Will You Take A CRT Employee On Your Boat?

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I would be happy to sign up but we are very new to the water ways (5 months) if thats ok i will send off the the mail , we have covered a fair distance in that time , currently on the lower GU having come up the K&A and Thames .

You would be more than welcome. Time boating makes no difference

It is often mentioned on here and other places that one of the problems is that CRT Employees never actually go on the system to face the problems that boaters face on a regular basis. To help overcome this in a small way it has been suggested that boaters might be happy to invite a CRT employee to spend the day with them as they cruise. This will take some planning as the employee will need to meet the boater at a given place and then finish the day somewhere near public transport so they can return to the starting point.

I would be grateful if anyone that would be prepared to help contact me so I can pass there details to CRT. In my case I will be inviting an employee to join me when I do the Wolverhampton 21 (being single handed!!)

contact me using this link please>>>>> http://johnsloan.squarespace.com/contact-me/

From a BW annual report -

Product familiarisation
Through our partnership with Drifters, the holiday boating consortium, our people now have a welcome opportunity to spend at least one day each year as a boating ‘customer’. We expect all our people to be familiar with the needs of boating customers and this programme is an important part of bringing this aspect of our work into the lives of our people.

My understanding is that up to 200 staff have benefited from this initiative so it would be wrong to suggest that staff never go on the system.

Having said that, I suspect that CaRT staff would benefit more, work-wise, from spending a day with a 'private boater' than an unaccompanied day trip or hire boat holiday so will be contacting John.

A brilliant idea. I could have one stay with me for a few weeks and they could walk with me to work everyday instead of me driving from the marina to my work place near a mooring with nobody on it which is a very short distance and the walk is the long way round, where I could have my lunch breaks on my boat and keep my batteries charged nicely and have hot water instead of paying for electricity. They might then realise that some people still have real friends they have promised to help with their building work for a few months and that their policies prevent people from going about their business in a harmless and in fact, very helpful way and do nothing more than cause a lot of inconvenience in areas and to people who the current cc and cm hysteria doesn't even apply to but the rules and brief / agenda is dictated country wide. They will even get the chance to witness first hand the rude and harassing behaviour of some of their employees who don't even introduce themselves and demand answers to questions they should already know the answers to or that they have no business at all knowing. They may even witness collaboration between BWML and their employees which as BWML is a ltd company and a charitable trust paid employees maybe should not be spending time working for a ltd company whilst being paid by a charitable trust and surely they should not be dictating to BWML who is allowed into a marina and who is not based on the charitable trusts employees personal choices and decisions - does this not stink of conspiracy? ( the real definition of conspiracy for the dumb, brainwashed readers infected by the insanity that is prevalent in these times - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/conspiracy .) They would have such fun. They may even 'call' for IWA to 'call' for changes in the law as they can't do it themselves being a charitable trust and all and a charitable trust isn't permitted to campaign for a change in law or government policy or is this another rule that suits when it's convenient and forgotten when it's not.

Edited by dew

From a BW annual report -

My understanding is that up to 200 staff have benefited from this initiative so it would be wrong to suggest that staff never go on the system.

Having said that, I suspect that CaRT staff would benefit more, work-wise, from spending a day with a 'private boater' than an unaccompanied day trip or hire boat holiday so will be contacting John.

What about they live on their boat for years at their own expense? Find a mooring near their job or do their best to improvise? What about taking a 3/4 cut in their wages for a year and staying on a boat?

I have found the people at the top quite easy to reach, Vince Moran attended the Continuous Cruiser meeting last week and stayed after the meeting to chat to people. I attended a meeting recently and Robin Evans stayed and talked to boaters. Is there a particular person you have found hard to reach?

You obviously have no idea who is at the 'top'. Who arranged the meeting, where was it and why was it there? I will assume in all my ignorance that it was in just one place. How may people were there? 10 - 11? We don't all live in fairy tale land and we don't all want to be attending meetings miles away from our own personal business to beg for a right to live and we don't all want to complicate the simplification of something that is self defeating in it's very existence. Do you really think you live in a democracy? Do you understand why the Aus. gov. had to fine people who didn't vote? People are loosing interest. fast, and this kind of thing isn't helping at all. A rule can only apply to 'most' people, especially those who beg, and it will always, without a shadow of a doubt, either benefit or not inconvenience those who are in a position to make them. When you bend yourself to someone elses rules, you are a bender, and will always be a bender until you realise the only reason you bend is that you choose to bend.

You obviously have no idea who is at the 'top'. Who arranged the meeting, where was it and why was it there? I will assume in all my ignorance that it was in just one place. How may people were there? 10 - 11? We don't all live in fairy tale land and we don't all want to be attending meetings miles away from our own personal business to beg for a right to live and we don't all want to complicate the simplification of something that is self defeating in it's very existence. Do you really think you live in a democracy? Do you understand why the Aus. gov. had to fine people who didn't vote? People are loosing interest. fast, and this kind of thing isn't helping at all. A rule can only apply to 'most' people, especially those who beg, and it will always, without a shadow of a doubt, either benefit or not inconvenience those who are in a position to make them. When you bend yourself to someone elses rules, you are a bender, and will always be a bender until you realise the only reason you bend is that you choose to bend.

