Not impressed with boaters today

DeanS

Featured Posts

tillergirl,

Maybe you should have suggested to them that their involvement would have been appreciated

(tho' that's no guarantee that they'd help, of course!)

I might have done if they hadn't stopped so far from the lock.............seemed quite clear to us they were just happy not to get involved..................and I do hate shouting like a fishwife down the towpath (though it has been known to happen rolleyes.gif )

To add to this thread we arrived at Birstall Lock on the River Soar today and proceeded to work through. A hire boat arrived at the top of the lock two fellas got off, stood at the side of their boat chatting and let us do all the hard work (some of the locks on the Soar are not easy). After we had filled the lock opened one gate and dropped the paddle one guy walked over said "Good Morning. that was good timing!" To which I replied "Good morning and thank you for all your help!" as I stepped on the back of the boat with the OH.

Its not the first time that we have come across hire crews who think its fine not to offer any help. I do wish hire firms would at least mention its polite to ask!

What's the point in just being sarcastic to a possibly inexperienced hire crew who don't know lock etiquette?

Why not just explain (with a smile) what you think they should have done before leaving.

Although to be honest i don't think lock etiquette necessarily requires them to help you anyway. You're only doing the 'hard work' you would have been doing if they weren't there. I dont feel any obligation to wind paddles & open gates for another boat although i mostly do if i'm not using the wait to pop inside for quick pee

• Greenie 1

I help out at locks if asked, but don't like interfering if the other boat crew is getting on with it. Did you ask for help?

We always ask and help out at locks if required. And as for asking no I didn't. I have asked before and didn't particularly like the way I was spoken to on that occasion. As for lock etiquette I would rather someone ask and at least give us the option to accept or decline. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but IMO manners in any walk of life cost nothing.

Edited by tillergirl

To add to this thread we arrived at Birstall Lock on the River Soar today and proceeded to work through. A hire boat arrived at the top of the lock two fellas got off, stood at the side of their boat chatting and let us do all the hard work (some of the locks on the Soar are not easy). After we had filled the lock opened one gate and dropped the paddle one guy walked over said "Good Morning. that was good timing!" To which I replied "Good morning and thank you for all your help!" as I stepped on the back of the boat with the OH.

Its not the first time that we have come across hire crews who think its fine not to offer any help. I do wish hire firms would at least mention its polite to ask!

tillergirl

Was there a need to mention the H word, I'm beginning to feel like all the problems of the cut, from bad steering to bad manners are all my fault, just because I hire. Lets just say "a boater" please, instead of stigmatising us hard working, skilful, courteous Hirers!

• Greenie 1

tillergirl

Was there a need to mention the H word, I'm beginning to feel like all the problems of the cut, from bad steering to bad manners are all my fault, just because I hire. Lets just say "a boater" please, instead of stigmatising us hard working, skilful, courteous Hirers!

What he said!

My OH was waiting at a lock for our (hire) boat to arrive and offered to help a slightly harassed boat owner, his offer was declined because said boat owner didn't want to lend him his windlass because it was an expensive one "not like those you hirers are used to using! "

OH sat on the lock gate and watched him and his family struggle!

Alyson

We always ask and help out at locks if required. And as for asking no I didn't. I have asked before and didn't particularly like the way I was spoken to on that occasion. As for lock etiquette I would rather someone ask and at least give us the option to accept or decline. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but IMO manners in any walk of life cost nothing.

It is of course possible that they may have offered to help someone else previously and "didn't particularly like the way they were spoken to on that occasion". It is not unknown for hirers to be put off by some boat owners which can make them wary of offering to help.

uh huh, and being sarcastic instead of explaining where you think they went wrong isn't bad manners then?

Explaining where they went wrong seems condescending

only if you have no communication skills - but i dont think they did anything wrong anyway.

and never fear Skye & Dyertribe; there's plenty of non stroppy boaters out there who enjoy meeting hireboaters - especially the crewed up ones right behind me on a flight biggrin.png

We always used to help out without thinking. That was just what one did. However in recent years we have found an increasing number of boaters who dislike being helped and get stroppy. Yes, we could ask but there comes a point when its easier and safer just to look on. We haven't got to that point yet and it will be a shame if we do, but sometimes I feel we are not that far off!

Edited by nicknorman

tillergirl

Have to agree. I hire. (shame on me.....) And I've met owners and hirers alike that could do with lessons in communication and manners. And yes. Owners sometimes can't steer either lol

We always used to help out without thinking. That was just what one did. However in recent years we have found an increasing number of boaters who dislike being helped and get stroppy. Yes, we could ask but there comes a point when its easier and safer just to look on. We haven't got to that point yet and it will be a shame if we do, but sometimes I feel we are not that far off!

I know what you mean. I tend to approach the obvious paddle/gate thing to do & look for non verbal clues to see if they're ok with me 'helping'.If winding paddles i usually keep pace with the crew person from the boat in the lock. I'll usually ask single handers though .

If behind someone (and no boat going the other way) i would always close up behind them & expect a boat behind me them to do the same but i think thats because its an obvious efficiency thing

tbh, i prefer to do locks myself and really dont like people piling in & 'helping' - especially when the help consists of wacking up top paddles when i'm not even off the boat yet or chucking my rope on to the boat roof before i've pulled it over the ladder to climb down but most help is harmless & it would be churlish to complain.

If we want to live in a world where we meet happy rather than stroppy people then we start by being happy ourselves, even when we have a reason to be stroppy with someone else

Have to agree. I hire. (shame on me.....) And I've met owners and hirers alike that could do with lessons in communication and manners. And yes. Owners sometimes can't steer either lol

I'm not sure that the mention that it was a hire boat was necessarily derogatory. Whilst the word could have been omitted, it could have been included because normally, hire boats are populated by happy enthusiastic people on holiday and keen to muck in, unlike some private boaters who are becoming jaded with too much exposure to canal life. So maybe in a way it was a backhanded complement to most hire boaters?

