I Thought This Most Interesting: Lean, Green ( And Cheap) Washing Machine?

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

http://tinychoices.com/2007/08/20/washing-clothes-by-hand/

This tiny washer/ dryer solution item drifted through my attention recently, I quite like the idea personally..it may be a solution for the single person but heavier loads would involve quite a lot of cranking I reckon? It could easily be driven by a rechargeable cordless drill with a little ingenuity instead of all the cranking too? it could be mounted in a wooden box or crate instead of using the plastic frame. It would keep you warm and trim too...

Edited by Capt.Golightly

http://tinychoices.com/2007/08/20/washing-clothes-by-hand/

This tiny washer/ dryer solution item drifted through my attention recently, I quite like the idea personally..it may be a solution for the single person but heavier loads would involve quite a lot of cranking I reckon? It could easily be driven by a rechargeable cordless drill with a little ingenuity instead of all the cranking too? it could be mounted in a wooden box or crate instead of using the plastic frame. It would keep you warm and trim too...

If this is for a single person then the sink is probably the best option as you probably wouldn't have much room.

On reading the article it does say that the cloths were wetter?? than a normal wash, so a spinner would be needed as well. With all these bits and pieces you would be better off with a slimline washer fitted.

The quality of the author of the articles maths is a little in doubt as well, as they claimed to only use 9 gallons of water in this barrel as opposed to a conventional machine using 55 gallons (yes they think 55 gallons is used). a quick Google will tell you that in test the best and worse found by a Which report was 33 and 72 litres respectively, or about 7.3 and 15.8 gallons in old money. So in comparison to a eco machine they could be using a lot more water.

The quality of the author of the articles maths is a little in doubt as well,

He logic is pretty dodgy too.

She comments the clothes come out wetter so buys a spin dryer, then rationalises this decision by comparing the cost of running the spin dryer with with cost of running tumble dryer, as if the two machines did the same job.

The spin dryer wrings out excess water leaving the clothes still wet, just less wet and ready to tumble dry or hang out on a washing line. So she should be lumping the cost and extra effort of using the spin dryer into her comparison with the automatic washing machine, not claiming it does the same job as a tumble dryer!

Womens... Huh. (Well some of them anyway ;) )

MtB

We had one of those machines - and we were pleased to get rid of it and get a twin tub!

Dave

Ditto. Looked like a great idea, but was hard work for little result, and the plastic handle kept bending too.

Don't do it!!

It is a shame the build quality looks so crappy, the pressure component of the operation would make it more effective than hand washing (if it really works) and certainly easier...but it isn't cheap to find out....I need a solution which involves as little hard work as possible for myself and my batteries, though I guess if I ran the engine whilst washing this wouldn't be an issue? Thanks for all the comments.

It is a shame the build quality looks so crappy, the pressure component of the operation would make it more effective than hand washing (if it really works)

If you can find one of the older versions second hand (they are bright orange) then they are far better quality, with metal components rather than plastic and they do actually work though I found it far easier to go to the laundrette.

Here's one:

Clicky

$T2eC16V,!wsE9suw)po6BR5umQIBc!~~60_12.J

I used to spin dry my clothes in a beekeeper's honey spinner when I couldn't be bothered with the laundrette.

$T2eC16FHJHwE9n8igtZ9BRQZMir6pg~~60_57.JI wish I'd known it was worth £120 when I gave it away.

We have a Wonder Wash but not for main washing for that we use a twin tub. The wonder wash is good for smalls or single items, I use it to clean Microfibre cloths, socks or any smaller amounts not worth getting the TTub out. It's also good for soaking heavily soiled/stained items prior to washing.

If I were to use it all the time I would fix it to the draining board somehow as the suckers supplied aren't up to much.

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone who has one of these: http://twin-tub.co.uk/twin_tub.html

You plug it in, and pour your own water in, at whatever temp you like. 15 min wash and paddle action washers wash better than drum machines. First pump out could go into a bucket to go into the waste water but the rinses, given that you'd use a good an environmentally friendly soap, could go straight over the side, or into the water purifier ...

http://berkeywaterfilterseurope.co.uk/

With a Berkey filter you could drink canal water. No kidding. Not cheap to start but saves on the bottled stuff.