Yup ok based on that I will change thanks for showing me the right way

LOL so let's get this straight. C&RT want me, to give up 1 day of my time....to give a boat trip to one of their employees.

Now then, so I pay them for moorings and license, so effectively I'm PAYING THEM to take their employee on a day trip.

Something wrong there.

Yes it has and not even sure when he said not insured he was correct. For the employee this will form part of their work so they will be insured.

Usually staff are insured if what they are doing is authorised by three employer. Thus the guy by the tunnel is probably correct in that he wouldn't be insured if he just hopped on a boat. However, as this scheme is backed by CART staff would be employed.

I would also be happy to take someone on the boat. I'm currently on EA waters but will be back on the canals in June heading from Northampton up to the L&L.

LOL so let's get this straight. C&RT want me, to give up 1 day of my time....to give a boat trip to one of their employees.

Now then, so I pay them for moorings and license, so effectively I'm PAYING THEM to take their employee on a day trip.

Something wrong there.

Nobody wants you to do anything you do not want to do if you want to keep the spirit of us and them going that is fine. In my case I do not see it as a day out of my life I shall just continue cruising as normal and at the same time hope that at least one CRT employee finishes the day knowing more about the waterways than when they started. I might even finish the day knowing more about the problems faced by the employees of CRT

I do not see anything wrong at all. Any business worth their salt wants to train their employees. It is really useful if their employees have a good understanding of how all aspects of the business work. When I used to work for a courier company as a desk based customer service representative part of the training was to spend time in different areas of the business. This included spending time in a local delivery office, at the airport and a day out with a van driver. I think many of the people we spent time with on those occasions were a little reluctant to have to drag us along with them as they they saw it as an "Us V Them" situation. In fact it gave them the opportunity to show us where the biggest problems of their day occur and made us much more understanding of what us people in the office could do to make like easier for them but also it brought a much better understanding between the two parties and helped to break down the barriers that had built up over the years.

I think it is an excellent idea, Boaters should embrace any opportunity to become involved with people from CRT. It gives us "customers" an opportunity to let them experience what we want and expect out of our canals. It assists the people in the offices to get a greater understanding of what is happening out there and how they can make things better for us. Sometimes it is just a small change but when adopted by an entire office or ebraced by the entire organisation it can make a huge difference.

We have no firm plans for a proper holiday yet this year but when we do we would certainly be happy to invite someone aboard. If people are not as outgoing and social as we are then no one is forcing them to do it. If you don't like the idea then don't do it. Please do not try and put off others who want to do it though. It can only be a good thing

A brilliant idea. I could have one stay with me for a few weeks and they could walk with me to work everyday instead of me driving from the marina to my work place near a mooring with nobody on it which is a very short distance and the walk is the long way round, where I could have my lunch breaks on my boat and keep my batteries charged nicely and have hot water instead of paying for electricity. They might then realise that some people still have real friends they have promised to help with their building work for a few months and that their policies prevent people from going about their business in a harmless and in fact, very helpful way and do nothing more than cause a lot of inconvenience in areas and to people who the current cc and cm hysteria doesn't even apply to but the rules and brief / agenda is dictated country wide. They will even get the chance to witness first hand the rude and harassing behaviour of some of their employees who don't even introduce themselves and demand answers to questions they should already know the answers to or that they have no business at all knowing. They may even witness collaboration between BWML and their employees which as BWML is a ltd company and a charitable trust paid employees maybe should not be spending time working for a ltd company whilst being paid by a charitable trust and surely they should not be dictating to BWML who is allowed into a marina and who is not based on the charitable trusts employees personal choices and decisions - does this not stink of conspiracy? ( the real definition of conspiracy for the dumb, brainwashed readers infected by the insanity that is prevalent in these times - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/conspiracy .) [/size]They would have such fun. They may even 'call' for IWA to 'call' for changes in the law as they can't do it themselves being a charitable trust and all and a charitable trust isn't permitted to campaign for a change in law or government policy or is this another rule that suits when it's convenient and forgotten when it's not.

Sounds like having a guy with you for a day would be a good idea

As far as I am aware this has been done before. I know of at least one employee who regularly hitches a ride on different boats to ravel up and down a stretch of the grand union. It helps them to become aware of any problems and this can only help.

It is entirely up to the indivigual to decide if they want to become involved but as with many things, if you don't become involved, how can things change?

It might be a good idea if you found out what Cotswoldman has done/is doing before you begin to rant. Although from what I have read of your posts you only appear to have rant mode.

The fact is CRT (like it or not) own the canals if you don't like what they do you have a choice engage with them as Cotswoldman does or choose not to use what they own.

Incidentally when like say National Trust you own something a rule you have can apply to all your "customers" if they don't like it they don't need to use the NT. The same applies to CRT hence it is wise to engage with them as Cotswoldman does.

• Greenie 1

Something wrong there.

It's no different to what I used to do when I was at work which was get out and about on the wards and speak face to face with the patients and relatives - it keeps you 'grounded' and reminds you what you were there for.

They are not going on a day trip at all but engaging with their paying customers.

