Siren position

DeanS

Featured Posts

gday:)

Can I install a new siren at the stern rather than at the bow?

It would mean no need to run an extra 12metres of cable.

It would mean less risk of voltage drop.

It would be simpler to install.

I know having a siren at the bow is commonplace, but I have seen some that arent.

Surely a siren would be almost as loud at the stern as the bow......a slight decrease, but still audible?

Edited by DeanS

I guess it depends how loud it is and how long your boat is ....

Personally I would always fit at the front as it would need to be very loud at the stern ( uncomfortable for you) for the oncoming boat's helmsman to hear it over his engine, and every little helps..

Cable isn't that expensive...

Nick

gday:)

Can I install a new siren at the stern rather than at the bow?

It would mean no need to run an extra 12metres of cable.

It would mean less risk of voltage drop.

It would be simpler to install.

I know having a siren at the bow is commonplace, but I have seen some that arent.

Surely a siren would be almost as loud at the stern as the bow......a slight decrease, but still audible?

Some older ex-working boats have hand operated 'klaxon's mounted atop the rear cabin so I see no reason why not...

Damned Bizzard, bear me to it!

I was going to say that if a siren came on to my boat she could position herself where she pleased. Until Mrs. Athy spotted her, at any rate.

Dean, I think what you refer to as the "siren" is generally known as the "horn"....though that could lead to merry quips, too.

But to be serious, if I may, I have seen numerous boats with their horn towards the stern. It seems especially prevalent amongst those who have the two-tone air-horn jobs. The horn on ours is beside the slide, and it's not a very loud one. However, as I am always on the boat when it sounds, I couldn't tell you if the sound travels far or not.

Damned Bizzard, bear me to it!

I was going to say that if a siren came on to my boat she could position herself where she pleased. Until Mrs. Athy spotted her, at any rate.

Dean, I think what you refer to as the "siren" is generally known as the "horn"....though that could lead to merry quips, too.

But to be serious, if I may, I have seen numerous boats with their horn towards the stern. It seems especially prevalent amongst those who have the two-tone air-horn jobs. The horn on ours is beside the slide, and it's not a very loud one. However, as I am always on the boat when it sounds, I couldn't tell you if the sound travels far or not.

Sorry about that. Ok a horny siren then, Oh norty me. On second thoughts I think Hooter sounds nicer.

I wouldn't say no to a pair of hooters on my boat :-) boat.gif

Nick

Is nothing safe from CWF's innuendic humour?

Reminds me of a rather stuffy old professor of language being interviewed on BBC Radio a while ago, exclaiming in dismay "Some words nowadays are virtually unusable in the plural".

• Greenie 1

I think I'd position the siren, especially if topless, draped across the bows like a figurehead.

That would certainly alert an oncoming boat and stop it in its tracks...as long as a man was at the helm. captain.gif

Edited by Gingerbeer

Errr ... my point exactly - a horn is to make people aware when necessary, not a bit of "bling"...

That means as loud as reasonable and as close to where it's needed as possible ( i.e. the front)

Some people can't even hear those on the towpath next to them over the noise of their engine - I couldn't ( semi-trad, Beta 43 with hospital silencer) until I soundproofed the engine compartment, and

it's still difficult to hear those 60 feet in front of me...

Nick

Some older ex-working boats have hand operated 'klaxon's mounted atop the rear cabin so I see no reason why not...

Met one at a blind corner once. I hooted, didn't hear anything so carried on. Met the guy in an awkward place. He said he replied to my toot, but then hit his horn again and it became clear why I didn't hear it, it was pathetic.

Hi,no cable here wink.png

Just restored this eBay find ,Ive used a 'cut down' bicycle handle bar stem to clamp onto our roof hand rail.

The metal bracket is a cut down 'immersion heater element' spanner .

Sounds very loud !!!!!!!!!!!

Mark.

edit to add its a VERY BIG glass of wine.

1klaxon.JPG

Edited by wirren