Loss of visitor moorings in Ware

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

There used to be 2 nice visitor moorings in Ware on the offside managed by the town council, rings to tie up to piled and with good access to the town.

One has now been squatted on for most of the winter buy a boater who claims he has a common land right to exclusively occupy it even to the extent of erecting a fence.

The other has apparently been let by CART to a trip boat operator without the town council even knowing.

There used to be 2 nice visitor moorings in Ware on the offside managed by the town council, rings to tie up to piled and with good access to the town.

One has now been squatted on for most of the winter buy a boater who claims he has a common land right to exclusively occupy it even to the extent of erecting a fence.

The other has apparently been let by CART to a trip boat operator without the town council even knowing.

You forgot to mention the Pygmy goats!

We stayed there a few weeks ago. It was ok then. I know the boat you are on about though. Been there for ages right after the bridge by the pub if I remember correctly. I don't recall it being a visitors mooring though.

Edited by fudd

We stayed there a few weeks ago. It was ok then. I know the boat you are on about though. Been there for ages right after the bridge by the pub if I remember correctly. I don't recall it being a visitors mooring though.

Town wharf is apparently due to be lost imminently

Ware Common had a boat all last year which had been allowed to remain due to illness, both are or were signed as 48 hour moorings.

Thinking of getting some goats

The pygmy goat keeper removed the visitor mooring signs. It used to be a great place to stop for the town.

He has bought the goats to claim grazing rights for the common land, even applying to defra for a license of some sort.

This one is going to be an interesting one, popcorn deckchair etc.

The pygmy goat keeper removed the visitor mooring signs. It used to be a great place to stop for the town.

He has bought the goats to claim grazing rights for the common land, even applying to defra for a license of some sort.

To be honest I am a bit more concerned at the possible loss of Town Wharf.

CRT have apparently let this to the owner of the Olympic Chariot boats without telling the town council who are supposedly responsible for the wharf and had been talking about putting water and elsan facilities in.

There are 4 of these boats, I wonder how many other of the best mooring sites along the river are going to be allocated to them.

I noticed this too. We're running out of mooring spots on the Lee. We've also lost that lovely one in Hertford by the park and you can no longer moor above lower lock on the Stort as they've put those reeds and logs on the bankside.

We need more places to tie up, not less.

You have to hand it to the bloke, that is one scam no ones thought of, he gets todays cheeky git award.

Thing is with squatters they have no more rights than anyone else, we can go down there and squat on his squat, see how he likes it.

That may be why he has the dogs, you would need to wait until he has to move his boat for some reason.

Here he is with his fence

00329839%20-%20350x232.jpg

My link

The news article was way back when he was claiming the bulls**t reason for the fence was to stop kids falling in. Yeah right.

The council was supposed to have written to him and given him 28 days to remove the fence or they will remove it and charge him. I would've thought it would've gone by now. He must have some tasty dogs. The IWA have agreed to fund new visitor mooring signs, but needless to say, nothing has happened yet.

Lets' face it, CRT aren't helping the situation in Ware, the first I heard of the trip boat on the town wharf (the only other visitor mooring) was on bl**dy Facebook! Boaters in, 'always the last to know' shocker.

I assume CRT have given the trip boat permission as there is no mention of this in the Ware council minutes on their website; that is still talking about a water/elsan point for this wharf.

CRT seem to assume they control the Town wharf as they had winter mooring signs on it (but no moorers)this year, though i would have thought it more likely to fall under the council's control.

At one time all the towns on the Lee and Stort seemed to have such a wharf, that at Bishops Stortford is nigh unusable due to silting and shopping trollies. The one in Ware was rebuilt by the Environment agency when they dredged and piled the river for flood prevention in the 80s so it was certainly constructed at public expense and ought to be used for public benefit.

If it is common land then what right has he to fence it off and prevent other commoners from using it?

If it is common land surely he doesn't have a right to "live" on it. I would think permanently mooring against it counted as living on it.

Here he is with his fence

00329839%20-%20350x232.jpg

My link

The news article was way back when he was claiming the bulls**t reason for the fence was to stop kids falling in. Yeah right.

The council was supposed to have written to him and given him 28 days to remove the fence or they will remove it and charge him. I would've thought it would've gone by now. He must have some tasty dogs. The IWA have agreed to fund new visitor mooring signs, but needless to say, nothing has happened yet.

Lets' face it, CRT aren't helping the situation in Ware, the first I heard of the trip boat on the town wharf (the only other visitor mooring) was on bl**dy Facebook! Boaters in, 'always the last to know' shocker.

That looks like the guy that used to sell ice cream and such off his boat down at Cheshunt, or do I need to book a session at Specsavers?

Meanwhile up at the car park, the double length VM has got a fugly boat moored right in the middle. What an arse.

It's the same bloke he seems to think he has a right to do what he wants. Had a run in with him a few years ago at the meetings in Stansted abbots, Tina had to walk me away. The sooner C&RT sort him out the better. Rant over

I noticed this too. We're running out of mooring spots on the Lee. We've also lost that lovely one in Hertford by the park and you can no longer moor above lower lock on the Stort as they've put those reeds and logs on the bankside.

We need more places to tie up, not less.

And yet the towpath between the Lee and Lower Lock is an absolute disgrace! Why don't they sort that out instead of wasting money on stuff which reduces mooring opportunities?

The latest meeting minutes from WTC are up. Nothing about the Town wharf trip boats though.

465. RIVER – COMMON WHARF

As agreed at the last meeting, a letter was sent to the person who had erected the fence at the Common Wharf requiring them to take this down within 28 days. In the meantime a notice of intention to graze goats had been put up. A letter had been sent to Defra expressing the Town Council’s strong objections to both the erection of the fence and the intention to graze goats. It was

RESOLVED to circulate any response from Defra to Councillors.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clear up any confusion Lee & Stort boat co will be operating a trip boat between Ware Town Wharf and Hertford, The Wharf is under the control of Ware Town council who have granted permission for the service, Bircherley Green shopping Centre who own the wharf at Hertford have also given there consent. New signage will be erected at the wharf shortly to show that half of it is for the trip boat and the other half is a visitors mooring. This service will start from 3rd May.