Which way at Fradley Junction?

GinJer

Featured Posts

We are hoping to venture beyond Fradley junction next week, which way should we go first.........along the Coventery canal to Whittington or continue along the Trent & Mersey to Handsacre?

We are hoping to venture beyond Fradley junction next week, which way should we go first.........along the Coventery canal to Whittington or continue along the Trent & Mersey to Handsacre?

I am currently heading for Shardlow and tied up (the boat, not me) at Branston. It is absolutely beautiful. The locks from Fradley are fine, and the canal is easy going. The river bit is really nice too. We haven't been up the Coventry yet, but will be having a dawdle up there next week, though locals tell me that is nice too.

We've recently been down the Coventry and it was lovely. Fradley was bustling, but there were plenty of moorings. Make your next stop Alweras, it's a very pretty village with some lovely scenery and although we didn't go there we were told by just about every passing local to visit Coates the butchers, I guess from local enthusiasm it's probably worth a trip!

We've recently been down the Coventry and it was lovely. Fradley was bustling, but there were plenty of moorings. Make your next stop Alweras, it's a very pretty village with some lovely scenery and although we didn't go there we were told by just about every passing local to visit Coates the butchers, I guess from local enthusiasm it's probably worth a trip!

Thanks for Alweras tip; will call on return journey :)

That's because they kill thier own meat on a monday it can be a little more expensive than other butchers but well worth it for the taste and freshness you can trust.

That's because they kill thier own meat on a monday it can be a little more expensive than other butchers but well worth it for the taste and freshness you can trust.

Which Monday, fresh meet is no way the best, it needs hanging. for beef than can be 3 weeks

Which Monday, fresh meet is no way the best, it needs hanging. for beef than can be 3 weeks

No worries, it's always well hung from Coates. With one, appropriate exception. I went in there early one Monday and asked for some pig's liver. The guy looked in the chiller but didn't find any.

"Hang on a moment" he says.

He went out the back and came back with a whole pig's liver in his arms. I didn't realise they were so big!

"How much do you want?"

"Erm, just a pound please."

It was still warm, we had it that night and it was the best liver we've ever eaten.