Upper Reaches Of The Erewash Canal.....more Like The Amazon!

KJT

Featured Posts

I had to admit defeat today.

We were hoping to explore the Erewash up to its terminus at Langley Mill but in the end were beaten by the extensive thick blanket weed after Gallows Lock which is a little more than half way up! That and low water levels beyond there which saw us scraping along the bottom for much of the time. It took over two hours to do Gallows Lock to Greens Lock which is only half a mile or so. Eight trips down the weed hatch to pull out tons of the stuff! And plastic bags, a duvet and a complete Sari!

I walked up to the next lock and it seems just as bad if not worse, so decided to wind at the weir just above Greens Lock while we had the chance. There didn't seem to be another opportunity for nearly three miles, almost until Shipley Lock. I didn't fancy getting stuck up there, especially as this glorious weather seems set to continue for the foreseeable future, probably making things worse!

I presume that the hot weather is ideal for blanket weed. Perhaps later in the summer when it has died off would be a better time to attempt it again!

I did wonder why I hadn't seen any other boats that far up in two days of travelling, certainly none coming down which did seem a little ominous!

Ken

We were hoping to explore the Erewash up to its terminus at Langley Mill but in the end were beaten by the extensive thick blanket weed after Gallows Lock which is a little more than half way up! That and low water levels beyond there which saw us scraping along the bottom for much of the time. It took over two hours to do Gallows Lock to Greens Lock which is only half a mile or so. Eight trips down the weed hatch to pull out tons of the stuff! And plastic bags, a duvet and a complete Sari!

I walked up to the next lock and it seems just as bad if not worse, so decided to wind at the weir just above Greens Lock while we had the chance. There didn't seem to be another opportunity for nearly three miles, almost until Shipley Lock. I didn't fancy getting stuck up there, especially as this glorious weather seems set to continue for the foreseeable future, probably making things worse!

I presume that the hot weather is ideal for blanket weed. Perhaps later in the summer when it has died off would be a better time to attempt it again!

I did wonder why I hadn't seen any other boats that far up in two days of travelling, certainly none coming down which did seem a little ominous!

Ken

Hi

The weed is always thick, we keep it that way so as to keep boats away from our fab peacefull moorings. We will be planting more weed seed tonight.

wink.pngbiggrin.png

Tim

NB Melaleuca made it to Langley Mill last week.

The weed was bad, but not so bad for those of us native to the Middle Level.

The trick is lots of revs: you have to keep the prop spinning fast enough that is chops up the weed, especially blanket weed, faster than it collects it. It feels slightly strange, crawling along through the weed with the engine belting away, but it does work. Doing the "blast of reverse" trick to clear the prop whenever you get to a relatively clear bit helps too.

We didn't need to visit the weed hatch 'till we got to Langley Mill, when we found a rather nice red shirt. On the way back down, there was a pound through Ilkeston that was about 6 inches down due to a badly closed paddle. We bounced off the bottom a few times there, and picked up an assorted bladefull in a bridge-hole.

It's a nice canal, and the Great Northern Basin is a really nice visitor mooring. I recommend it.

MP.

NB Melaleuca made it to Langley Mill last week.The weed was bad, but not so bad for those of us native to the Middle Level.The trick is lots of revs: you have to keep the prop spinning fast enough that is chops up the weed, especially blanket weed, faster than it collects it. It feels slightly strange, crawling along through the weed with the engine belting away, but it does work. Doing the "blast of reverse" trick to clear the prop whenever you get to a relatively clear bit helps too.We didn't need to visit the weed hatch 'till we got to Langley Mill, when we found a rather nice red shirt. On the way back down, there was a pound through Ilkeston that was about 6 inches down due to a badly closed paddle. We bounced off the bottom a few times there, and picked up an assorted bladefull in a bridge-hole.It's a nice canal, and the Great Northern Basin is a really nice visitor mooring. I recommend it.MP.

Glad you made it all the way up to Langley Mill. It's been on my to-do list for a long time. It does look a nice canal so far and I'm a bit miffed not to have completed it this time. I did think about pressing on but I do have a bit of a time constraint so decided against.

