Stourbridge Canal Route From The Bcn

john6767

Featured Posts

With the current closures it looks like we will be going a longer way round from Birmingham to Fradley Junction.

So not having been the Stourbridge Canal route off the BCN before, are there any recommended overnight stopping points on the Stourbridge, or would the recommendation be to go from Merry Hill to the Staffs and Worcester in one go?

With the current closures it looks like we will be going a longer way round from Birmingham to Fradley Junction.

So not having been the Stourbridge Canal route off the BCN before, are there any recommended overnight stopping points on the Stourbridge, or would the recommendation be to go from Merry Hill to the Staffs and Worcester in one go?

It's a great route in or out of Brum. We enjoyed it very much last year. Several places to moor. If you need to stop off and go shopping there are moorings at Merry Hill which is a large shopping complex. We moored there.

There are several other places. Like many urban canals one or two sections are a bit scruffy but much of it is surprisingly good and in any case it is all to be enjoyed for what it is. The last section running to the Junction with the Staffs & Worcs is very rural given its proximity to "civilisation"

Of course, if you stop at Merry Hill, you can walk down to The Vine (Bull and Bladder)

We found it, and the way back, but the beer seems to have driven the route out of my head

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I done this trip around 6 weeks ago. Stopped going down halfway between the 16 locks near Stourbridge. very quiet and no problems. on the way back because the River Severn Was on red I stopped at Merry Hill. this is also a nice spot.

It's a great route in or out of Brum. We enjoyed it very much last year. Several places to moor. If you need to stop off and go shopping there are moorings at Merry Hill which is a large shopping complex. We moored there.

There are several other places. Like many urban canals one or two sections are a bit scruffy but much of it is surprisingly good and in any case it is all to be enjoyed for what it is. The last section running to the Junction with the Staffs & Worcs is very rural given its proximity to "civilisation"

Its a few yrs since we did this route...... We stopped around Merryhill for shopping & fuel - You do get a few strange looks wandering back with 2 jerry cans full of petrol in a crowded shopping complex !

IIRC we came down the delph flight, & most of the locks towards the Staffs junction , there was a nice area with only a couple of locks to go that we moored overnight, I'm sure you will found somewhere pleasant !

Is there a reason?

Interesting! We went up 4 weeks back no water in the lower pounds & we went aground until the boat before us let water down. A local resident with garden backing on the canal said he keeps reporting the problem to CART but next day it is the same. That said, when you get up to the Stourbridge level it really is beautiful. Well with it. We stopped at Greenforge.

Funny you should post this. We are doing the same route as we are heading back to Fazeley. Not sure of your location but we are currently moored at The Waterfront (Merry Hill) it's rather nice. Although the air conditioning fans of the hotel are rather loud but apart from that it is very quiet.

We have decided we might extend our trip by a day to go and checkout the Westfield shopping complex which is within an easy ten minute walk. There is also a Sainsbury supermarket there.

As for our next mooring we're not sure.

Cheers,

Alan.

We are deep drafted - 28" - but we found good moorings just after Farmers Bridge (about 400 yards from the top of the Stourbridge 16).

Only ten mins. walk to reasonable shops and pubs. Not in the Bull & Bladder class but fine for our purposes.

Yes I like the complete trip I was so pleased the Wolverhapton 21 were closed otherwise I would never have done the trip. Lots of good places to moor. I am a bit biased as I do like Birmingham area.

I guess I feel the same, if it were not for Minworth I would have gone that way, which I have done before, the alternative would be Wolverhampton which I have done before. So as 3rd choice this takes me on a new route, and in fact the only one off the BCN have not done before, so I will get the full set! Shame they are double bottom gates though.

I know Merry Hill, but not any further down, so I think I will see what time of day it is when we get to Merry Hill, and decide to stop or carry on.

Edited by john6767

I guess I feel the same, if it were not for Minworth I would have gone that way, which I have done before, the alternative would be Wolverhampton which I have done before. So as 3rd choice this takes me on a new route, and in fact the only one off the BCN have not done before, so I will get the full set! Shame they are double bottom gates though.

I know Merry Hill, but not any further down, so I think I will see what time of day it is when we get to Merry Hill, and decide to stop or carry on.

If you do carry on past Merry Hill, there's a small basin at the bottom of the Delph flight. "10th Lock" pub does an inexpensive steak. If I remember correctly, if you walk along the road, there are a good few real ale pubs to choose from.

Be up that way myself next week, so my memory will get refreshed!

If you do carry on past Merry Hill, there's a small basin at the bottom of the Delph flight. "10th Lock" pub does an inexpensive steak. If I remember correctly, if you walk along the road, there are a good few real ale pubs to choose from.

Be up that way myself next week, so my memory will get refreshed!

We can always walk down to the pub!

We'll be doing this route on our way to Sherborne Wharf next week. Given that we need to arrive at Sherborne on Thursday, I had in mind to stop overnight at Delph, then a detour to the Black Country Museum, then on to Sherborne. Is there a better sequence?

Thank you cotswold man we set off from Cheshire (shrop union) on Sunday to do parts of Birmingham and after seeing those photos i can't wait! Just one question, is there something i should know about Delph locks - just wondered as RLWP asked if Cotswold man had enjoyed them? Are they horrible in any way?