins is,via the roads & not the towpath, & also to Currys/ B&Q about half a mile from the basin. The streets we're clean & tidy,not at all rundown. We spoke to people who seemed to be proud of Coventry & the canal & it's basin. The local authority & the local people have done a lot of work on the canal over the years & though some of it is now a little care worn it still deserves to be used by us who claim to care about our canals & want to see them looked after. Thanks to RayT of CWDF fame,who met us when we arrived at the basin & gave us the map of the town to help us find our way around. Thanks again to all who gave positive feedback,we will return to Coventry & highly recommend it.

Sorry to go on a bit,

Fred.

Thanks Fred. That was my view as well. Is the pub adjacent to the basin still closed? (Lord Nelson???)

Hi jelunga,

Don't recall seeing a Lord Nelson,but the pub opposite the basin was called The Admiral Codrington ( got to look him up ). It's now been turned into apartments called The Canal View or something like. The only other pub near was The Stag, now also closed. That's the other side of the Ringroad though.

Fred.

Hi jelunga,

Don't recall seeing a Lord Nelson,but the pub opposite the basin was called The Admiral Codrington ( got to look him up ). It's now been turned into apartments called The Canal View or something like. The only other pub near was The Stag, now also closed. That's the other side of the Ringroad though.

Fred.

Well I knew it was some Admiral or other!

We took a trip down to the basin earlier this year and I must say my first impressions weren't great.

Lots and lots of signs saying "No Mooring", "No Splashing the Towpath". Nowhere to physically moor up to apart from in the bit closed off by a swing-bridge which to all intents and purposes didn't need to be there.

The fact it was cold, blowing a gale, and I kept getting pinned to the flat bit between the 2 arms of the basin probably didn't help my first impressions which was a shame as I'd really enjoyed the canal from Hawkesbury Junction down into the city :)

We will be back to give it another go though :)

Hi,

Sorry to go on a bit,

Fred.

Hey Fred thanks for coming back to us - too often questions are asked and then we never find out the end result.

Glad you enjoyed it and feeling a visit to my brother coming on - we spent a couple of hours in the transport museum and only felt we'd done a fraction of it!

There was also the feeling of trepidation - we've been there a few times and had no problems, but it'd be horrible if you went there on the back of that assurance and were unlucky enough to encounter a problem. But we all know problems can occur in the most picturesque of villages if the circumstances prevail.

Waffling now :) Glad you enjoyed Coventry Basin.