Helmsman's Training Course

Proud Salopian

Featured Posts

Hi there - I'm not a total newbie to the canals and boating on them, but am now considering taking a helmsman's training course so I can learn all the "nuts and bolts" of boating on the canals (and rivers - something I haven't done... other than in a canoe..!)

This course (at Stourport on Severn) is run fairly near to where I live and I was wondering what people's thoughts are/experience of them?

http://www.cruisingschool.co.uk/home.htm

Are there any other similar courses available in the Shropshire/Worcestershire area?

I posted a similar question several weeks ago. scroll down the "new to boating" forum and the post is "Helmsman and I'm not talking mayonnaise" (I'm sure that there is some fancy way I can link it to this message but I don't know how!!!) People commented about their thoughts on helmsman courses here. For what it's worth, I'm definitely planning to do one.

Ah, thanks Ally!

Do you, or anyone else, know how many days training it takes to pass the course? Is it just the one day? It's not made clear on the Stourport course's website.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure i've seen somewhere that it is just a one day course usually. Two if you wish to the the Rivers module aswell.

Ah, thanks Ally!

Do you, or anyone else, know how many days training it takes to pass the course? Is it just the one day? It's not made clear on the Stourport course's website.

We did it over two days, but a couple with us did theirs in one day. We came away with an extra day to put things into practice under the guidance of an expert.

Invaluable, whether you do it in one day, or two.

Unless you are really really bad you are going to pass so its up to you to choose a one or two (or even three) day course. Two is probably about right, one would be a big rush but probably ok if its just yourself.

If you have a boat then some instructors will come to you and do the course on your boat.

Many years ago we did a course with TR boat handling which was good and a lot of fun.

I believe that TR no longer advertise in the boating press but get work by word of mouth, but I expect Google will find him.

I observed a couple getting trained last year (not by TR) and it was bad, lots of orders and shouting and no fun at all, so stick with people who are recommended..

..........Dave

I did a helmsmans course with the above and found it invaluable. I had never been on a narrowboat and found it very worthwhile. I chose to do it in the one day as advised and really enjoyed going out on the river Severn. 2 weeks later I was off on my own boat single handing 53 miles and 27 locks, thankfully uneventful and loved the experiance.

Jamescaptain.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Unless you are really really bad you are going to pass so its up to you to choose a one or two (or even three) day course. Two is probably about right, one would be a big rush but probably ok if its just yourself.

If you have a boat then some instructors will come to you and do the course on your boat.

Many years ago we did a course with TR boat handling which was good and a lot of fun.

I believe that TR no longer advertise in the boating press but get work by word of mouth, but I expect Google will find him.

I observed a couple getting trained last year (not by TR) and it was bad, lots of orders and shouting and no fun at all, so stick with people who are recommended..

..........Dave

I found Terry's website just yesterday by Googling it; I was responding to a similar query on another forum. We've always heard good stuff about Terry and he's a top guy to deal with.

We've been less impressed by what we've seen and heard of some other trainers; RYA don't appear to do much QC at all. Defo a case of getting personal recommendations from here or by word of mouth.

I did my course on through Trent Boating - it was fantastic. I gained really experience as it was on our own boat. Great to be challenged and taken onto waters that one might usually avoid, but with an experienced naval officer who forces you to deal with the wind etc, its everything you need. I suggest you book on a day when the weather won't be perfect, that way you will get the most out of your course. Good luck it's a great feeling once you've completed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any advice on Castaway Canal Training? Ive searched this site and the interweb.... help.gif

http://www.castawaycanalboats.com/2%20day%20inland%20waterways%20course.html

Ta Muchley in Advance..

s.com/2%20day%20inland%20waterways%20course.html

Cheers!Newbie here.. Does anyone have any advice on Castaway Canal Training (K&A)? Have searced everywhere... help.gif

http://www.castawaycanalboat

Does anyone have any advice on Castaway Canal Training? Ive searched this site and the interweb.... help.gif

http://www.castawaycanalboats.com/2%20day%20inland%20waterways%20course.html

Ta Muchley in Advance..

s.com/2%20day%20inland%20waterways%20course.html

Cheers!Newbie here.. Does anyone have any advice on Castaway Canal Training (K&A)? Have searced everywhere... help.gif

http://www.castawaycanalboat

Edited by lampini

I did this course when I first bought a boat with two friends who taught me everything I know! It was up in Rugby and we had such a laugh.

The day started with Mac and I taking the Lister engine apart as we got bored waiting for Trevor to come and to teach us, then hastily trying to put it back together again before anyone came in.

In fact we caused so much chaos I am surprised any of us passed, and it seems he still remembers us......

I'd been boating for several years before I did my IWA Helmsman's Course as a requirement for my position doing narrowboat handovers a couple of years ago.

I'd highly recommend it, providing you get a good trainer and not somebody who simply rubber stamps it.

Our instructor didn't take anything for granted, and made us do everything to prove that we were competent, from clearing the weedhatch to reversing 300 yards and then having to bring the boat in to moor up between moored boats! I well remember the horrified look on the face of a very shiny narrowboat owner as I approached, in reverse, on a day boat...

The main thing I learned from it was how to steer properly in reverse! It was worth it just for that!

Janet

Hi there - I'm not a total newbie to the canals and boating on them, but am now considering taking a helmsman's training course so I can learn all the "nuts and bolts" of boating on the canals (and rivers - something I haven't done... other than in a canoe..!)

This course (at Stourport on Severn) is run fairly near to where I live and I was wondering what people's thoughts are/experience of them?

http://www.cruisingschool.co.uk/home.htm

Are there any other similar courses available in the Shropshire/Worcestershire area?

This course is run by Rod Fox and comes highly reccomended. I did a 1 day helmsman course with him about 8 years ago and found it excellent. The course uses both the Severn & the Staffs. & Worc. canal. We went up to Kidderminster and then on the Severn. The river exercises, especially the man overboard procedure in a running river was most enlightening. My wife did a 1 day course with TR ( Terry Robertson) & was also 1st class.

http://www.trboathandling.com/