Dog poo in the canal

MHS

Featured Posts

Stop putting words in my mouth.............if there are bins we pick it up and put in it the bin, even if its overflowing. My grumble is that if councils want us to pick it up and bin they should ensure they are regularly emptied. After all, it must be awful for the local residents to have to put up with that.

We flick if we are in the middle of nowhere. And unless you actually are standing behind us when we do this I don't think you are qualified to comment on our methods. As for putting it in the canal we NEVER do this.

Savvi???

There we go again, making dealing with your dog's waste somebody else's problem.

If the council want you to pick it up they should provide bins. No, you should pick it up and that applies whether a bin is provided or not.

I am indeed not qualified to comment on YOUR methods, but I can comment on the fact that most flickers leave the crap where it can cause a problem.

I look forward to the new bye-laws coming into force.

There we go again, making dealing with your dog's waste somebody else's problem.

If the council want you to pick it up they should provide bins. No, you should pick it up and that applies whether a bin is provided or not.

I am indeed not qualified to comment on YOUR methods, but I can comment on the fact that most flickers leave the crap where it can cause a problem.

I look forward to the new bye-laws coming into force.

I think you will find that these by laws are already in place in most areas.. More importantly perhaps you should ask how a local authority disposes of it because it certainly should not go into landfill. The LA I worked for endorsed the stick and flick method and the Enforcement Officers went out of their way to advice people about it. And they also made sure if they provided bins they were emptied on a regular basis especially in the summer months as were any litter bins. They did not advocate putting dog poo or any animal faeces into the domestic waste and would impose a fine on anyone who did. They were also working on a way of people disposing of disposable nappies as well. Maybe a bit too forward thing for you?

What i object to is your arrogance at "assuming" we are not doing it properly. I'm not asking you to like or condone our methods its what we do - get over it!

Edited by tillergirl

I think you will find that these by laws are already in place in most areas..

I refer to the proposed new bye-laws that BW had put out for consultation.

Removal of animal faeces

63. {1} If an animal defecates at any time on a towpath or any

other land forming part of a waterway, any person who is

in charge of the animal at the time shall remove the faeces

from the towpath or land forthwith.

{2} Nothing in this Byelaw applies to:

{a} a person registered as a blind person in a register

compiled under section 29 of the National

Assistance Act 1948.

{b} a horse that defecates on a bridleway.

{3} For the purposes of this Byelaw:-

{a} the keeper of the animal shall be deemed to be in

charge of it unless the animal had been placed in

or taken into the charge of some other person at

the time when an offence under these Byelaws

had been committed, in which case that other

person shall be responsible for the offence;

{b} in the case of canine faeces, placing the faeces in

a receptacle on the towpath or land which is

provided for the purpose, or for the disposal of

waste, shall be a sufficient removal; and

{c} being unaware of the defecation (whether by

reason of not being in the vicinity or otherwise), or

not having a device for or other suitable means of

removing the faeces, shall not be a reasonable

excuse for failing to remove the faeces.

{4} A person who removes animal faeces from a towpath or

land by depositing them in the waters of a waterway shall

be deemed to have failed to remove them as required by

paragraph {1}; and this paragraph is without prejudice to

the liability of any such person under any other enactment.

Which will, if brought into force make flicking dog crap into the canal or under a hedge a criminal offence.

I refer to the proposed new bye-laws that BW had put out for consultation.

Which will, if brought into force make flicking dog crap into the canal or under a hedge a criminal offence.

Well that's easily attended to seeing as one would have a spade to hand..................bury it......................I

If all you can do is argue the toss about s**t then you really must get out more fella! :lol:

Edited by tillergirl

Well that's easily attended to seeing as one would have a spade to hand..................bury it......................I

If all you can do is argue the toss about s**t then you really must get out more fella! laugh.png

Bury a spade? How would that help? :)

Why can't poo go in landfill, surely it will rot down with everything else, it cannot be any worse than other organic matter which is disposed of in bins. In fact it is probably faster in breaking down than most things that end up in holes in the ground. When I lived in Lincolnshire it was very common to see fields sporting a liberal coating of toilet tissue where septic tankers had spread the stuff about, locally this was known as "Dilly Spreading" so many homes not on mains drainage the Yellow Pages have a huge section just for septic tank emptying.