I'm not sure that the mention that it was a hire boat was necessarily derogatory. Whilst the word could have been omitted, it could have been included because normally, hire boats are populated by happy enthusiastic people on holiday and keen to muck in, unlike some private boaters who are becoming jaded with too much exposure to canal life. So maybe in a way it was a backhanded complement to most hire boaters?

Agreed. Our experience with hire boaters has been 100% positive so far. I'd rather share a lock with a bunch of enthusiastic, willing hirers who are on holiday and enjoying themselves than private boaters who are either in the middle of an epic row because they clearly shouldn't be sharing such a small space or are just miserable. Or of course the male private boat owner who thinks he has to teach me how to work a lock because I'm a mere female - usually the "advice" is barked from the steering position whilst his wife is working the lock with me.

I've had a lot of less than happy experiences with private boaters and none at all with hirers.

My experience in locks with other boaters, either hire or owners, is mostly positive, I take any opportunity to let another crew do the work, or share the load.

Unlike most, I sometimes wish they would open the paddles a bit quicker. (except the Bath Deep lock when I'm not ready...) Some people open the paddles about one turn a minute. Still, I let them get on with it in their own pace. I do enjoy getting the boat tight against the wall of the deep lock when on my own and opening the paddle on the boat side as quick as possible. It creates merry hell down there, but the boat (mostly) sticks to the wall as if glued. It confuses the gongozelers (and many a boater) no end.

Helping each other at locks or otherwise makes the journey more enjoyable. Things like this (helping each other) used to happen on dry land and is sorely missed.

If we encounter a single hander we always try and assist, that is unless they decline our offer. The use of sarcasm to underline your annoyance although not recommended, is quite often hard to resist. Some people will breeze past you whilst waiting your turn to enter a lock and while keeping their heads firmly fixed ahead, will willingly steal the lock. Sarcasm in this instance is well merited. The question "what did you think we were waiting for, a bus?", Is most commonly used.

I agree with the statement regarding hire boaters not being informed enough by the hire companies regarding etiquette, but then you could write a book on that subject. Even so, if you explain by your actions, together with a smile, you are much more likely to gather a favourable response. If this then fails, then they deserve all the sarcasm you can muster. One other consideration is that at peak hire periods, quite a few crews are foreign and quite miffed by their new surroundings and techniques.

One method we try to employ is 'cracking' one of the paddles of the lock we are leaving when we know someone is following and no one is approaching in the other direction. This simple action always gains a nod of approval when you meet the boater further along and they appreciate their next lock being set for them. This is particularly helpful on a flight. If others follow suit in front of us it makes for an easier navigation and a pleasant one too!

only if you have no communication skills - but i dont think they did anything wrong anyway.

and never fear Skye & Dyertribe; there's plenty of non stroppy boaters out there who enjoy meeting hireboaters - especially the crewed up ones right behind me on a flight :D

and never fear Skye & Dyertribe; there's plenty of non stroppy boaters out there who enjoy meeting hireboaters - especially the crewed up ones right behind me on a flight :D

Don't worry, we have always treated insults from a***holes as complements!

We always offer help, chat and take help and advice in our turn.

It's the exceptions that make the anecdotes, not the friendly helpful majority.

We help people, if they want help wherever possible but would always ask first.

What really annoys us is when we offer help to what we assume I'd a single handed boat (and not because we feel they can't do the job themselves) and usually in the persisting rain I may add, only to find the "crew" sat in the dry with a cup of tea/coffee. That really gets my goat!

Well just back from 5 days boating and all the boaters we met were cheery and happy, waved back when we waved or waved first.

Even got a wave from Humber Princess' skipper as we watched him go through Barnby Dun Lift bridge.

The traffic jam of three boats that built up when Syke House lock played up for a second time this week was a cheerful bunch, no body got narcked at the lock playing up or with the 20 minute wait for CRT to get to us...

Weather was crap but hey ho that's what you get for having a boat based in the UK.

What really annoys us is when we offer help to what we assume I'd a single handed boat (and not because we feel they can't do the job themselves) and usually in the persisting rain I may add, only to find the "crew" sat in the dry with a cup of tea/coffee. That really gets my goat!

I am afraid I open the conversation by asking if they are singlehanding before offering to help.

I'd like to think that was the case

I'd like to....................................

Hire or private I think it's down to the individuals attitude in the end

Whether full time or only on holiday. Some seem destined to be up their own ****

Personally. I'd offer to help anyone and would certainly welcome any help or advice anyone cares to give me too :)

After all. It takes me a lot less time moor now I don't have to do 6 granny knots and a couple of loops through any more :) All thanks to someone elses advice

It's pretty obvious when a boater is single handed. He (she) is the only one working the boat, and working the locks. Wether somebody else is on the boat is immaterial, they may have a very valid reason for not being out on deck.

For me, help is offered as it is received. Gracefully, and freely. To and from all.

It's pretty obvious when a boater is single handed. He (she) is the only one working the boat, and working the locks. Wether somebody else is on the boat is immaterial, they may have a very valid reason for not being out on deck.

For me, help is offered as it is received. Gracefully, and freely. To and from all.

Very true - they might be unable to help for one reason or another.

I must admit I humph a little to myself when people in a lock queue stay with their boats rather than helping out, mainly because if everyone helps the waiting time is shorter, but I'd never dream of saying anything because surely help should be freely offered and not expected.