Yorkshire to Birmingham single handed in a rush!

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Advice please!

Last year I went to Huddersfield from Birmingham for a temporary job, taking 2 weeks for the trip. I had to make a detour since I'd planned on going through Standedge but was too high at the front and my tumblehome was too steep(?). So I ended up going: Birmingham -> Wolverhampton -> Great Haywood -> T&M -> Macclesfield -> Peak Forest -> HNC -> Back down HNC -> Ashton -> Rochdale -> C&H -> HBC. I had help some of the way and single handed some of it.

Now I've got to get back to Birmingham for a new jobs and I'm likely to have a very small window in which to do it. I may have help at some points but not guaranteed (anyone want to offer?) so I need to be prepared to single-hand the whole way. I have to work a month's notice at my current job, before i can properly leave.

I'm looking at options, so here goes:

1. Work my way along to Rochdale via C&H and Rochdale canal, over the next few weeks whilst communting back to Huddersfield for work. Then set off from Rochdale going via, Bridgwater, Middlewich, Shroppie, BCN.

This hopefully gets a lot of locks out the way before I leave properly but leaves me with the prospect of Failsworth to Castlefields single handed. Plus the CaRT boaters guide suggests the Grimshaw Lane Lift Bridge can't be done single handed but doesn't say why - anyone know?

2. Work my way down to Wakefield before I leave properly. Then head for the trent at Keadby, then Trent all the way to Fradley, then Fazeley and back in Brum via Aston and Farmer's Bridge flights.

Canal route planner suggests this would take longer, but there's less locks, some of which are manned. I'm more likely to be delayed by river levels and tides and I've never been on a tideway on my boat. I have an anchor & chain, mobile phone and battery powered nav lights, but no lifejacket or VHF radio.

I'm leaning to towards the western route as it's less affected by things I can't control. Plus it looks to be quicker.

What do you guys think? Is there another route which I haven't considered which might be better/quicker?

You could screw a Ski on each front top cabin side upside down with the front curved ends leading. These would guide the front end of your boat into perfect alignment with the tunnel mouth, pushing the bows down a bit and then slither along the tunnel roof quite happily causing no damage. Hope this helps. :closedeyes:

No chance of water butts in your cratch to bring front/sides within Standedge limits?

It was a no go last year. Can't see why that would have changed.

You could screw a Ski on each front top cabin side upside down with the front curved ends leading. These would guide the front end of your boat into perfect alignment with the tunnel mouth, pushing the bows down a bit and then slither along the tunnel roof quite happily causing no damage. Hope this helps. :closedeyes:

If only!

Plan 1 will only work when the repairs are completed near Anderton.

Oh crikey! Hadn't thought of that! Is there another way of getting onto the shroppie? maybe via the ship canal? Otherwise I'll have to get onto the T&M via the macclesfield and head south which means going back the way I came and a lot more locks. Damn!

It was a no go last year. Can't see why that would have changed.

If only!

Oh crikey! Hadn't thought of that! Is there another way of getting onto the shroppie? maybe via the ship canal? Otherwise I'll have to get onto the T&M via the macclesfield and head south which means going back the way I came and a lot more locks. Damn!

Looking like I'm swaying back to the tidal trent option.

Even if you could fit through Standedge Tunnel, that route will be out for the next few weeks due to a failed gate (on the Diggle flight) which needs to be lifted out and taken away for repair.

You are not going to be able to go via the Bridgewater and Middlewich until around May because of the breach at Dutton.

So it looks as if you'll be going back up the Ashton and up Marple and along the Macc.

Have you thought about going via Castleford, New Junction, Keadby and the Trent?

We did both routes last summer (Trent up, Shroppie down - and met you halfway :) ). I'd seriously recommend considering the Trent option.

After Wakefield, almost every lock is automated until you get to Derwent Mouth; and from there it's only a few broad ones until you're back on the narrow canals at Dallow Lane (Burton). The swing-bridges on the Stainforth & Keadby will slow you down a bit, but the landings are decent so they're not an insuperable obstacle.

If you read up on it the Trent tideway shouldn't pose any particular problems. You'll need to borrow a lifejacket, but you don't need VHF upstream of Keadby. I remember your boat being bigger than ours and therefore presumably not so under-powered, which was what tripped us up on the tideway.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

Put the boat on a truck. The money you spend commuting to the boat and back again will probably offset the cost.

You're joking right?

We did both routes last summer (Trent up, Shroppie down - and met you halfway :) ). I'd seriously recommend considering the Trent option.

After Wakefield, almost every lock is automated until you get to Derwent Mouth; and from there it's only a few broad ones until you're back on the narrow canals at Dallow Lane (Burton). The swing-bridges on the Stainforth & Keadby will slow you down a bit, but the landings are decent so they're not an insuperable obstacle.

