Stenson Lock Coffee Shop Could Close.

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

BBC website site has a story that the Coffee shop at Stenson lock could close because they have been refused retrospective planning permission for its external canopy.

Can't link to the story as on phone.

BBC website site has a story that the Coffee shop at Stenson lock could close because they have been refused retrospective planning permission for its external canopy.

Can't link to the story as on phone.

That would be a big loss - always teeming with gongoozlers and an asset to the locality IMHO.

BBC news linky

Thanks DH.

When you look at the planning application that is linked to on the BBC news web site -

It says -

Delegated Decision Yes - Officer

Decision Date of Committee Not applicable, will be decided by Planning Officer

So one individual (not even a full planning committee) has taken the decision.

Personally I think that is outrageous though probably I guess quite common...

Edited by The Dog House

It sounds as if they do not plan to appeal. I wish they would because I suspect there could be a lot of support generated by the canal community if they had been aware of the proposal

Agreed and many others I suspect too, on a weekend in particular it was always very very busy - OK there is the pub (bubble Inn) behind it but you can't see the boats or the lock from there, it provided a nice setting.

(And one of those spots where you prayed you won't make any cock ups as you went through the lock and provide un-planned entertainment for the audience).

The refusal notice however (also linked to on the BBC)
Does seem to indicate that suggested amendments had been suggested but refused to be en-acted by the owner.
Edited by The Dog House

Reading the notes with the application the issue is not the canopy but the windows fitted on the end " blocking the view of the cottage".

Look on here -

http://jhalfie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/stenson-lock-cottage.html

I read it's more to do with the arched tops and width of the frame on the end. The owner probably felt as if they were being a bit picky (and I think I would agree) and didn't want to alter it (plus it would cost), he probably dug his heels in and has paid the price.

A better view of it on here -

http://www.narrowboat-waiouru.co.uk/2013/07/burton-on-trent.html

Edited by The Dog House

Completely smiley_offtopic.gif

Thank for sharing that link - we followed that boat through Wardle Lock and by scrolling forward through their blog I found a photo taken at Wardle Lock.

Such a small world!

I had my boat blacked there earlier in the year.

What a shame. It was very useful! Not an eye sore at all. He was upgrading the free car park then. There is really no-where else to park close to the lock without blocking the lane, and to add to the problem, the bridge over the adjacent railway is steep, narrow and blind.

They are such lovely helpful people too!

I had my boat blacked there earlier in the year.

What a shame. It was very useful! Not an eye sore at all. He was upgrading the free car park then. There is really no-where else to park close to the lock without blocking the lane, and to add to the problem, the bridge over the adjacent railway is steep, narrow and blind.

They are such lovely helpful people too!

I think the real shame is that it already had a canopy, all be it just to the front and this was really nothing more than a bigger one with an 'end' fitted to one of the sides, presumably to provide extra cover and shelter to his customers.

450px-Srenson_Lock.jpg

Having already spent no doubt several hundred pounds on it he has been reluctant to alter it.

But then I suppose it shouldn't really have been a retrospective application and permission should have been sought prior to carrying out the work, however you do wonder who takes it upon themselves to 'report' such things, it would never have crossed my mind to report something which as far as I can see is aesthetically very easy on the eye and in keeping with the building overall even one which is listed.

Edited by The Dog House

The trouble here of course is that the numpties who come up with a decision that closes a very good small business are themselves sat in an office as employees on a salary month in month out without any risk. The business owner has to be good enough to make a living with all the hassle that comes with it.

Decisions should be made by people who risk their own jobs by becoming self employed no office wallers hiding behind a salaried position.

Though off topic if everyone was made to be self employed there would be a hell of a lot less people loafing about and not having jobs.

Tim

Eddie said in the article that it wasn't viable without it as there is not enough room inside and as Joe1978 said already people sit outside drinking their teas when it's pouring down.

There aren't that many places with that level of entertainment available right outside.

you do wonder who takes it upon themselves to 'report' such things

and...

OK there is the pub (bubble Inn) behind it but you can't see the boats or the lock from there

Yeah, I do wonder who takes it upon themselves to 'report' such things ...and I wonder who might benefit by doing such a thing !

• 3 months later...

It was thanks to the fact that there were people sitting outside under the canopy that we had help when my hubby slipped in the lock. It is a lovely spot for anyone who likes to sit and enjoy the canal, the lock and the boats. I also think that the planning could be helping small businesses and finding a way around whatever the objection may be.

It was thanks to the fact that there were people sitting outside under the canopy that we had help when my hubby slipped in the lock. It is a lovely spot for anyone who likes to sit and enjoy the canal, the lock and the boats. I also think that the planning could be helping small businesses and finding a way around whatever the objection may be.

Hells teeth I'd rather not fall into any lock but definitely not Stenson Deep......