If you thought an Eco fan was expensive....

FadeToScarlet

Featured Posts

I have a Stilring

(I might well try that with a 12v pc fan just for the sake of trying it!)

I've done a fair bit of experimenting with 5" 12v PC case fans and their performance is pitiful at shifting large volumes of air around for puropses like this, just so you know. I suggest you start off with the biggest most powerful 12v fan you can find!

MtB

P.S. I have a Stirling cycle stove fan and it generates almost as much passing interest as the Kelvin engine!

I have this one

http://www.stirlingengine.co.uk/d.asp?product=KS90_SOL_ASS

KS90-SOL-ONHAND.jpg

I still wonder at mine. Its a thing of beauty to me.

Yep I have the same model too.

Mine has worn out a bearing. It sat on my hifi amplifier running 27/7 for about six months then ground to a stop with both crankshaft main bearings shot.

I must call into their workshops in Maidenhead and get some new ones. As you say, 'tis a thing of beauty and deserves to be kept running.

MtB

Ball races actually, rather than main bearings....

One thing about ecofan it'll only make the rest of the boat warmer if there's a goodly surplus of heat around the stove already. It's not a 'free energy' device :)

With the PC fans the bigger the blade diameter the longer the 'throw', though putting 4 smaller ones in a grid should give a lot more throw. The safety aspect of having something meltable/flammable near the stove needs careful consideration! :o

With any sort of fan I expect they work best where the corridor is inline with the stove and the fan is towards it...

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Yep I have the same model too.

Mine has worn out a bearing. It sat on my hifi amplifier running 27/7 for about six months then ground to a stop with both crankshaft main bearings shot.

I must call into their workshops in Maidenhead and get some new ones. As you say, 'tis a thing of beauty and deserves to be kept running.

MtB

Ball races actually, rather than main bearings....

You really must stop agreeing with me Mike.

• 1 month later...

I have a £2:59 usb fan from Amazon I use my Kindle 230v charger plug when in marina but use a 12v car socket usb adaptor when out .

The fan draws negligible amps and does a terrific job .

I am looking at using one in kitchen roof vent as an extractor boost when cooking will be a bit more costly as I will need a 12v car socket and 12v usb adaptor permanently wired in .

I have a £2:59 usb fan from Amazon I use my Kindle 230v charger plug when in marina but use a 12v car socket usb adaptor when out .

The fan draws negligible amps and does a terrific job .

I am looking at using one in kitchen roof vent as an extractor boost when cooking will be a bit more costly as I will need a 12v car socket and 12v usb adaptor permanently wired in .

Don't demonstrate such a closed mind Luc, it isn't pretty. I suspect you've never lived with an Ecofan through a winter. Have you?

Although they don't really shift much air they work as a most excellent indicator of the state of the stove. The fan slows slightly as the stove begins to cool and need stoking, more fuel etc and draws your attention long before you would otherwise notice. It makes you feel a lot more in tune with and in better control of your stove. You always know the condition of your stove by listening, and without having to actively go to it and look.

Many Ecofan users mention this as the best reason for having one.

MtB

The only reason for me... and thats only because it came with the boat!

Well my £2:59 fan works brilliantly ! I now get no cold layer of air at floor level. Why my earlier comment came up twice I do not understand and advice would have been welcomed to stop it occurring again ?