how to tie up properly

onionbargee

Featured Posts

No point in taking a risk is there. But seriously, with those tight ropes from the roof and the loose bow line the boat will heal over at the slightest provocation, so not very comfortable when boats go past.

Are they not fender ropes?

Some are - but the centre ones are almost definitely through a 'nappy pin' hooked under a rail/armco.

(Tie up like that on the Aire & Calder and wait for one of the sand barges to pass you and your breakfast will be on the floor for sure!)

Tie up like that anywhere we cruise and your breakfast will be on the floor. Some of the big cruisers can shift a surprising amount of water around for their size.

Why do some people insist on mooring so badly. No doubt they shout at every passing boat to slow down as wellmad.gif

Pretty bad, but very normal on the GU. Very very normal indeed.

My guess is only the rope tied to both handrails, and through the visible nappy pin is mooring it, and that all the rest, (despite their thickness) may be fenders, but you can't see the bottom end of most.

No defense, but can I see the faint outline of what may actually be a rope at the front, albeit a bit slack? Might there not be a similar one at the back.

A very normal scenario on the GU is for people to tie up at both ends on stakes woefully inadequate for the bank conditions, then add a bodge like this at the centre. You come along and find a boat apparently only moored at the middle, but the stakes at each end are by now hanging from their ropes in the water. I tried to retie one like this at Apsley on Saturday night when we moored "Sickle" just behind it, but what were being used as "stakes" proved to be long bolts, (with threads on the end), and were not long enough to stay put, despite my efforts.

I suspect those mooring up there might have come under the influence of Joshers "France" and "Holland" working North earlier on!............

Being charitable, could it be that the extra ropes are there because they've not know how to tie up fore and aft properly and have been sloshed about, so in inexperience thought, "Cripes, we need more rope", and proceeded to add a centre line? When that didn't work (as of course it wouldn't), they just added more. I note that they've tied the centre rope to both left and right guardrails, which i assume is a misguided attempt to prevent roll. It might be an idea to go, "did you know...", instead of pointing and laughing*.

*attempting to inform people can oft times lead to abuse, so I concur that pointing and laughing is probably safer.

I must admit when we leave our boat on the mooring we leave a centre line tied to a ring but always have it very loose, I suppose it's an insurance of sorts if the bow/stern lines give up for any reason and giving a chance for the boat to be re tied rather than drift off - overkill? possibly.....

I moor with a front line, and a rear line. No centre line, and no springs. And guess what? I don't move much.

But then I know how to moor my boat, properly.

As for laughing at pictures of other boats, ther's usualy a story behind a picture.

I moor with a front line, and a rear line. No centre line, and no springs. And guess what? I don't move much.

But then I know how to moor my boat, properly.

As for laughing at pictures of other boats, ther's usualy a story behind a picture.

The ropes accidentally fell off the roof?

I must admit when we leave our boat on the mooring we leave a centre line tied to a ring but always have it very loose, I suppose it's an insurance of sorts if the bow/stern lines give up for any reason and giving a chance for the boat to be re tied rather than drift off - overkill? possibly.....

I do the same , it takes a few seconds to tie a centre line on or pin it in and really what's the use of it just sitting ontop the boat , it may just be the line that keeps you attached to terra fima . I also chained up whilst on my winter mooring and will do the same on a river , you never know if some drunk likely lad thinks it a good idea to untie your lines .

I do the same , it takes a few seconds to tie a centre line on or pin it in and really what's the use of it just sitting ontop the boat , it may just be the line that keeps you attached to terra fima . I also chained up whilst on my winter mooring and will do the same on a river , you never know if some drunk likely lad thinks it a good idea to untie your lines .

That's sexist! It could be some drunk likely lady.

• Greenie 1

Not sure about chains on a river

As long as it's loose, otherwise every passing boat will set you rolling about and make life uncomfortable for you.

I'm not a fan of centre ropes on a river. Where we moor, in any kind of flood or water level fluctuation, I end up having to go down the river several times a night loosening centre ropes from people who tied up with them. It's a particular bugbear of mine.

As long as it's loose, otherwise every passing boat will set you rolling about and make life uncomfortable for you.

I'm not a fan of centre ropes on a river. Where we moor, in any kind of flood or water level fluctuation, I end up having to go down the river several times a night loosening centre ropes from people who tied up with them. It's a particular bugbear of mine.

Knife