what engine

Featured Posts

hi all, i,m having a shell built and am looking for an engine to marinise, working on a buget,

does the forum have any advise on what to look for. i,ve herd that some motors cost a fortune to marinise because of the kit you have to buy. i,m thinking of looking out for a BMC 1800/1500, its going in a 57 ft trad, many thanks

hi all, i,m having a shell built and am looking for an engine to marinise, working on a buget,

does the forum have any advise on what to look for. i,ve herd that some motors cost a fortune to marinise because of the kit you have to buy. i,m thinking of looking out for a BMC 1800/1500, its going in a 57 ft trad, many thanks

Not sure what marinise means, but can't you get one that is already set up for that?

I might be wrong but a new build will need to meet RCD and isn't part of that emissions compliance? I seem to remember having to supply details of the compliancy cert. on the RCD paperwork. I think the only exception is if a vintage engine is used.

You do need an RCD if you do not put the boat on the market in the EU within 5 years of "first use". That phrase is open to interpretation and I know of no case law that has clarified it.

However I have been getting a few questions indication that surveyors are checking the RCD and raising the lack of one as an issue with the purchaser. As buying a boat without an RCD if it was supposed to have one may be an illegal act (the selling certainly is) unless you are absolutely sure that you will not Eb selling for many years I would make sure you build to and obtain RCD certification. Otherwise you may get derisory offers even if the sale is legal on the grounds of no RCD.

For what it costs to build and certify to RCD why would you not. Mince cost about £275.00 through Small Craft Consultancy. Small change in the cost of building a boat, and leaves you open to sell should your plans change. 5 years is a long time, then there is the value of the boat if it has no RCD history now or in 10 years time.

OP says working on a budget, we all work on a budget which of course gets ever stretched, or do you mean trying to do it on the cheap. 2 totally different things.

Hi

If you have your vessel built and do not have RCD certification, you will need a BSS Examination Certificate in order to obtain a license and will have to complete an RCD Annex A form stipulating that you will not sell the vessel for a minimum of 5 years from 1st use. A copy of this form will need to be given to the BSS examiner for his records.

As for engines, if you are not opting for traditional vintage diesels then BMC are simple and reliable, whilst 'Kubota' derived Japanese engines are easy to maintain, compact for the power output ratio and smooth.

Don't forget to consider your choice of Gearbox and match the Prop size and type to the engine/gearbox set up.

Hope this helps

Steve Williams

BSS Examiner PIN614

www.iwabss-limited.co.uk

For what it costs to build and certify to RCD why would you not. Mince cost about £275.00 through Small Craft Consultancy. Small change in the cost of building a boat, and leaves you open to sell should your plans change. 5 years is a long time, then there is the value of the boat if it has no RCD history now or in 10 years time.

OP says working on a budget, we all work on a budget which of course gets ever stretched, or do you mean trying to do it on the cheap. 2 totally different things.

How times change! When I was a kid nearly everybody on the cut built boats on the cheap, 'cause it was all they could do. Converted lifeboats with Ford sidevalve car engines were common on the L&L canal. Petrol engines! I often wonder how we survived without the BSS! We are a far more effluent society today. :)

Edited by Guest