Please Help

Lettylou

Featured Posts

Sorry if this is in completely the wrong section but i need help. I have got back today from a week on the Llangollen Canal, on monday i lost my ipod on the towpath in or near Whitchurch, i believe it fell out of my pocket when i jumped of the boat to open the lift bridge. I asked at the viking marina and had no luck but i no there were a few boats around the area and following us and going the opposite way (towards Llangollen) it was a purple 16gb ipod nano 4th generation. Please please if anyone has heard or knows who ever has picked it up please contact me, i am lost without it and have a hefty task ahead of trying to replace the 2000 songs on it if i can't find it.

Thanks in advance and apologies again if this is in the wrong section.

Can't help with the iPod but....... Won't all your songs be backed up on your computer in iTunes?

Good point - if it is not recovered a sync with a replacement will sort the loss of the tunes at least....

no i deleted them as i had too many on my laptop and didn't plan on losing my ipod, gutted now that i did! thanks Paul, we came back through there yesterday and i checked, also last monday when i lost it my husband walked 9 miles back to Whitchurch when we realised it wasn't on the boat and obviously didn't find it, there was a blue boat behind us that said something about 24 and marina but we don't no what he said as was cruising on the otherside of the canal

no i deleted them as i had too many on my laptop and didn't plan on losing my ipod, gutted now that i did! thanks Paul, we came back through there yesterday and i checked, also last monday when i lost it my husband walked 9 miles back to Whitchurch when we realised it wasn't on the boat and obviously didn't find it, there was a blue boat behind us that said something about 24 and marina but we don't no what he said as was cruising on the otherside of the canal

Deleting from iTunes does not necessarily delete them from your hard disk, by that I mean you can remove them from showing in iTunes library BUT they will remain in your music folder on your hard disc.

Deleting from iTunes does not necessarily delete them from your hard disk, by that I mean you can remove them from showing in iTunes library BUT they will remain in your music folder on your hard disc.

Only if you choose "keep files" when deleting from iTunes.

I know it's too late now but an iPod isn't somewhere you want to be keeping the only copy of your music for the reason the OP has discovered.

Oh, and backup :)

Even if you have deleted them from your computer they should still be on your main Apple itunes account. So you haven't lost them.

If you sign into your itunes account on the iTunes store all your purchases will be there. Just resync with a replacement device.

A recent feature with the new Apple icloud now, every time you have access to wi-fi, with your ipod touch, iphone or ipad plugged in and in standby mode, it will automatically back up your latest content. Very useful. I am sure though that the Nano 4th generation doesn't have wi-fi but your music shoul still be there in the itunes store.

I hope you get your Nano back though! Good luck!

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Only if you choose "keep files" when deleting from iTunes.

I know it's too late now but an iPod isn't somewhere you want to be keeping the only copy of your music for the reason the OP has discovered.

Oh, and backup :)

Indeed - it depends on how you have removed them from iTunes.

My daughter once paid the price of not backing up her iTunes collection when her Macbook went belly up with no back up, Lesson learned, she uses Apples 'cloud' now which seems to work pretty well and is better being 'off site' so to speak.

Even if you have deleted them from your computer they should still be on your main Apple itunes account. So you haven't lost them.

If you sign into your itunes account on the iTunes store all your purchases will be there. Just resync with a replacement device.

A recent feature with the new Apple icloud now, every time you have access to wi-fi, with your ipod plugged in and in standby mode, it will automatically back up your latest content. Very useful.

I hope you get your ipod back though! Good luck!

Good point.

"9 miles"! Good man.

I must admit I'm a bit of a technophobe and for that reason I delayed replacing my old ipod for ages for fear that I would lose songs on it that I had (for a reason lost to my memory) deleted from my itunes. When I bit the bullet and replaced it, they all appeared. Which was nice (and clever in my opinion). (I do back up to an external thing but haven't even thought how I would go about getting them back from that)

I suppose it could have actually dropped in the canal. cloud is a wonderful thing both both my mac computers decided to give up the ghost within hours of each other and i lost alot of photos as a result and the memory cards are in a safe!! :banghead: place.

Depends how many we're copies from a multitude of CDs collected over the years.

All my tunes are on a couple of laptops, but I have no idea whetevallnthe CDs have gone, after several house moves:(

All the purchases from itunes might be there but everything else that has been loaded onto the ipod won't be, such as music copied from their CD collection.

All the purchases from itunes might be there but everything else that has been loaded onto the ipod won't be, such as music copied from their CD collection.

It's a pain but then you would be forced to have to re import your CD's which effectively are your backup in this situation ie no other backups - all that of course assumes you still have the original CD's - people quite often flog them on lose them or give them away after importing to iTunes....

we will have a quick check on the way back, passed it this morning but didn't see anything obvious

I had a look, since we're now back in that area. You mention the lift bridge - there's 3 lift bridges in/near Whitchurch, we've been able to check thoroughly the one near the junction (with the Whitchurch arm) but not able to thoroughly check the other 2 further up the canal or the towpath in that area (we were on a boat and only stopped directly at each lift bridge). The one we did check, the grass is cut short so an iPad would obviously show up easily.

I don't suppose you knocked it into the canal? Is it magnetic?