Help Please! Outside Packet Boat Marina, Need An Emergency Oil Change On Lister Sr2

Featured Posts

Please can any help or know anyone who can, please? I have limped to outside of Packet Boat Marina on my hols from the Stort to Leicester Ring. Once down onto bottom of Lee my engine is over heating every couple if hours and I have to stop for a while to let her cool. She smells like she needs an oil change. I do not have the gear at present to do this. Is there any one around who can help me, please?

Please can any help or know anyone who can, please? I have limped to outside of Packet Boat Marina on my hols from the Stort to Leicester Ring. Once down onto bottom of Lee my engine is over heating every couple if hours and I have to stop for a while to let her cool. She smells like she needs an oil change. I do not have the gear at present to do this. Is there any one around who can help me, please?

Surely it would be better to address the reason for the overheating, and then do the oil change, wouldn't it?

MtB

I'm no expert but from what I have heard from others and observed from my engine, it is my humble opinion that the very old, thick oil when it becomes too hot after running clog up the valves/ pistons (?) And stop it from further response and then she cuts out until well cooled again. But as I said, I'm no expert and of course would be extremely grateful to anyone to even look at her and / or show me how to do an oil change,

Ah this is an air cooled engine I think, in which case the oil plays an important part in cooling.

Sorry but I'm miles away from you, but Packet Boat is pretty urban location isn't it? Get a taxi (or borrow a bike) to the nearest Halfords for the basic tools you need?

MtB

P.S. I'll prolly get slaughtered for suggesting this, but pouring a cupful of diesel into the oil filler will thin it down nicely!

I find that quite hard to see that under normal circumstances an overdue oil change would cause overheating.

The obvious first questions seem to be;

. What date was the oil last changed?

. How many hours has the engine done since the last oil change?

. What type of engine is this?

. Has it overheated before, and if so what cured it?

Sorry I'm not in the area ... Have you checked you've got decent oil pressure? is the air intake clear and unobstructed, likewise is the hot air outlet ducting still doing its job?

You're not too far from Uxbridge Boat Services (they're open on a Sunday at this time of year) phone O1895 252O19 (location is near where the A4007 crosses the GU a little bit to the north of where you are).

If you can limp a bit further still, i.e. to Denham Deep lock, then maybe the Wakehams may be able to help (phone O1895 271O7O).

Edited by Graham!

Here's what you need to do :)

1. Look on your engine to see if there is a hand pump, which pumps the old oil out.

2. If it does, the fix is very simple. You get a taxi to Halfords or ASDA, and buy 5 litres of 10W40 oil. (about £20)

3. You pump out about 3 litres, and then refill about 3litres of the new stuff.

This will keep you going for a while....and you can just repeat the process when you have issues.

Open ALL your doors so your engine gets a nice breeze when travelling, to keep it as cool as possible.

Cruise just over tickover and try not go to fast.

You should be ok if you follow these steps, although of course you could buy a new oil filter, and empty ALL the oil, and replace ALL the oil if you had the time....but no real need to.

Weed hatch checked and cleared a number of times.

No one to help in Uxbridge today, closed tomorrow. Some one did ask a shed worker and he said 2 weeks. Highline not answering phone.

I have gone into the Chandler in Uxbridge B.C. bought the gear and gonna try it myself self. It it is still not solved the Senior Waterways Chaplain Jenny has got some numbers for me to call further up the cut. Thanks guys,

Aircooled engines can overheat quite easily if certain things are not right, like too much or too less oil. Intake air vents on hull or wherever blocked. Air intake grill on flywheel fan housing goo'd up. Hot air outlet ducting bunged up or collapsed. Running on one cylinder. Cooling fins on cylinder heads and barrels goo;d up. Prop fouled or prop shaft too stiff to turn. These are the most likely causes of overheating.

check........ oil level, condition of oil, i.e is it sludged, stick hand in sump ( might want to stop it first ! ), cooling air flow is unobstructed, cylinder fins are clean. assuming there's no overload on it like a sofa round the prop.

oil should be ordinary multigrade,nothing fancy, the manual says 20w20 but you wont get that cheap. The best oil shop round there is Neat automotive station road West Drayton, they can't resist a good haggle over a discount. They sell Comma brand, good low cost oil.

edit.

bizzard just posted everthing in my post while i was typing it !clapping.gif

Edited by onionbargee

Thank u so much for ur kind messages. I've just come in and cleaned up. I looked on the internet and saw it was quite straightforward to do if u had the gear so I bought it from the Uxbridge chandlery and it was especially for my engine. I've changed the oil and started the engine up with no bangs or unusual puffs of smoke, so will check the level again in the morning and then see how she goes. I'm shattered!

There was again, second time today, and 5 in 2 days stuff around the prop which I've removed, part of which looked like washing line.

I bought the boat in September and from the look of what came out, its been in there a very long time.

Thanks guys,

Well done for doing the oil change. Do keep us informed about what difference it makes please.

There was again, second time today, and 5 in 2 days stuff around the prop which I've removed, part of which looked like washing line.

This bothers me slightly. Are you sure you got it all off, and none worked it's way into the stern tube? Does the propshaft turn freely by hand? (With the engine OFF and the gearbox in neutral.)

MtB

There was again, second time today, and 5 in 2 days stuff around the prop which I've removed

Pah - I cleared the prop in four successive locks earlier this year tongue.png

Richard