Such a beautiful day - Such miserable boaters

c c

Featured Posts

We thought we'd found the answer to that with a pair of PMRs. So the day before yesterday we had a mini domestic about holding the PTT down for long enough before speaking...

Also make sure you have the volume turned right down as you are doing the lock, next to the person from the boat coming the other way! Or you can get into lots of trouble........don't ask how I know this!wink.png

I don't know what all this communicating is for. We seem to manage with a few gestures for "boat coming down" (or up), "lock nearly ready" and a couple of others. What is it that is so obvious to one, but not obvious to the other crew member that needs all this communicating?

I don't know what all this communicating is for. We seem to manage with a few gestures for "boat coming down" (or up), "lock nearly ready" and a couple of others. What is it that is so obvious to one, but not obvious to the other crew member that needs all this communicating?

Exactly, working locks and boats is like a well seasoned band everyone knows what each other should be doing.

Darren

I have just spent the last few weekends skippering a trip boat on the Thames at Oxford in this superb weather. I'm astounded by how friendly and cheerful everyone is on the river as I was expecting the obligatory grumpy 'a holes' on boats to pop up every now and again to grief me, purely because I exist, but it's like everyone is on happy pills!

I have no idea if this is the norm but it certainly is different from some of the unsavory characters I've had the displeasure of dealing with whilst regularly working the Oxford Canal around Banbury on on a hot day that is for sure.

One sided the OP's story may be but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me and I've done a lot of cruising up and down, unfortunately I've seen a lot of similar situations. You could only speculate as to why Grey Pony Tail was in a bad mood, I sincerely hope there was no catastrophe that had befallen him earlier on that day, but frankly he sounds like just another jerk on the cut in the summer who is unnecessarily stressed out and thinks has the god given right to take take his anger out on everyone else around him. Bad show sir! judge.gif

Edited by kitman

We thought we'd found the answer to that with a pair of PMRs. So the day before yesterday we had a mini domestic about holding the PTT down for long enough before speaking...

Very true. Women do not seem to understand the concept of "press/pause/speak".

Coat!!

At least the cit has apparently lost the pleasure of the Reverend Martin Reed and his two Hotel Boats!

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that someone had hospitalised him. A lot of people report bad behaviour from this guy, I've never had the pleasure

Toilets don't need chemicals. They are an expensive waste of time, and bad for your environment. I understand that the cost of two large cans of chemical can easily cover a spa treatment...

Being miserable has many causes, and as a miserable git myself, I can tell you that nobody is going to be miserable on purpose, just because they like it so much. Rather the opposite. I know when I'm miserable, and that it does nothing to make me, or anybody else feel better. And paradoxily, that makes you feel even worse, and even more miserable. It is a viscious circle.

As for locks, it is up to the person in charge of locking a boat to take charge. If somebody interferes, tell them to back off. Locks are not a social club.

If somebody offers to help, simply explain quickly how you want to work the lock.

And a crew should have signals, not rely on shouting.

Time for bed, enjoy the sunshine.

In defence of CP I've never noticed him swear. He can be inappropriately crude for a family forum but swear? Nope.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=swearing+definition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

MtB

That's not strictly true Mike....

...and on a wider point the sheer irony of C.P. posting in defence of giving people a break, on account that they might be having a bad day, well I've really heard everything now!

Also make sure you have the volume turned right down as you are doing the lock, next to the person from the boat coming the other way! Or you can get into lots of trouble........don't ask how I know this!wink.png

Been there, done that. Like the time I was hovering in mid stream below Stratford river lock whilst Sheila worked it. It was a bit tricky with wind and current shoving me about, but she didn't appreciate it when I transmitted "I hope you're ready for me darling, 'cos I'm coming in."

Seems she was surrounded by a party of old dears on a WI outing...

Been there, done that. Like the time I was hovering in mid stream below Stratford river lock whilst Sheila worked it. It was a bit tricky with wind and current shoving me about, but she didn't appreciate it when I transmitted "I hope you're ready for me darling, 'cos I'm coming in."

Seems she was surrounded by a party of old dears on a WI outing...

HaHa - but don't forget the old dears have probably seen a lot more of life than you have. You don't become an innocent virgin just because you get old!