Northern canals - reputation

Top cat

Featured Posts

Bath was named after a bun?? You confused, you thinking of Sally Lunn, who's bun house is one of the oldest houses in Bath, and has been a eating place for several hundred years. Bath is named after the hot spring baths, build by the Romans.

Say what you wil about thick Northerners, at least they don't point at cars anymore ( unlike the denisons of Norfolk)

Bath was named after a bun?? You confused, you thinking of Sally Lunn, who's bun house is one of the oldest houses in Bath, and has been a eating place for several hundred years. Bath is named after the hot spring baths, build by the Romans.

Say what you wil about thick Northerners, at least they don't point at cars anymore ( unlike the denisons of Norfolk)

You never heard of a Bath Bun!! Or Bath Olivers?

The clue is in the word 'bath', and the presence of the hot spring bath...

Ok... Donning my pedant hat:

The original settlement was christened 'Aqua Sullis', by the Romans, who build the bath house. It was later named bath by the locals, after the Romans left. The buns were named after the place where they come from, not the other way around.

Bath Olivers are bisquits, not buns!!

Edited by luctor et emergo

Thick Northerners?

Pay a fraction of the cost for their houses.

Pay a fraction of the cost for their beer.

Pay less for their fuel.

Pay less for their food.

Pay less for their boats (on brokerage).

Enjoy the serenity of Northern canals without the need to queue relentlessly at locks.

And most importantly, don't suffer fools.

Yes, they are rather stupid aren't they!

Whenever I see this type of comment regarding 'thick Northerners', I can't stop laughing (all the way to the bank).

Edited by Doorman

Nice trees but what a shame they are spoiled by that derelict building on the off side.

They should get the windows fixed by SafeStyle. You pay for downstairs, they pay for upstairs.

There's probably a reason why a terraced house 'oop 't norf' can't be given away.

Perhaps the boarded up properties either side put of potential buyers. Even the 'buy to let' buyers are not interested.

The cost of beer depends much on the locale, in Bradford on Avon a good pint of Ale can be had under three pounds.

And as for queing at locks, only sometimes, on a Friday when the hireboats go out en-masse. We only wait half the time anyway, because we can get two boats in our locks at the same time. Full lenght ones too...

because we can get two boats in our locks at the same time. Full lenght ones too...

Pathetic, not even close to filling our locks.

We can even make them longer if we need to.

Pollington lock.

Pollington+Lock+2.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

We are discussing canals, not river locks. We to have very large locks down here. There's the Thames, and quite a biggish lock at Avonmouth I believe...

How much 'proper' commercial freight (not trip boats) is shifted these days up north?

:)

We are discussing canals, not river locks. We to have very large locks down here. There's the Thames, and quite a biggish lock at Avonmouth I believe...

How much 'proper' commercial freight (not trip boats) is shifted these days up north?

We passed/were passed by five gravel barges on our three day journey up the A&C this month.

Luvverly

Pollington lock (pictured) is a canal lock as is Sykehouse, Woodlesford and Fishpond.

I don't have the freight carrying figures to hand but when we moor at our home mooring or on other Vm's or cuise on the big northern waterways we can see two or three tankers or sand/gravel barges each day.

Edited by The Dog House

There's probably a reason why a terraced house 'oop 't norf' can't be given away.

Perhaps the boarded up properties either side put of potential buyers. Even the 'buy to let' buyers are not interested.

The cost of beer depends much on the locale, in Bradford on Avon a good pint of Ale can be had under three pounds.

Good morning Luctor,

Apologies for my late reply to your comment but I had to fix the cistern in our toilet at the bottom of the yard. The toilet paper also had to be replaced as the previous edition of the Sun had expired.

I didn't know that you could still buy Tom Caxton's home brew in Bradford on Avon and would you believe, these boarded up properties have all been knocked down to build slums.

By eck, it is grim oop Norf.

Edited by Doorman
  • Love 1

Good morning Luctor,

Apologies for my late reply to your comment but I had to fix the cistern in our toilet at the bottom of the yard. The toilet paper also had to be replaced as the previous edition of the Sun had expired.

By eck, it is grim oop Norf.

Don't use The Sun it's full of sh*t before you start. Try a broadsheet, you get a better quality paper.

You're lucky to have a flushing outside loo, we are still using soil closets in these parts of Yorkshire.