It might be a good idea if you found out what Cotswoldman has done/is doing before you begin to rant. Although from what I have read of your posts you only appear to have rant mode.

The fact is CRT (like it or not) own the canals if you don't like what they do you have a choice engage with them as Cotswoldman does or choose not to use what they own.

Incidentally when like say National Trust you own something a rule you have can apply to all your "customers" if they don't like it they don't need to use the NT. The same applies to CRT hence it is wise to engage with them as Cotswoldman does.

Yes, I am always very near rant mode because if I see or am the victim of injustice then I like to make it known. One of the lock keepers I met 'hates the general public' What is this about? As far as I know, the NT doesn't charge people a fortune to use their parks etc and I have never seen or heard of an incident of harassment from a national trust employee. NT employees don't try to hound you off their land when they decide you have walked enough. They don't have a 'picnicking time limit' then harass you every ten minutes until you leave, they don't march up to you asking questions about where you are going and what you are doing then decide you have to leave their area because they don't like picnickers. I won't sit in silence and take this nonsense any longer. I won't sit by and support persecution of a tiny minority of vulnerable people, but will you?

Yes, I am always very near rant mode because if I see or am the victim of injustice then I like to make it known. One of the lock keepers I met 'hates the general public' What is this about? As far as I know, the NT doesn't charge people a fortune to use their parks etc and I have never seen or heard of an incident of harassment from a national trust employee. NT employees don't try to hound you off their land when they decide you have walked enough. They don't have a 'picnicking time limit' then harass you every ten minutes until you leave, they don't march up to you asking questions about where you are going and what you are doing then decide you have to leave their area because they don't like picnickers. I won't sit in silence and take this nonsense any longer. I won't sit by and support persecution of a tiny minority of vulnerable people, but will you?

Sorry but for me you are comparing apples and oranges the only similarity between CRT and NT are they are both charities and own their assets which is why I used them as an example.

You seem to think the only thing NT owns is land to walk over. They charge quite heavily for access to their properties and car parks and many have time limits etc. So not too different really.

You don't seem to use the NT much I have frequently been approached by their employees who have discussed with me my use of the facilities, how long I intend to visit for etc. It has been no problem where I come from we call it chatting.

Yes they do have areas where you can do some things and not others, they even dictate what type of boat you can use on why Lake I believe.

A lock keeper who hates the general public - people often end up in jobs where they are square pegs in round holes. The poor guy perhaps wants to change jobs but in the current economic climate can't.

I know this will, bring on another rant but I don't see any persecution of a vulnerable minority any more than say the NT who let out property for people to live in and then have rules and regulations about what they can and can't do. Where and how people live is obviously their choice in life, however how an owner runs their property is their choice. In some cases there will be a clash I don't see that as persecution.

Sorry but for me you are comparing apples and oranges the only similarity between CRT and NT are they are both charities and own their assets which is why I used them as an example.

You seem to think the only thing NT owns is land to walk over. They charge quite heavily for access to their properties and car parks and many have time limits etc. So not too different really.

Very true - last week we paid £2.60 to park just two hours at Roseberry Topping which is managed by NT. Compared with 80p for the same period in Northallerton town centre the day after.

And of course their machines don't give change - so we ended putting £3 in....mad.gif

Legalised extortion...

I can however see CRT taking a similar approach at some of it's 'iconic' locations like Fradley Junction/Hawkesbury junction - charging non boaters to park at these places seems a logical and almost inevitable step to me.

Edited by The Dog House

Some people are just angry and seem to think the only way to change things is to moan and rant. Some people calmly go about discussion and mediation with the organisations they feel could improve the way they deal with things.

Some people can only see one side of any situation and feel victimised by society, others keep an open mind and are prepared to see there is often another side to every story.

Some people die too early from raised blood pressure - others get things done.

Nice one Chesh. Have a greenie for being the voice of reason...

Some people are just angry and seem to think the only way to change things is to moan and rant. Some people calmly go about discussion and mediation with the organisations they feel could improve the way they deal with things.

And some people think Nelson Mandela should have contented himself with writing letters to the Times

Going about it the right way how? I am seeing alot of yap and not many details although I did she the short answer 'no' to the question of minutes of the cc meeting earlier in the post. If there are no minutes then it's not a meeting and what is said there will be nothing more than a general chat. There is alot of talk in here but no substance, there is alot of avoiding the truth.

Some people can only see one side of any situation and feel victimised by society, others keep an open mind and are prepared to see there is often another side to every story.

Some people die too early from raised blood pressure - others get things done.

I notice you sidestepping the whole point of the post and turning it into a personal attack and a judgement of me.I will ask again. Will you sit by and say nothing about a persecution of a tiny minority of people who do nobody else any harm?

I can however see CRT taking a similar approach at some of it's 'iconic' locations like Fradley Junction/Hawkesbury junction - charging non boaters to park at these places seems a logical and almost inevitable step to me.

They already do! The car park at the Fradley cafe is pay&display, only other parking is at the Swan carpark and I have seen cars clamped there.

Edited to say "clamping" - how quaint. Outlawed in Scotland several years ago, when will England catch up?

Edited by nicknorman