Any Thoughts On Another Boat?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

This is the third of three boats that I plan to view initially, with a view to buying a liveaboard for one person. I've already posted similar threads about the other two on which I received some great feedback. I'd now welcome any thoughts about this boat, be it price, apparent condition, how it's equipped, or anything else.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=255145

Many thanks for any replies!

There is no way that is a 2 litre engine it looks very much like a 2 cylinder (possibly a 2.06 or 2.05) and I know I commented on the state of the engine room on your last possible boat but this one really is a mess.

ETA. Bollington is very close to Stockport go and have a look, do the boating equivalent of kicking tyres. Start comparing boats, until you do that you will not know fully what is and is not acceptable to you.

Edited by Idunhoe

Yes, that's definitely a boat for sale.

Look, shopping by website really isn't going to get you very far. Go and look at some boats. Go and see boats that you might buy. Go and see boats you will never buy. Go and see boats that are cheap, expensive, the wrong configuration. Basically, go and stand inside a lot of boats

When you have done that, you'll start to get a feel for what you really want and what you are prepared to pay

We started looking at short, £5k boats needing work and bought a ready to go seventy footer for over £30K. We only found out by visiting boats, brokers, yards and so on

Richard

I have no particular thoughts, as Idunhoe says that engine hole is frightening and as Richard says you need to get out there and looking at boats.

One point that style of rear door is notorious for letting water into the back cabin and causing rot if not meticulously maintained.

This boat looks weird - apart from the strange attempt at fendering - not important in itself, but indicates no real understanding of boats. The pictures show two different boats. The one (assumed on sale) looks like a converted trip boat with an open plan cabin - open to the elements that is. Look at the front canopy. Impossible to keep warm.

Overpriced?

Misleading description?

Something's wrong.

Extreme caution needed.

There are definitely two different boats photographed, I am sure it is not a case of one being converted to the other as the cabin shape is different, the dollies on the stern are different ... which is the boat that is for sale? In fact one of the pictures has got both boats in it!

"Thoughts On Another Boat?"

Yes. As Richard says. Stop planning and get out there looking at boats. Look at every boat for sale within driving distance. When you've seen them all, THEN start planning.

MtB

It's worth mentioning that Hallmark were supercheap boats, even Liverpools were upmarket compared with them. So £19,000 for a 15-year old 35-footer may be a little on the dear side.

I too am confused by the short cratch/ long cratch/ no cratch photos. Maybe it's a BOGOF offer.

Newbie here, so I hope you don't mind me adding my two penn'orth. I'm local to Bollington so I nipped up to Adelphi Mill this evening to take a look. The boat that's for sale is the one that appears in the top most photo i.e. short cratch, windows fore and aft and a central porthole. There are a couple of day boats there as per the lower pictures i.e one normal window and two roll-up ones. I should add that although The Duck shows this as a private sale, the contact details are actually for Bollington Wharf.

Ricco, if you are thinking of taking a look at this boat, then the 392 bus from Stockport to Bolly is a beautiful route meandering through the back lanes and criss-crossing the canal. If you caught it, then you'd have had a lovely ride even if the boat turn out to be no good!

Newbie here, so I hope you don't mind me adding my two penn'orth. I'm local to Bollington so I nipped up to Adelphi Mill this evening to take a look. The boat that's for sale is the one that appears in the top most photo i.e. short cratch, windows fore and aft and a central porthole. There are a couple of day boats there as per the lower pictures i.e one normal window and two roll-up ones. I should add that although The Duck shows this as a private sale, the contact details are actually for Bollington Wharf.

Ricco, if you are thinking of taking a look at this boat, then the 392 bus from Stockport to Bolly is a beautiful route meandering through the back lanes and criss-crossing the canal. If you caught it, then you'd have had a lovely ride even if the boat turn out to be no good!

You didn't used to be in a band called The Macc Lads did you?