Can I Get Opinions On These Boats Please?

junior

Featured Posts

Then that's what you should go for because when it comes to internal practicalities vs. external aesthetics that tug isn't really a sensible choice for a liveaboard.

Can I ask why you think that? I sort of agree with you, but I have an idea of things i'd do to it to make it more suitable. I'd be interested in knowing how much of my list is on the reasons you think it would be unsuitable. If we are thinking along the same lines than i'm half way there. I've also decided I would want the cost of the majority of my list taken off of the asking price.

I'm back from France on Tuesday and going to view it Wednesday. So far it is still for sale so fingers crossed!

I'm going to view this boat today (the wooden one @ Braunston) on my own as a first time buyer. Can anyone with experience of wooden boats give me any tips for things or areas I can look at easily and should be looking out for with a weeden topped boat?

I'm going to view this boat today (the wooden one @ Braunston) on my own as a first time buyer. Can anyone with experience of wooden boats give me any tips for things or areas I can look at easily and should be looking out for with a weeden topped boat?

I'm certainly no expert but I have looked at a few wooden boats, once in the company of an old boat builder of some forty years experience and he told me the most important thing when you step onto a wood boat is how does she smell? Granted this is only a wood cabin, but if the boat smells "fusty" inside, be on your guard straight away.

With any wooden boat I'd say be concerned if there's any evidence that the previous owners haven't kept on top of the painting/varnishing. That's what does for all wood boats in the end, it's not how it was built it's how it's been maintained. Carefully examine where the cabin meets the gunnels which is a classic place for rot to set in. Same applies to any windows, hatches, skin fittings. Take a penknife with you and If you can get at the frames/beams see if you can stick the knife in easily, obviously if you can it isn't good. Take your time, make lots of notes and take photos. Making good a wooden boat isn't necessarily expensive unless you have to pay someone else to do it so think about the implications of any faults you see.

Let us know how you get on!

I'm certainly no expert but I have looked at a few wooden boats, once in the company of an old boat builder of some forty years experience and he told me the most important thing when you step onto a wood boat is how does she smell? Granted this is only a wood cabin, but if the boat smells "fusty" inside, be on your guard straight away.

With any wooden boat I'd say be concerned if there's any evidence that the previous owners haven't kept on top of the painting/varnishing. That's what does for all wood boats in the end, it's not how it was built it's how it's been maintained. Carefully examine where the cabin meets the gunnels which is a classic place for rot to set in. Same applies to any windows, hatches, skin fittings. Take a penknife with you and If you can get at the frames/beams see if you can stick the knife in easily, obviously if you can it isn't good. Take your time, make lots of notes and take photos. Making good a wooden boat isn't necessarily expensive unless you have to pay someone else to do it so think about the implications of any faults you see.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks. If it needs any 'putting right' I won't be buying it on the basis that I WILL need to have someone else do the work. Unless of course the seller is willing to take the cost off the asking price.

Ill take lots of pics.

I'm also viewing a Dennis Cooper BCN tug somewhere else today, I'm quite excited by this!

Here are the photos for the boat. WARNING: There are lots!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97221104@N03/sets/72157635075947948/

I took photos of EVERYTHING from every angle just incase i end up having to put an offer in without another viewing, that way i will hopefully get some feedback from on here beforehand.

I have a copy of a survey carried out by the brokerage a few weeks ago. They have said this can be transferred into my name. I will however be getting my own done. The resulst of the survey for the hull external are:

Flat Botton: Originally 6mm, ultrasonic measurements show the bottom thickness at 6.0mm reducing to 5.5mm/5.0mm at the aft chines. Pitting is present up to 0.5mm deep

Sides: Originally 6mm plate, ultrasonic measurements show the sides at 6.0mm reducing to 5.8mm at the lower footings and aft chines. Waterline corrosion is present centre and frd, the worst affected areas were hammer tested and ground smooth. Ultrasonic measurements show these areas have reduced to 5.3mm. A little pitting is present at 0.5mm deep.

Counter Floor: The Floor measures 6.0mm with no pitting.

General: The hull requires reblacking: I reccomend thorough preperation of the waterline prior to painting.

Four relitively new magnesium anodes are fitted by welding.

There are several other what i believe to be minor reccomndations (i will take photo of survey and add it to here) and one major problem being that the weedhatch is not up to insurale standard. The remidial work for this is being carried out next week.