Phil

Few if any parasites in that lot. Cattle are regularly treated for husk and worms. None which cause blindness and are as difficult to deal with as toxocaria.

You have your opinion I have mine and I suspect that is how it will stay. I still and will always think that anybody who puts dog faeces deliberately into a canal must be too lazy to either pick it up or flick it the other way where it will cause less problem. Obviously I prefer them to pick it up.

ok, i am not disagreeing with you about the health issues at all and i share a fairly universal dislike of inconsiderate owners leaving it on the tow path consider when flicking in a hedge bottom or long grass the poor sods who have to come along with a strimmer or hedge cutter, i have done a fair amount of both and the familiar summer grass cutting season smell of grass slurry and shit stays with me still.

yes i did wear the safety gear but without wrapping yourself in cling film, its imposable to avoid being smeared with the stuff.

one occasion still makes me shudder, my fault this time but i was rushing and didn't put the visor all the way down opened my mouth at the wrong time, i speat a fair amount of time running around trying not to close my mouth and spit, a difficult thing to do, i eventually found a sink in a local bus station and spent a very long time rinsing my mouth.

just my experience and something i think should be considered.

I really don't know why dog owners just don't pick the dog Sh1te take it home and flush down the loo, seems pretty simple to me.

As to land fill, it will just rot down with all the other hundreds of millions of tons of all the other crap we throw away, in fact it would possibly speed up the process as it's already loaded with bacteria and emzymes.

Which ever it's far better there than on the towpath, in a hedgerow, or in the canal or river. If you wouldn't like it on your own doorstep then why should you subject others to suffer it on theirs.

• Greenie 1

What i object to is your arrogance at "assuming" we are not doing it properly. I'm not asking you to like or condone our methods its what we do - get over it!

Your disinterest in whether I condone your methods is noted.

You describe what you do on a public forum and I will feel free to tender an opinion.

It's what I do - get over it!

One of the worst inventions for footpath hygiene is the damned expanding lead.

Some owners don't seem to be able to see as far as the lead stretches.

I used to like dogs when they were treated as dogs, and not like spoiled children sad.png

Unless dog poo is put into biodegradable bag it will not rot down in landfill. Plastic bags do not rot...........therefore its not a good idea to put it in with the domestic waste.

And Dave - get your facts right about the consultation...................CRT liaise with local government about that issue and LA enforcement teams dish out the penalty notices.

As the man says Dave fill your boots....http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/dog-walking-on-our-waterways-keeping-the-towpaths-clean and then get a life!!!

One of the worst inventions for footpath hygiene is the damned expanding lead.

Some owners don't seem to be able to see as far as the lead stretches.

I used to like dogs when they were treated as dogs, and not like spoiled children sad.png

I met a guy on a working boat recently, whose dog had been attacked numerous times by other dogs on those extending leads. I felt sorry for the poor dog which was a quiet, well trained Lurcher (one of my favourite dogs.) We had a long conversation about these leads, and the poor control of dogs in general.

Dunno but thats why I always carry two spades...

Reminds me of when me old dad used to say how I went into the garden and buried all his woodworking tools in the soil when he was at work. Whenever he needed to do a task at home he had to go into the garden and dig the tools up again, de-rust and sharpen them and only then was he able to get on with the job in hand. I was 23 at the time.

Unless dog poo is put into biodegradable bag it will not rot down in landfill. Plastic bags do not rot...........therefore its not a good idea to put it in with the domestic waste.