I'm not sure of the latest figures for carrying on the A&CN, but would expect them to be around 750,000 tons per annum. When the coal traffic was still around the figures were more like 3 million tons, which astounded a German professor of transport I met some years ago, who thought that there was no traffic on English waterways. Our governments, of all hews, doesn't like to admit that we still carry significant tonnages by inland waterways. If you look at continental figures, there are many commercial canals which carry less than 1 million tons annually, so the tonnage carried on the A&CN is significant internationally. European figures are always skewed by the tonnages on the Rhine, over 200 million tons annually. I am sure there are others with better modern figures than those I have quoted as my interests are more historical.

Don't use The Sun it's full of sh*t before you start. Try a broadsheet, you get a better quality paper.

You're lucky to have a flushing outside loo, we are still using soil closets in these parts of Yorkshire.

Thanks for the broadsheet advice, I'll ask Mrs Doorman to change our daily paper (in the loo). Times are certainly changing and it would be great to be Independent of such use.

Our cousins from Pudsey often complain about their soil closets and yearn for the day when they too can have flushing toilets. And electricity! :-)

We've never had it so good.

And as for queing at locks, only sometimes, on a Friday when the hireboats go out en-masse. We only wait half the time anyway, because we can get two boats in our locks at the same time. Full lenght ones too...

Only 2 boats! we can fit loads and loads of boats in our locks but they are 21 foot wide and 200 feet long or more and work with a key perfik

Peter

Thanks for the broadsheet advice, I'll ask Mrs Doorman to change our daily paper (in the loo). Times are certainly changing and it would be great to be Independent of such use.

Our cousins from Pudsey often complain about their soil closets and yearn for the day when they too can have flushing toilets. And electricity! :-)

When my grandfather moved into a retirement bungalow he was very concerned that the toilet was in the house. He claimed that it couldn't possibly be hygienic using the toilet indoors were food was prepared and consumed.

We have trained our whippets to run on a giant hamster wheel. This runs a generator. when they get tired the ferrets take over. We can now have electricity in Yorkshire.

We have trained our whippets to run on a giant hamster wheel. This runs a generator. when they get tired the ferrets take over. We can now have electricity in Yorkshire.

I knew you Yorkshire folk were great innovators. My missus is a Tyke and she can make all flavours of gruel on our flint start open fire. She went to our local butchers today and asked for scraps for the dog. "Are we getting a dog" I inquired.

I knew you Yorkshire folk were great innovators. My missus is a Tyke and she can make all flavours of gruel on our flint start open fire. She went to our local butchers today and asked for scraps for the dog. "Are we getting a dog" I inquired.

I moved to Yorkshire aged 2. My wife reminds me that I will never be a true Yorkshireman.

Our neighbour is a hamster breeder. He sells them nationally to pet shops.

He burns (with timber) hamster bedding and poo, to help heat his buildings.

No really, the above is true, really

No slums down South then?

Apparently there are, I've seen some on that daytime TV show 'Slums Under The Hammer'. Where a couple of likely lads go to the Southern based auction rooms and bid in the region of 300k to 400k for a slum! Then, after applying a lick of paint and some other cheesy decor, along come the notorious estate agents, 'We Saw You Coming & Co' and slap a ridiculous value on what still is a very ordinary house in a very ordinary area!

And they call us thick!

Edited by Doorman

Back to the topic.

Currently on the eastern half of the L&L and the jury is out. Plus factors, lots of cheerful people on the cut and some excellent scenery. Minus factors, too many half empty pounds with paddle faults that have clearly been long outstanding, according to the locals and the failure of towns like Blackburn to recognise that there is more to valuing your canal than putting up fancy bridge numbers.

A boater from Burnley has just advised us to get through Blackburn and Burnley as fast as possible!

Apparently there are, I've seen some on that daytime TV show 'Slums Under The Hammer'. Where a couple of likely lads go to the Southern based auction rooms and bid in the region of 300k to 400k for a slum! Then, after applying a lick of paint and some other cheesy decor, along come the notorious estate agents, 'We Saw You Coming & Co' and slap a ridiculous value on what still is a very ordinary house in a very ordinary area!

And they call us thick!

I've seen some TV programmes that show whole streets of un-occupied and boarded up houses up north that nobody wants to buy or live in.

At least it is possible to buy and re-sell a house down here.

I was in Middlesborough recently for a football match and it has to be the most GRIM place I have ever been In my life (and I've been to Bagdad).

Edited by junior