Ordered to Return to Moorings

bowten

Featured Posts

I am now reliably informed by one of the boaters that far from being "ordered" back to their moorings they have been asked.One of the boaters as a CRT mooring,but is in dispute with them over some vandalism at the mooring and does not to moor there regularly.The other has a mooring that is payed for when required.There is probably more to it than this but the boater without the CRT mooring was pretty angry at the time so obviously I didn't get the other side of the coin.And no, I have not seen the letters myself.

If a boat has a mooring one side of the canal but choses to moor the other on visitor moorings, they have two moorings in a congested area. Fair?

If a boat has a mooring one side of the canal but choses to moor the other on visitor moorings, they have two moorings in a congested area. Fair?

No I said they don't use the visitor moorings!They move around quite regularly.

why would someone with a marina mooring, go moor in another congested area? Surely people leave a marina, to go moor away from congestion/boats and experience the following. :) I'd be very surprised if someone left a marina to go moor on VMs...

bow.JPG

Why can't a boat with a permanent (marina) mooring use a visitor mooring?

What's next? Allocated moorings? Quotas?

Hang on...

Wait a minute,they are the one's that overstay. tongue.png

Edited by bowten

I am getting more angry now that I am beginning to realise I should not have started this thread without seeing the letters myself or asking for more facts.For that I apologise.I took hearsay as truth.I was hoping to help a friend with feedback from here,however I am saddened that I was not made aware of all the facts beforehand.

I am getting more angry now that I am beginning to realise I should not have started this thread without seeing the letters myself or asking for more facts.For that I apologise.I took hearsay as truth.I was hoping to help a friend with feedback from here,however I am saddened that I was not made aware of all the facts beforehand.

Don't worry about it happens all the time

My god, all this over moorings, its getting me thinking if its all worth getting my boat on the canal, Be easier to launch it in the sea with a nice tidal mooring, cant be doing with all bickering over simple things in life, which is what i thought boating on calals was.

bowten, dont worry, we all do it at times, we just like to help out but then find that what we have been told is not the whole strory, or just a load of rowllocks, reason i take everything folk say with a pinch of salt.

wayne

I'm wondering to what extent this is enforceable? If I received a letter or phone call like this and I told them no, what could they do to me? Take away my mooring? Refuse to reissue me a license? As far as I can see, not being regularly on your mooring doesn't break any CaRT rules, does it? Can anyone point me to something which states that this mooring/cruising pattern can be the target of enforcement action?

I would consider this to be a dumper

SDC10025_zpsdf760f95.jpg

If by 'dumper' you mean this boat has been dumped I would disagree with you. It looks to me like somebody's home. It's not to my taste, or yours - obviously.

But are you suggesting there should be minimum standards to keep a boat on the canal?

I am now reliably informed by one of the boaters that far from being "ordered" back to their moorings they have been asked.One of the boaters as a CRT mooring,but is in dispute with them over some vandalism at the mooring and does not to moor there regularly.The other has a mooring that is payed for when required.There is probably more to it than this but the boater without the CRT mooring was pretty angry at the time so obviously I didn't get the other side of the coin.And no, I have not seen the letters myself.

I think there may be a clue there.

Tim

I'm wondering to what extent this is enforceable? If I received a letter or phone call like this and I told them no, what could they do to me? Take away my mooring? Refuse to reissue me a license? As far as I can see, not being regularly on your mooring doesn't break any CaRT rules, does it? Can anyone point me to something which states that this mooring/cruising pattern can be the target of enforcement action?

It isn't enforceable though the "mooring paid for when required" one sounds iffy.

What interests me, and I am dying to put it to the test, is if I don't return my boat to the place I can reasonably and lawfully keep it (50' of hardstanding in front of my workshop) as often as CRT would like me to, what would they do then?

It isn't enforceable though the "mooring paid for when required" one sounds iffy.

This was recently discussed on here. The iffy ground of a certain boater's stance, that they had an available mooring, paid for whenever needed, and were therefore entitled to remain classed as 'home moorer' all the time; CRT wishing to class the boater as CC, without a home mooring.

I know of something similar several years ago. A boater had a rural BW mooring near Nantwich but they just bridge-hopped up and down a small stretch in Chester. BW told them that if they didn't use their mooring then they would not renew it.

This seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

What is reasonable about exceeding one's legal powers?

If you can point to where CRT are given the authority to dictate how someone uses their paid for mooring then their actions may be seen as "reasonable".

I know of something similar several years ago. A boater had a rural BW mooring near Nantwich but they just bridge-hopped up and down a small stretch in Chester. BW told them that if they didn't use their mooring then they would not renew it.

I don't actually think it is reasonable to force a boater to use their mooring, if they have a permanent mooring.

Edited by Higgs

This was recently discussed on here.

Discussion here does not necessarily make it proof.

I still believe that anyone can say that they have a mooring available them that they will pay for only when needed, if they look hard enough, which would make a mockery of section 17.

I don't actually think it is reasonable to force a boater to use their mooring if they have a permanent mooring.

I suppose it's more a matter of what they are doing when not on the paid for mooring?

Tim

I suppose it's more a matter of what they are doing when not on the paid for mooring?

Precisely!

If they are obeying the T&Cs of their licence and observing mooring restrictions then they are not breaking any rules or laws.

What is reasonable about exceeding one's legal powers?

If you can point to where CRT are given the authority to dictate how someone uses their paid for mooring then their actions may be seen as "reasonable".

Quite right. I really fail to see why people would waste their energy worrying about what other boaters do when they're staying within the rules and not hurting anyone. There are problems with how some boaters use the waterways but this is such a minor issue compared to some stories I read about on here...