I also have found out some history about the boat which i will post seperately. It adds to the attraction of the boat and there as lots of photos going right back to it's original build, plus photos of it actually working in the Manchester area.

I had a look at Albion a week or so ago.

A very interesting boat, the back cabin was, in my option delightful, the sleeping arrangements a little tight as I'm 6' tall.

The PD2 started straightaway and sounded sweet. I'd agree re the shower and the kitchen work top could be changed to freshen it up, repaint the ceiling and paint the lower walls cream to loose the dark green thus making it lighter in the main cabin.

The boat is very sweet, the survey report showing only 0.5 mm pitting, I guess good old brutish steel metal.

The down side was the angle on the tumble home was steep resulting in a cabin top being approx 4' wide and was made obvious due to the rear doors when open overlapping the sides so sticking out a little. This made it a little cramped inside although head height is good in the main cabin.

The stern sweeps in quite acutely which is a feature I guess.

The rear cabin outside was also wooden, being replaced 4 years would need high maintenance and the front oak deck covering would be slippy when wet/frozen.

Certainly a charming little tug though and tempting!

A very interesting boat, the back cabin was, in my option delightful, the sleeping arrangements a little tight as I'm 6' tall.

The PD2 started straightaway and sounded sweet. I'd agree re the shower and the kitchen work top could be changed to freshen it up, repaint the ceiling and paint the lower walls cream to loose the dark green thus making it lighter in the main cabin.

The boat is very sweet, the survey report showing only 0.5 mm pitting, I guess good old brutish steel metal.

The down side was the angle on the tumble home was steep resulting in a cabin top being approx 4' wide and was made obvious due to the rear doors when open overlapping the sides so sticking out a little. This made it a little cramped inside although head height is good in the main cabin.

The rear cabin outside was also wooden, being replaced 4 years would need high maintenance and the front oak deck covering would be slippy when wet/frozen.

Have you had enough of Emma B already?

Hands off, i'm going back for a second viewing in the next couple of days and pending a disaster i'll be making an offer.

Hands off, i'm going back for a second viewing in the next couple of days and pending a disaster i'll be making an offer.

I'm not suggesting it it is going to happen here but you wouldn't be the first to be pipped to a nice boat after asking about (and publicising) a nice boat on here. Suspicions then arise about it being pinched from under the potential buyers nose by another forum member.

I'm not suggesting it it is going to happen here but you wouldn't be the first to be pipped to a nice boat after asking about (and publicising) a nice boat on here. Suspicions then arise about it being pinched from under the potential buyers nose by another forum member.

Someone else on another thread has just said they were made aware of the boat through one of my posts and are now interested in it.

I'm getting TWITCHY BUM!

mike, I would have thought Trojan was worth more than Albion!!!

He didn't say a cash adjustment which way.

I know. I was having a quite 'dig' as Mike once valued my boat.

All harmless fun.

Why don't you call Braunston Marina and register your real interest with Albion and ask for the convenience of first refusal. And of course get over there and have another viewing.

Martyn.

I know. I was having a quite 'dig' as Mike once valued my boat.

All harmless fun.

Why don't you call Braunston Marina and register your real interest with Albion and ask for the convenience of first refusal. And of course get over there and have another viewing.

Martyn.

It's ok, they are well aware of how interested i am. I'm going back Monday with a forum member for a second viewing, thats the soonest he could do and i wasn't prepared to make an offer without someone more experienced than me giving me their expert opinion. Barring a disaster then an offer will be made there and then. Braunston know this.

It doesn't stop me getting a twitchy bum though that someone will walk in there tomorrow with a bag full of cash and buy it.

Edited by junior

May iask who is going with you? PM if you like. I have sent a PM to you also before seeing your latest post.

Braunston are in the business to sell boats, however I do believe they are quite fair people.

I, too don't like twitchy bum syndrome. Have a pint of good stuff. Sometimes works......

Martyn

Yes i did, if you follow my English carefully. Let's put it in mathematical terms:

Trojan = Albion + lotsa cash.

Incidentally, I too am pulling your leg, or possibly other lower appendage - Trojan is not for sale.

Except maybe to a rich Yank with far more money than sense. I believe they are quite plentiful.

Edited by Athy