Stratford-on-Avon Facilities

pearley

Featured Posts

My Nicholsons states Elsan at Lock 52, Pearson and Waterscape says only water. Can anyone confirm whats available? Otherwise it seems to be back to the top at Lapworth. or up river to 'The Old Bathing Place'

Regards

Pete

There is an Elsan point at Lapworth just above lock 22 at the junction. The next is at the Anglo Welsh yard at Wootton Wawen and then in a small building at Valley Cruises on Western Wharf in Stratford upon Avon just above lock 52

Water at Lapworth, Lowsonford, Wootton Wawen aqueduct, the tap at the top of the Wilmcote flight has now gone, Bishopton and at Valley Cruises although I believe there is a charge as it is not a CRT water point.

If you venture onto the River Avon, there is a water point outside the Bowls Club which is before the ferry as you go downstream

Edited by canalpubs

May I swerve off topic briefly?

Do we need a different license for rivers such as the Avon? I know a standard CaRT license doesn't cover the Thames.

MtB

Yes the River Avon is run by the Avon Navigation Trust, or similar ( It was separate Upper Avon and Lower Avon Navigation Trusts but they amalgamerged IIRC).

N

£197 (including my CRT reciprocal discount) seems a lot to cruise just 45 miles of river, when I get 2000 miles of cut for £700 with CRT!

MtB

Or maybe that just illustrates what blindingly good value CRT licenses are....

I was thinking about the short term licenses, 7 days for £50, it costs that much for 2 or 3 days on the Thames (depending on boat size of course). In annual terms compared to CRT's I would agree with you it is expensive on a per mile basis, perhaps you should be making a case for the increase in CRT licenses they are just far too cheap!

Thanks for the replies.

We actually emptied our cassettes at Valley Cruisers. The Elsan point has British Waterways signage and according to the permanent moorers there, they are CRT and not Valley Cruisers. The same with water. Waterscape says there is a CRT tap at lock 52 but that is also within the Valley Cruiser site.

I'll email CRT and ask why it is not made clearer.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the replies.

We actually emptied our cassettes at Valley Cruisers. The Elsan point has British Waterways signage and according to the permanent moorers there, they are CRT and not Valley Cruisers. The same with water. Waterscape says there is a CRT tap at lock 52 but that is also within the Valley Cruiser site.

I'll email CRT and ask why it is not made clearer.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for confirming that, that is what I understood, but was not certain.

£197 (including my CRT reciprocal discount) seems a lot to cruise just 45 miles of river, when I get 2000 miles of cut for £700 with CRT!

MtB

Or maybe that just illustrates what blindingly good value CRT licenses are....

I've just paid £278 for an annual licence for the Avon + £100 extra to make it residential. Next year it will only be 40 quid extra. Compared to over £1000/year that I used to pay for my Thames licence or about £800 for a BW licence before that, with no option of residential status, I'm not going to complain that the Avon's not long enough!

It really depends on how much cruising you do. If you actually make use of the 2000 miles of CRT waterways then of course it's much better value in terms of miles/£, but let's face it most people don't cruise that much and if they do they won't worry too much about 50 quid for a one-off week long licence for the Avon. Why would you let that stop you?

When I want to go for a longer cruise I'll just buy a 2 week CRT licence for the Severn and the G&S.

Edited by blackrose

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this post as we're currently on the River Avon heading to Tewksbury and struggling to find elsan points... Wish I'd read this thread earlier then I'd have found out about the Elsan available at Cox's boat yard Stratford on Avon!!!

Anyhow, this afternoon we arrived at Bidford only to find the VMs full and unfortunately now moored too far past the elsan point at Bidford Boats (no moorings available here either). Heading to Evesham tomorrow and hoping there's one at Evesham Marina... Fingers and legs crossed! ;-)

We were given a leaflet by the lock keeper at Tewksbury that shows them, I guess Stratford should have given you one. I can't find it now though but there is CRT elsan in Evesham I believe. There is a new one in Pershore by the water point at the park.

We were given a leaflet by the lock keeper at Tewksbury that shows them, I guess Stratford should have given you one. I can't find it now though but there is CRT elsan in Evesham I believe. There is a new one in Pershore by the water point at the park.

Of course I meant Avon Navigation not CRT, too much beer...

Thanks John, It would seem we were given the said leaflet which I confess I did read. My problem is I have too many navigational aids (Nicholsons, WaterExplorer, e-canal mapp, CanalPlanAC etc) and this particular leaflet and it's info got over-looked in my confusion. I'm guessing the elsan points are noted as 'Tip out facility' on the leaflet (what else could it be). Also it seems they have re-names all the locks differently to the Nicholsons just to confuse me even more... Doesn't take much these days!