Old Boats on the Cut?

Featured Posts

My boat has a hull that started life as a BCN station boat in the 1880's.

It was turned into a live aboard in the 1980's.

I am curious to know; are there other forum members who have a boat originating from the 19th century? If so, what you got?

And, does anyone know; what are the oldest boats still on the cut? And how old are they?

Cheers

Glenn

I believe Elland is thought to be one of the oldest, although it seems they do not know its build date other than placing it in the range 1840-1875.

There is also the wooden boat Maria, (1854), which I believe has existed continuously, even if it probably doesn't now contain much 1854 timber.

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks Alan, I wonder how they manage to date it?

I do like her. Unpretentious, with simple lettering and paintwork. A lovely front end! I've considered removing the fender to show off Goliath's bow. (I only hit things in reverse now)

I'm heading north so might see her come the summer.

That's Elland I'm on about.

I see you've added Maria whist I typed.

Ill have read of that thread.

Thanks again

Glenn

Edited by Goliath

The front 30foot of my boat is a riveted former BCN dayboat frontend. It retains a riveted bottom. There are also two riveted side panels to the engine room.

The previous owner said that he had a copy of a gauging doc from 1897 (lost in the fire)

Are you on the k&a ?

The bottom is riveted? I'd have a square of glass or Perspex fitted into the floor somewhere for the fun of a talking point.

I understand mine was a wooden bottom originally. Now sheet steel.

Do you know where yours was converted to leisure/liveaboard? Mine was Stourbridge. Like yours it's the front end that's original maybe 30ft or more. With lovely riveted over plating too. Lots of dents and bumps.

Glenn

The front 30foot of my boat is a riveted former BCN dayboat frontend. It retains a riveted bottom. There are also two riveted side panels to the engine room.

The previous owner said that he had a copy of a gauging doc from 1897 (lost in the fire)

So does HEART OF GOLD (if this is the boat I am thinking of it was named NETHILTA when converted to a pleasure boat - B.W.B. index 65124) retain a B.C.N. gauge plate, and if so what is its number so it can be reunited with a copy of its gauge table ?

Edited by pete harrison

Yes, I'm on the K&A. Not sure when and where converted. Welding was 'industrial', but very tough. Survey three years ago showed 1/4inch iron and 6mm steel all round, apart from a small square bottom section which was just over 4mm.

Pics in my gallery.

Yes, I'm on the K&A. Not sure when and where converted. Welding was 'industrial', but very tough. Survey three years ago showed 1/4inch iron and 6mm steel all round, apart from a small square bottom section which was just over 4mm.

Pics in my gallery.

I mention k&a, 'cause I thought you'd said so on another thread. In at crofting pumphouse heading east. Would have been good to see another BCN boat.

I'll have look at you gallery.

I haven't worked out how to put pictures on.

Glenn

So does HEART OF GOLD (if this is the boat I am thinking of it was named NETHILTA when converted to a pleasure boat - B.W.B. index 65124) retain a B.C.N. gauge plate, and if so what is its number so it can be reunited with a copy of its gauge table ?

It is Pete, do you have anymore info? The gauge plate is not evident, but it may be somewhere in the bow under the well deck.

It is Pete, do you have anymore info? The gauge plate is not evident, but it may be somewhere in the bow under the well deck.

I knew a previous owner, or at least we served on the same canal society committee, a long long time ago !

If the previous owner had "a copy of a gauging doc from 1897" it suggests a B.C.N. gauge plate may have still been attached to your boat and a copy of the relevent gauge table sourced. Having said that gauge plates are often removed for safekeeping / souvineers rendering the boat history as lost. If you can find a gauge plate (usually riveted into the fore end and stern end on an iron B.C.N. day boat) then I can provide a copy of the gauge table in the form of a digital photograph. The first B.C.N. gauge table to be issued in 1897 was 15435 on 01 January, and the last was 15992 on 30 December.

I believe Elland is thought to be one of the oldest, although it seems they do not know its build date other than placing it in the range 1840-1875.

There is also the wooden boat Maria, (1854), which I believe has existed continuously, even if it probably doesn't now contain much 1854 timber.

For pictures of Maria under Restoration, Replication, Rebuilding,Reincarnation,in 1977, whatever you want to call it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39245032@N08/8353362289/in/photostream/

Nearby " Watson Class " photostream pics show some old boats in use a few months ago, doing what they were built for.

If anyone is interested in how & what we did on Maria then and what we've done recently, ask me, I wuz there.

bill

MARQUIS is the second oldest originally self powered narrowboat still afloat, built for and by Fellows, Morton & Clayton at their boat dock at Saltley in Birmingham in 1898, as a steamer, and the oldest with her original fore and aft ends, albeit she has been shortened to 54 feet.

James