I'll try again later in the year.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Even in march after the wet winter we scraped along the bottom quite a bit, no weed that time of year tho. Enjoyed it. And yes, having been through well creek and kings dyke, and Northampton arm, agree the high revs and occasional burst oh high reverse is very effective :)

To add to the interest someone left a gate paddle open at Pasture lock last night and the pound above it was down a good 2 feet and dropping when we arrived at the previous lock, Stanton at 9-30 this morning. Our boat was going nowhere at the depth. Didn't know what had caused it so walked down to Pasture lock and found the paddle open. Having closed it we ran several lockfulls of water down and it was just enough to scrape our way down. But no weed thankfully on the return. Just moored up at Trent Lock for a well deserved beer!

We bumped into a CRT chap later at Long Eaton and he said they were aware of our earlier problem and had run more water down after us so things appear to be back to normal now.

Still not a single other boat seen today, which is a shame as it seems a really nice canal.

In the morning we start up the T & M but reading other threads, that is also having issues in the Shardlow area. We shall see!

Tomorrow is another day......now, where's that beer?

Ken

Ken

I'll look out for you on m travels and say "hi", Gallows to Shipley lock is my area as a "ranger" for the Erewash. It's a brand new role for me and CRT. I will email a link to this thread to my volunteer task manager.

Edited by Dyad

I'll look out for you on m travels and say "hi", Gallows to Shipley lock is my area as a "ranger" for the Erewash. It's a brand new role for me and CRT. I will email a link to this thread to my volunteer task manager.

Thanks Dyad. Look forward to meeting you in the future. I think I will return in the Spring to complete the trip up to Langley Mill when water levels should be higher and weed less of a problem.

Good luck with your new position!

Ken

We were hoping to explore the Erewash up to its terminus at Langley Mill but in the end were beaten by the extensive thick blanket weed after Gallows Lock which is a little more than half way up!

Was it like this?

MiddleLevels1_zps68b9bada.jpg

Towpath tractor time.... .. oh no, too much foliage between the water and the towpath... ... urrrm?

We bow hauled about a mile of the chesterfield on out return from the campaign rally in what was about the only time i've witnessed weed issues with emilyanne but it was still a cracking trip worth doing.

Daniel

Thanks Dyad. Look forward to meeting you in the future. I think I will return in the Spring to complete the trip up to Langley Mill when water levels should be higher and weed less of a problem.

Good luck with your new position!

Ken

It is definitely worth trying again - the basin at Langley Mill is one of the systems 'hidden gems', a bit of a an oasis amongst the urban sprawl so to speak.

With a pub and a supermarket on your doorstep. We moored there two nights when the boat broke down (broken alternator bracket) a couple of years ago.

It is definitely worth trying again - the basin at Langley Mill is one of the systems 'hidden gems', a bit of a an oasis amongst the urban sprawl so to speak.

With a pub and a supermarket on your doorstep. We moored there two nights when the boat broke down (broken alternator bracket) a couple of years ago.

We certainly will. I've pencilled it in for next April when hopefully water levels will be higher and the weed problem should'nt have started yet. What I have seen of the canal so far it is really worth the effort.

I think I just picked the exact wrong time with the heat wave adding to water level issues and blanket weed growth!

Ken

Better still, the local deli and cafe, Basilia, has loads of amazing pasties, meat, cheese and cakes. Wish we'd found it earlier when we were fitting out!

When we came down the Erewash in April, we picked up one carrier bag on the blade- that's it. Maybe we were just lucky.

It's also not that shallow- we took Willow down on the first part of the trip back, and at 3' deep we had no problems whatsoever.

Better still, the local deli and cafe, Basilia, has loads of amazing pasties, meat, cheese and cakes. Wish we'd found it earlier when we were fitting out!

When we came down the Erewash in April, we picked up one carrier bag on the blade- that's it. Maybe we were just lucky.

It's also not that shallow- we took Willow down on the first part of the trip back, and at 3' deep we had no problems whatsoever.

We picked up some clothing on the prop coming back down too - not far out from the basin from memory, but that was it. It was a fair old lump but not too hard to get off.

Mainly due to many deep draughted boats mooring up there and keeping the channel cut for CRT!

It really is a great place, with very good local facilities, and a good boatyard.

Dan

We had to keep Millie on her lead when we walked beside the Erewash in case she mistook it for a lawn!

Sadly we didn't get to go up there while we were in the area, but it's definitely on our "to do" list.

We had to keep Millie on her lead when we walked beside the Erewash in case she mistook it for a lawn!

Sadly we didn't get to go up there while we were in the area, but it's definitely on our "to do" list.

Yes you must hug.gif