Saltaire visitor mooring time limits.

Robbo

Featured Posts

Looking at this article on NBW, does this mean the time limits (no over night mooring and max of 6 hours) at Saltaire visitor moorings can't be enforced? There nice visitor moorings and only have restrictions due to residents in nearby flats complaining they living next to a canal with boats!

I don't know anything about the narrowminded world article, but there was a thread (or might have been a thread hijacked) about the utterly incomprehensible sign at saltaire, a while ago.

speaking from personal experience I've stayed their overnight several times because its a nice spot and I've also moored there for a few hours during the day (usually to go shopping ) and never had any problem. You usually find once one boat moors up another couple decide to 'risk it'. The sign is as clear as mud and I would argue unenforecable on the basis no sensible person would be able to understand what it means... it does imply there is some sort of £6/hour charge but I'd like to see anyone try to get any money off me - I throw it around like a scotsman with no arms...

ignore it and enjoy....

I totally agree the signs should be ignored, my issue is that they shouldn't be up there in the first place and to aim to get them removed.

I would support that, Saltaire is a nice interesting place to visit (and there is/was a cracking little tea/cake shop about five minutes walk from the moorings.

I ignore the overnight aspect but don't stay longer than a day - potentially very busy spot which could get clogged up. There is a need for more 7day moorings in Shipley Saltaire as there's never any damn space on them. I think there are moorings for 3 boats . . .

We moored overnight there in November. Another boat, fired their engine up at 7am, and ticked over for 30 mins (?) before leaving. 5 minutes later, Mr Shoutyman from the flats came down to have a go at us, and pointed to the no overnight mooring sign. We were just leaving anyway.

We moored overnight there in November. Another boat, fired their engine up at 7am, and ticked over for 30 mins (?) before leaving. 5 minutes later, Mr Shoutyman from the flats came down to have a go at us, and pointed to the no overnight mooring sign. We were just leaving anyway.

Wankers that do such as this is precisely why such signs get erected.

Edited by The Dog House

I met shoutyman a few years ago, but ignored him. The following day I rang BW Leeds and asked for clarification: "We put the sign up to keep the flats happy and we won't be enforcing it", I was told. Nice and honest. Nuff said. You can always say you've paid the fee when the local resident turns up.

Wankers that do such as this is precisely why such signs get erected.

starting up engine and leaving - seems pretty reasonable to me ?

as for mr shoutyman I'd give him an advert for specsavers as he obviously needs his eyes testing if he couldn't see the canal when he bought his flat.... its only been there about 200 years...

ETA - IIRC the sign doesn't actually say no overnight mooring it says something like mooring between 9am and 6 Pm, max 6 hours. outside of these times a charge of £6 an hour applies. something like that anyway... I only remember because it was so odd and I stood for about 10 minutes trying to work out what it actually meant before deciding to ignore it.

Edited by jonathanA

starting up engine and leaving - seems pretty reasonable to me ?

as for mr shoutyman I'd give him an advert for specsavers as he obviosuly needs his eyes testing if he couldn't see the canal when he bought his flat....

Not 30 minutes before you wish to leave.

Start-up, untie and move off.

Ed. to add. - Just downloaded a Waterscape Boaters Guide for the L&L and it makes no reference what so ever to any sort of restriction at Saltaire so it would seem the sign is indeed a bit of a 'sop' to pacify the people who bought a property next to a canal not realising there would actually be boats on it.

Edited by The Dog House

ETA - IIRC the sign doesn't actually say no overnight mooring it says something like mooring between 9am and 6 Pm, max 6 hours. outside of these times a charge of £6 an hour applies. something like that anyway... I only remember because it was so odd and I stood for about 10 minutes trying to work out what it actually meant before deciding to ignore it.

There's some new signs (put up in the last month) that say in big writing 'No Overnight Mooring'. As well as the old sign.

Looking at this article on NBW, does this mean the time limits (no over night mooring and max of 6 hours) at Saltaire visitor moorings can't be enforced? There nice visitor moorings and only have restrictions due to residents in nearby flats complaining they living next to a canal with boats!

No, it means that NBW are talking crap.

Hardly news.

There's some new signs (put up in the last month) that say in big writing 'No Overnight Mooring'. As well as the old sign.

thanks haven't been past this year.

Great that Cart can find the money/time to put up signs because one neighbour (who pays nowt) complains but can happily ignore all the broken gear etc.... the problem would be resolved if you could get near enough to the bank to moor at either end of that stretch between the mills

I know NBW can sometimes biggrin.png be inaccurate, but I was hoping that they didn't have the rights to enforce such a sign and therefore can be removed.

I don't think they can just arbitrarily declare any sections as 'No Overnight Mooring' anyway can they ?

Irrespective of the NBW 'article'.

I thought it would need some proper consultation (oh hang on)

Thanks for clarifications. I will take it with an even larger pinch of salt. Kris I could go home but then I'd have to walk a mile to see a hipster buying an overpriced thing . . .

True but they do let you moor long enough to spend your money in salts mill ,then you've got to leave

Regards kris

I know NBW can sometimes biggrin.png be inaccurate, but I was hoping that they didn't have the rights to enforce such a sign and therefore can be removed.

Yes, I know you were hoping for a particular answer.

Which is FAR from unusual, and the source of much of the current NCCCer problem.

People who get an answer they don't like choose not to believe it (no matter how convincing the case), and keep looking for a new answer.

As soon as they get an answer that is what they want to hear, they accept it without question, no matter how unconvincing the argument is.

When we were there 2 years ago, the ice cream boat said it was OK to moor on the Waterbus landing as it only ran at weekends and bank holidays.

It would be helpful if there was a sign at Shipley warning you that there was no overnight mooring at Saltaire. It's a long reverse or continue through another lock and bridge.

Regards

Pete

When we were there 2 years ago, the ice cream boat said it was OK to moor on the Waterbus landing as it only ran at weekends and bank holidays.

It would be helpful if there was a sign at Shipley warning you that there was no overnight mooring at Saltaire. It's a long reverse or continue through another lock and bridge.

Regards

Pete

There are though, aren't there? Just this debatable sign.

Martyn

Mr Shoutyman from the flats came down to have a go at us, and pointed to the no overnight mooring sign. We were just leaving anyway.

Steve, you are right, a very nice person is Mr Shoutyman, but I watched him get a verbal chewing out by a boater last year. If I had a bag of popcorn handy I would have hung around for the floor show.