new & useless...any advise appreciated !

skiddy

Featured Posts

hi all,

ive always fancied a narrow boat...and took the plunge last month...sold my flat and bought a 45ft live aboard...the only problem I have is I know bugger all about boats ! the plan is I will learn as I go along.

I took her out for 1st time last week and loved it (had to take a boat neighbour with me as I cant moor her yet) im slowly learning things but could do with some advice on a couple of things.

1st thing...moorings ! ive always lived and worked near Manchester and would like to stay near the area...does anybody know of a friendly marina or place where I can permanently moor ? ive found a place in northwich called uplands marina (next to anderton boat lift) does anybody know if its ok there ?

2nd thing...moving my boat there !!! my boat is moored in burnley at the moment...but unfortunately I don't have the experience (or courage) to move her yet..never mind attempting countless amounts of locks on my own...does anyone know of someone who could help me with this ?

any advice would be very much appreciated...cheers.

For a change, Naughty Cal is right.

Just start moving your boat, even if just a hundred yards at a time. Your confidence will grow rapidly. Ask peeps you meet on the towpath too. Many are boaters even those walking...

MtB

Don't let the prospect of making a fool of yourself stop you getting out there and learning. The quickest way to learn is by making mistakes, don't let that inhibit you. Just be extra careful in locks, fore-knowledge in that area can avoid a lot of angst, the rest of it just involves feeling a fool when you cock things up!

I should be moving aboard my boat at the end of August and have so far read half a dozen books on the subject and learned a great deal from the people here too...it helps to have as much advice as possible but in the end there can be no better teacher than experience so my advice is to start engine and prepare to cast off.

hi all,

ive always fancied a narrow boat...and took the plunge last month...sold my flat and bought a 45ft live aboard...the only problem I have is I know bugger all about boats ! the plan is I will learn as I go along.

I took her out for 1st time last week and loved it (had to take a boat neighbour with me as I cant moor her yet) im slowly learning things but could do with some advice on a couple of things.

1st thing...moorings ! ive always lived and worked near Manchester and would like to stay near the area...does anybody know of a friendly marina or place where I can permanently moor ? ive found a place in northwich called uplands marina (next to anderton boat lift) does anybody know if its ok there ?

2nd thing...moving my boat there !!! my boat is moored in burnley at the moment...but unfortunately I don't have the experience (or courage) to move her yet..never mind attempting countless amounts of locks on my own...does anyone know of someone who could help me with this ?

any advice would be very much appreciated...cheers.

What they said - we are moving aboard ours on Friday and plan to do half the Cheeshire Ring to get her from where she is moored now to Macclesfield - Kevin at Macclesfield Marina (Google Freedom Boats) has residential moorings coming up and is about a 5 min walk to the Mainline train Station. If you e-mail him, he can give you prices - apparently there might also be moorings on the Bridgewater - Dean may know if there are any in the centre of Manchester at new islington

We live just south of Manchester city centre. Our boat is moored near Nantwich. An hour's drive door to cratch. Several marinas in that area: Swanley Bridge, Venetian, Aqueduct, Nantwich,

Around Northwich there's also Anderton (directly opposite Uplands) and Orchard.

As to moving...see above...and good luck and welcome to the Cut!

There are also a number of boaters who offer training. When we bought our boat we hadn't even been on a narrowboat, so we found someone who offered such training. Two days, one night, on his boat with him talking us through everything, and getting us to do most of the work. A really valuable experience.

Edited by Québec

Hi,

I did similar last year, sold my house and bought a boat. Coming up to 1year living aboard now, the year has flown by. Should have done it years ago.

Orchard Marina in Northwich is pretty nice. Smaller than upland's and a great bunch of people. Also, close to the train station with direct trains to Manchester and Chester.

/jh

Edited by Good Morning Bob

thanks everyone for all the tips & advice...especially about making a fool of myself...im sure I won't have a problem with doing that biggrin.png

gonna check out some of the marinas you've mentioned...orchard looks worth a look.

quebec...I've done exactly the same as you...never been on a narrow boat until I bought mine ! (we must be mad smile.png) who did the training course for you ?

"good morning bob" if you can do it, so will I...cheers pal

"starUKKiwi" my friends brother works on the lock at Pomona (Salford) and invited me down last weekend to get a little experience...I had a great time...he also mentioned freedom boats in macc...I'll send kevin an email...cheers.

and yes lonewolf...she does have a centre line...nearly fell in the canal last week while jumping of the boat and holding on to the centre line at the same time...lesson I learnt that day...have plenty of slack in your rope !!!

once again...thanks to everyone for the advice

We are hoping to move to Nantwich eventually; but wanted to try Macclesfield out first as I work in Stockport and it's on a mainline to London when I have to go down there for meetings.

Nantwich is close to Crewe - also on the West Coast mainline. Easy to get to both Stockport (c. 25 min) and London.

Might I suggest that if you are a complete newbie and have no clue, then spend some money and find a good place to take a two or three day class on operating your boat. You should learn how to moor, handle, troubleshoot, operate locks, and lots of other important things. This way you will feel more confident in operating your boat ALONE. We took out a boat for the first time on Monday and neither of us were even close to handling it on our own. Just getting one end in close enough to jump off and tie up seemed like a daunting task. I personally don't think you can learn as you go if you do it alone. You need that extra person there to help...just in case you do fall in and your boat doesn't wait for you to catch up. unsure.pngohmy.png

hi all...soz for the delay in posting back...been out on the boat :) I've decided to do what most people have advised...take her out as much as possible... even if it is just for a 5 minute cruise down the canal...the more experience I get the better...even if that does include falling in the canal and watching my boat float away without me !!

I do agree with gingerbeer though...the journey to northwich might be a little bit too much for a newbie (82 miles & 39 locks) but i have found someone who can move the boat for me....and hopefully give me a few tips along the way...eg how not to crash or sink :)

cheers everyone

I mostly agree with the "just do it" advice with one proviso:

There are simple mistakes that can be made whilst locking that can and have resulted in sinkings. Don't let this put you off - forewarned is forearmed.

Its best to be shown what to do / not do, but:

1) When going down, avoid allowing the stern of the boat to rest on the Cill - the cill is usually marked on the ground by the uphill gate.

2) Avoid protrusions like fenders from getting stuck on the gates.

3) Do not tie any ropes off whilst locking.

Google canal lock sinkings.

Graham

cheers for the advice graham....just googled "canal lock sinkings"...scary !!!

but as you said, this will not put me off...forewarned is forearmed !

when the boat is moved for me im hoping to be onboard when we do the wigan stretch...I believe they are 21 locks to manoeuvre so should get invaluable experience...good & bad !