That's not really true. If you've ever been to a landfill site you'll see the rubbish it trampled on my massive earth movers with heavy steel lumpy wheels. The rubbish is driven over dozens and dozens of times constantly being compacted and crushed by machines weighing well over 50 tons + It would be almost miraculous anything survived sealed in a bag. If it did happen to survive it's likely the gasses from decomposition would inflate and burst it over a short period of time.

Edited by Julynian

That's not really true. If you've ever been to a landfill site you'll see the rubbish it trampled on my massive earth movers with heavy steel lumpy wheels. The rubbish is driven over dozens and dozens of times constantly being compacted and crushed by machines weighing well over 50 tons + It would be almost miraculous anything survived sealed in a bag. If it did happen to survive it's likely the gasses from decomposition would inflate and burst it over a short period of time.

That is certainly true of the ones near to where I live. I did see one in Liverpool where this didn't appear to be the case, though it was a number of years ago.

but the plastic itself does not decompose does it?

ok, i am not disagreeing with you about the health issues at all and i share a fairly universal dislike of inconsiderate owners leaving it on the tow path consider when flicking in a hedge bottom or long grass the poor sods who have to come along with a strimmer or hedge cutter, i have done a fair amount of both and the familiar summer grass cutting season smell of grass slurry and shit stays with me still.

yes i did wear the safety gear but without wrapping yourself in cling film, its imposable to avoid being smeared with the stuff.

one occasion still makes me shudder, my fault this time but i was rushing and didn't put the visor all the way down opened my mouth at the wrong time, i speat a fair amount of time running around trying not to close my mouth and spit, a difficult thing to do, i eventually found a sink in a local bus station and spent a very long time rinsing my mouth.

just my experience and something i think should be considered.

sick.gif a good reason not to flick it into the long grass

Well it does eventually like shopping bags will. Most bags produced today have to comply with some EU biodegradable limit anyway I believe.

The bags really aren't the issue though, the dog sh1te is.

On the point of bags though we went to Asda the other week bags were useless and falling apart. We had to use 3 bags for booze and double and even triple the other bags. We ended up using 13 where the previously slightly thicker bags we would have used just 5

We have also sussed that free bags and even Lidl bags at 3p each are cheaper that buying bin liners. So we don't buy bin liners anymore LOL But use lots of supermarket bags. Have you seen the price of bin liners LOL

That is true, and I believe that as a society we need to get away from burying plastic (and other such waste,) but it is not just dog waste that creates that problem. We can use bags that degrade quite quickly, which seems a better alternative if they are going to be burst anyway.

Well it does eventually like shopping bags will. Most bags produced today have to comply with some EU biodegradable limit anyway I believe.

The bags really aren't the issue though, the dog sh1te is.

On the point of bags though we went to Asda the other week bags were useless and falling apart. We had to use 3 bags for booze and double and even triple the other bags. We ended up using 13 where the previously slightly thicker bags we would have used just 5

We have also sussed that free bags and even Lidl bags at 3p each are cheaper that buying bin liners. So we don't buy bin liners anymore LOL But use lots of supermarket bags. Have you seen the price of bin liners LOL

Done that for years! It was once promoted as being "green" as the bags were given two lives instead of just one, hence avoiding buying extra bags for bins.

That is true, and I believe that as a society we need to get away from burying plastic (and other such waste,) but it is not just dog waste that creates that problem. We can use bags that degrade quite quickly, which seems a better alternative if they are going to be burst anyway.

Done that for years! It was once promoted as being "green" as the bags were given two lives instead of just one, hence avoiding buying extra bags for bins.

Well it is in a way, I remember in bricks & mortar throwing loads of them away weekly. On the boat it's a small bins though perfect size for shopping bags. We do use the 3p Lidl bags 2 or 3 times before using for the bin though.

Surely shopping bags would make good fuel, so surely separating them and burning them makes more sense than landfill, they are an oil based product I believe. Maybe I'm missing something LOL AHHHH chemicals possibly?