Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race

Flocal

Featured Posts

But can it go ahead with the Thames on red boards? Won't the insurance be invalid? :rolleyes:

I would think the cold weather will be more of a problem, I expect the higher flow on the Thames will be seen as a big advantage, less time on the exposed river and even a chance of setting new records!

...........Dave

It will be quite nasty if this weather carries on - although most of the canoists are very tough athletes there are a number of 'have a go for charity' and rotary club types who might get into real trouble with prolonged sub zero wet.

Last year we were out nr Kintbury when they came through. I was amazed by the speed of the later really fast pairs racers - they were moving at a terrific clip and had very slick moves for jumping out and portage at a full on run.

The official portage map for Woolhampton instructs the canoeists to put their craft back in the water upstream of the swing bridge. This will make it very interesting for narrowboats travelling in either direction - especially for novice hirers out of Aldermaston Wharf. You do wonder if anyone has done any risk assesment here.

Should be fun when the canoes meet Oxford and Cambridge head-on.

I presume the organisers of both events are aware of the clash and have a plan in place.

The boat race goes up on the incoming tide, the DW goes down on the outgoing - no conflict, they don't have any overlap.

But can it go ahead with the Thames on red boards? Won't the insurance be invalid? :rolleyes:

The less experienced crews may well get pulled out, but the fast boats will race regardless.

Hi there,

We where on the Thames last year & watched them go by but were told by there support crews not to navigate while it was taking place,

Is this the same on the K&A. :cheers:

That was 100% rubbish - the river is fully open during the race.

Should be fun when the canoes meet Oxford and Cambridge head-on.

I presume the organisers of both events are aware of the clash and have a plan in place.

When this happens they hold the canoeists back .... it should only be the canoeists that have got their timings wrong and missed the tide that get caught but when you are 100 miles plus into a race it is qquite difficult to guage where you are.

I did the race in the junior section aged 16 in 1978 (with two overnight stops). I am glad the river wasn't in flood then although most canoeists are used to white water so the Thames in flood should not present too much of a problem.

That was 100% rubbish - the river is fully open during the race.

When I did it in 1978 the River was fully open ... but not the canal mainly because it wasn't navigable! The portage down Crofton flight was a real killer!

I should think the amount of mud at Froxfield locks will be the most dangerous thing for them

...all that running with canoes over their heads ankle deep in slippery slimy mud

where CART are putting in bywashes to 7 locks & have made SUCH a mess....

WJM are you taking part this year? if so post to let us know how you got on.

I am having a year off. I have only done it 9 times so far so I will be back next year! Going narrowboating up the Basingstoke instead, far more civilised!

When this happens they hold the canoeists back .... it should only be the canoeists that have got their timings wrong and missed the tide that get caught but when you are 100 miles plus into a race it is qquite difficult to guage where you are.

If a crew really messes up their timings and hit the incoming tide most either sit it out at Teddington/Richmond and wait for the turn - or occasionally they might run with the boat. But paddling against the tide is pointless, progress is slow to none!

Edited by WJM

A third didn't make it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-21987624

But some of the two-thirds who did woke me up at 4 o'clock this morning.

I've no problem with people who feel the need to do these endurance challenges - each to their own, but why do they insist on shouting and screaming in the middle of the night? I daresay if I started shouting outside their bedroom window at 4am while they were asleep they might find it a bit of an imposition too.

Edited by blackrose

Good job its only once a year..i dont grudge them one bit for support crews blocking car parks, villages, bridges ect.

at 4am most of them would off needed all the encouragement and shouting at they could get ;)!