Report back on solar panels

DeanS

Featured Posts

Yesterday I did a test on solar panels. They were giving us about 5AH each. (because that's all the batteries were asking for). I thought...what a waste.....cause the sun was out. I then ran the water pump, and was amazed to see the MPPT controller suddently push out more amps.... I thought...AHA!....there is capacity there if we want it in the daytime....so why not use it!

So this morning we've switched on more appliances than normal.

The MPPT controllers (2 x 30A) are each supplying 20AH ...thats 40AH !!!! Amazing! .and we still have hours of sun left.

Well worth the investment. I havent needed to run the boat engine in the mornings, and now only start it when we need to cruise on. (normally towards late evening, when the sun power is less than ideal, yet the theirs still enough daylight to do an hour or 2 travel or so.

Have you tried getting a 12V lappie adapter and rejigging the fridge?

What might be interesting is to disconnect the panels from one of the MPPTs then see if there's still enough power to live on. :)

Still good to hear the controllers are working together OK.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Do you mean amps or amp-hours?

Richard

Richard

I wonder if you can help me? A car I am thinking of buying has been road-tested to 100mph; disregarding any inefficiencies, will it do 200mph if I drive it for two hours etc?

What would be the fuel consumption? If I can find a long enough road, I would like to make some attempts on speed records, but obviously it's not going to work if it is necessary to stop to refuel before the desired speed has been achieved.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Edited by Tacet

Richard

I wonder if you can help me? A car I am thinking of buying has been road-tested to 100mph; disregarding any inefficiencies, will it do 200mph if I drive it for two hours etc?

What would be the fuel consumption? If I can find a long enough road, I would like to make some attempts on speed records, but obviously it's not going to work if it is necessary to stop to refuel before the desired speed has been achieved.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

If you're intent on confusing miles per (clue) hour and amp (clue) hours then all you do is make yourself look stupid rather than witty.

If you're intent on confusing miles per (clue) hour and amp (clue) hours then all you do is make yourself look stupid rather than witty.

When I worked Offshore the doctor wanted to know why we were so bad at taking peoples blood pressure so I asked him how good he was at starting Gas Turbine engines.

• Greenie 2

Hi Dean, You are doing the same as me I dont look at the meters anymore But today after I had cleaned the roof and panels I did note one of the banks was pushing out close to 30 amps perfik! My excess power is going into the imersion heater so a bit of warm water is achieved. I have had the dishwasher, auto washer, electric kettles, tvs, computer infact uncle tom cobbley and all!! and now my batteries are still fully charged what a great world we live in eh?

Peter

Chris. I don't think anyone is interested in being corrected by you. When you're perfect maybe we'll listen. 'Till then shut up.

We all know what Dean means.

Wow 5 greenies. Must be a record for me. Thanks.

The MPPT controllers (2 x 30A) are each supplying 20AH ...thats 40AH !!!! Amazing! .and we still have hours of sun left.

Welllll, amps are an instantaneous measure of current, 'amp hours' are measure of charge which is current over a period of time.

So if you're talking about the current from your MPPT at a particular moment in time, it's just amps, say 20 amps (20A)

But say you're talking about an amount of charge over time, instead of saying '10 amps for 5 hours' it's much easier to just say 50 amp hours (50Ah).

Clear as mud? unsure.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...