Seen the boat I want.....what's next?

JIMtheGRIN

Featured Posts

Been to view a boat tonight. In our price range. Needs blacking & modernising. So what's next? I haven't spoken to the seller yet but will tomorrow. Do I offer a deposit while I sort out a surveyor? And can anybody recommend a good surveyor? I'm in Birmingham but the boat is near Cannock.

I have just used Steve Hand of 'Hands On Marine', on the recommendation of this forum.

He was very good, professional and thorough but very willing to chat about issues.

I would recommend him.

On what terms is your deposit, if you pay one, held and on what basis might it be refundable? Is there a proper binding agreement that sets out the terms of the purchase process? Is your deposit going to be held in a protected Client Trust Account?

Yes, I agree that Steve hand is a good and thorough surveyor. He once surveyed a boat for a customer of mine called Foot, which amused me.

• Greenie 1

On what terms is your deposit, if you pay one, held and on what basis might it be refundable? Is there a proper binding agreement that sets out the terms of the purchase process? Is your deposit going to be held in a protected Client Trust Account?

Yes, I agree that Steve hand is a good and thorough surveyor. He once surveyed a boat for a customer of mine called Foot, which amused me.

I heard he's all mouth......clapping.gif

I've spoken to the seller. Well it's in a Marina & being sold for somebody else. He told me the boat was over plated 2 years ago so I shouldn't waste my money on a survey. He did say I could if I really wanted but said I'd be better to save the money. He agreed it needed blacking & said we could have a good look at the boat whilst it's out of the water. Do people buy boats without a survey? Ive been looking at lots of boats online & it does seem cheap (in our price range) but it does seem well looked after, only really showing signs of age. I think it was built in the 1980's. I haven't offered a deposit as yet but I have told him I'm very interested. What do you reckon?

How can a survey be a waste of your money, Your choice at the end of the day but not sure I would want to trust buying off someone who advises you like that, especially a boat of that age. You have already identified that it is cheap in comparison so that should ring some alarm bells. Personally, wouldn't touch with a barge pole and certainly not without a survey.

Maybe I'm just naturally cautious/suspicious, but I hear warning bells....especially with the owner telling you not to bother with a survey.

Yes, people do buy without surveys...and sometimes suffer the consequences.

The advice on here is usually/always in favour of getting a survey, and any offer you make ought to be 'subject to survey'. Anything the survey turns up that needs doing should be negotiated off the price.

....... so I shouldn't waste my money on a survey. He did say I could if I really wanted but said I'd be better to save the money.

No, no no , no , no no , no no no.

get a bloomin surveyor, don't believe the salesperson.

It may cost you £500 but it will stop you wasting your money on a possible sinker.

If the survey says it's ok to go ahead, there may be lots of useful info comes out about what ACTUALLY needs doing.

Ok. So I'm going to get a survey done. So I shouldn't put a deposit on the boat until a survey is done? What if while I'm getting it surveyed somebody else nips in & buys it from under my nose? How could I stop that from happening? It is advertised on a couple of websites so there's nothing to stop somebody else buying it? I'm new to this boat buying business as you can probably tell ;)

You can put a deposit down but before you do so, agree the terms in detail of what "subject to satisfactory survey" means. Ie if the survey isn't satisfactory, you want the deposit back.

Obviously minor defects such as 1 loose cupboard handle shouldn't be enough for you to back out (that would be unfair on the seller, and devalue the point of the deposit - basically you'd be able to change your mind on a whim) but say if £10,000 of further welding was required, you'd want to either pull out or have a massive reduction on the price. But its up to you and the seller to define properly, where the 'line' is.

If a boat has already had plating in the past 2 years, then the hull is rusty, and may well need more welding/plating in other areas not addressed in the previous work. I'd say in this instance a survey is all the more important. Also you'd want to check the plating had been done to a good standard.

I personally wouldn't part with any money. It may be a pain to get back. You must have a survey. If the seller is sure of the soundness of the boat, they may think its a waste of money for you to have a survey, but they can hardly complain if you want to spend money to prove them right.

If their attitude becomes less amenable, I would smell a rat.

Edited by Higgs

Cheers for the swift replies folks. I really appreciate the help. I'm going to ring the seller in the morning & say we're really interested subject to survey. I've emailed Mr Hands the surveyor. I'll keep you all posted on results & progress.

Wish me luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same stage of possibly purchasing an overplated H&L and wouldn't consider it without a full survey. If you don't buy the boat because of it then it may have saved you thousands, but if you do then you have the survey for insurers and possible future purchasers to view, and a real understanding of your own boat..its a win win.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

I've spoken to the seller. Well it's in a Marina & being sold for somebody else. He told me the boat was over plated 2 years ago so I shouldn't waste my money on a survey.

Especially when they say this, get a survey. I had a similar thing - got the boat out anyway, had to, because we bought with a marine mortgage they insisted on a survey. Pressure washed it and all the two pack epoxy fell off! I had to reblack, would not have known about this had I not got her out for a survey.