I'm missing something, I'm sure... The statement

First pump out could go into a bucket to go into the waste water but the rinses, given that you'd use a good an environmentally friendly soap, could go straight over the side

To me sounds like the first load of soapy water should go somewhere different to the rest of the water, which goes over the side... But where is it that the first lot of water is supposed to go? Being as all grey water goes over the side anyway? Into the bog tank?!

If this is for a single person then the sink is probably the best option as you probably wouldn't have much room.

On reading the article it does say that the cloths were wetter?? than a normal wash, so a spinner would be needed as well. With all these bits and pieces you would be better off with a slimline washer fitted.

The quality of the author of the articles maths is a little in doubt as well, as they claimed to only use 9 gallons of water in this barrel as opposed to a conventional machine using 55 gallons (yes they think 55 gallons is used). a quick Google will tell you that in test the best and worse found by a Which report was 33 and 72 litres respectively, or about 7.3 and 15.8 gallons in old money. So in comparison to a eco machine they could be using a lot more water.

The author is American. Their big toploader washers use a phenominal amount of water! Far more than a eu regulated frontloader. I had one for a while it was wonderful. huge duvets no problems! Just real heavy on water and power.

These things are ok and I guess 2 mins cranking for a half load (of a frontloader) is better than hand washing in trms of your energy. Also hand washing actually wears out clothes faster. I suppose its the friction.

I shall be putting an Ecoegg on trial when they arrive. I shall report. As no chemicals at all are used you could put the whole lot over the side. They work by minerals disturbing the surface tension of the water. I shall even try a cold wash ...

http://www.ecoegg.com/

then there's soapnuts, that use plant saponins to do the same. All perfectly canal-safe.

I'm back to the "eh" again about putting the whole lot over the side. This to me implies that you think most people don't empty their normal soapy washing up or washing machine water into the cut? There is no grey water tank on a narrowboat.

Edited by Starcoaster

I shall be putting an Ecoegg on trial when they arrive. I shall report. As no chemicals at all are used you could put the whole lot over the side. They work by minerals disturbing the surface tension of the water. I shall even try a cold wash ...

http://www.ecoegg.com/

then there's soapnuts, that use plant saponins to do the same. All perfectly canal-safe.

There's a new device available for putting in the washing machine, it's like a small plastic bottle with perforations in the bottom. You fill it with a product called snay coil before putting it in with the washing - but make sure you screw the lid on really tightly.

Dave

• Greenie 1

There's a new device available for putting in the washing machine, it's like a small plastic bottle with perforations in the bottom. You fill it with a product called snay coil before putting it in with the washing - but make sure you screw the lid on really tightly.

Dave

Why didn't you mention doing the top up really tight earlier, no wonder mine don't get my clothes clean

I know lots of people who use soapnuts and other alternatives to standard chemical loaded washing mediums and love them to bits.

LIke the market for Cillit Bang. I use 25% vinegar, the rest water with a dribble of washing up liquid in for the kitchen in a spray bottle. The toilet, neat white vinegar. The oven - bicarb AND vinegar. 99% of bugs dead. It's the 100,000,000,000 1% left that you need to worry about. Rolling eyes smilie won't post. I'm rolling my eyes.

Oh and smells in a carpet? Sprinkle thickly with - yes, you've guessed it - bicarb and vac next day. Fabreze eat your expensive, chemical nastiness heart out!

Washing powders contain ionic surfactants which reduce the surface tension of the water so the dirt can be lifted out. Bio powders contain stuff that eats organic stuff like grass stains - and skin.

The washing machine action does the rest and twin tubs have paddles and do the best job ever. Washing powders contain optical brightners too - they yellow by UV degradation so the day after you've worn it you want to wash it again in 'brightening powder' this pouring money into entirely the wrong pockets. They contain stenchy fragrances as well. Ecover is the only alternative and I'm not sure that should be poured into canals.

Two of my kids can't walk down the washing powder or the air freshener isle in supermarkets - I feel myself as if my nose lining is being eaten, but their eyes water too.

That's great, good for you guys.

But my question was, do you assume that boaters have a grey water tank or dispose of grey water anywhere other than over the side/down the sink? This is what is confusing me, your posts seem to indicate that we have greywater holding tanks that get emptied into drains or something.