If you read up on it the Trent tideway shouldn't pose any particular problems. You'll need to borrow a lifejacket, but you don't need VHF upstream of Keadby. I remember your boat being bigger than ours and therefore presumably not so under-powered, which was what tripped us up on the tideway.

Thanks for this. I've just been at Nicholson's Guide 6 and John Lower's 'Narrowboat on the Trent'. I'm thinking that's the way forward B)

Are lifejackets compulsory on the Trent?

• Greenie 1

You're joking right?

I dont see why

We needed our boat in a hurry hadnt got the time to move it due to work

Cost us about £1200 but we had somewhere to live and didnt have to take 3 weeks off work getting it back

Not compulsory as in "a man will come along and arrest you if you're not wearing one", but you'd be daft not to wear one. The Trent at Keadby is very, very wide.

John Lower's book is good, and the NABO notes are also worth reading. The must-buy, though, are the Sissions Charts (or Sissons, depending on who you ask), published by the Boating Association.

I dont see why

We needed our boat in a hurry hadnt got the time to move it due to work

Cost us about £1200 but we had somewhere to live and didnt have to take 3 weeks off work getting it back

I wouldn't dream of it even if it was £100. I live on a boat because I love boating. I'm not going to pass up an opportunity like this! I also haven't got anything like £1200 to spend anyway.

Not compulsory as in "a man will come along and arrest you if you're not wearing one", but you'd be daft not to wear one. The Trent at Keadby is very, very wide.

John Lower's book is good, and the NABO notes are also worth reading. The must-buy, though, are the Sissions Charts (or Sissons, depending on who you ask), published by the Boating Association.

great info again! Thanks. You're welcome along Richard. An experienced man is always useful to have around!

I wouldn't dream of it even if it was £100. I live on a boat because I love boating. I'm not going to pass up an opportunity like this! I also haven't got anything like £1200 to spend anyway.

I would have loved to have boated back especially as it was over one of the few waterways I havent done

However practicalities came first.

No holiday available to take.

Sold the previous boat on the Wednesday so nowhere to live

Bought new boat on the Thursday needed it back on the moorings Friday so we could move on over the weekend to go back to work Monday.

This is my thought now:

I leave on the 17th April, a wednesday. So I'll get myself as far as Knottingly by sunday 14th and have a couple of days with a long commute. Then I'll have 8 days to get back:

2 days to Keadby, 2 days to Cromwell, 2 days to Shardlow, 2 days to Fradley - roughly! :wacko: Then I start new job on 25th, a thursday. Work 2 days, then have the weekend to try and get from Fradley-ish to Gas Street Basin.

Sounds possible? Possibly!! Whatever happens, it'll be a hoot!

If the tides are right you can do Keadby to Cromwell in one hit you may need to push the first of the ebb as you reach Cromwell.

I'll bear it in mind and see what the lock keeper says. My old BMC can push the boat on at a fair old pace but the weak point is the slightly small skin tank. If I had to punch the tide for too long, I could get overheating issues. How strong is the current at Cromwell?

This is my thought now:

I leave on the 17th April, a wednesday. So I'll get myself as far as Knottingly by sunday 14th and have a couple of days with a long commute. Then I'll have 8 days to get back:

2 days to Keadby, 2 days to Cromwell, 2 days to Shardlow, 2 days to Fradley - roughly! :wacko: Then I start new job on 25th, a thursday. Work 2 days, then have the weekend to try and get from Fradley-ish to Gas Street Basin.

Sounds possible? Possibly!! Whatever happens, it'll be a hoot!

1 day Keadby to Nottingham

1 day Nottingham to Huddlesford

1 easy day Huddlesford to Minworth

1 easy day into Brum

I've actually done these timings myself, single handed, but I've had plenty of experience and can knock on in the deeper waters of the Trent. Need to do some long days mind - Nottingham to Huddlesford was a 16 hour day! :)

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

1 day Keadby to Nottingham

1 day Nottingham to Huddlesford

1 easy day Huddlesford to Minworth

1 easy day into Brum

I've actually done these timings myself, single handed, but I've had plenty of experience and can knock on in the deeper waters of the Trent. Need to do some long days mind - Nottingham to Huddlesford was a 16 hour day! :)

Mike

Only 16 hours, your headlight didn't work then?

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully I'll make your faster schedule, I just don't want to bank on it. In my experience, something will always come along to delay things. If I can make it to Birmingham by the 24th, I'd be over the moon!

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully I'll make your faster schedule, I just don't want to bank on it. In my experience, something will always come along to delay things. If I can make it to Birmingham by the 24th, I'd be over the moon!

I've made my decision. I'm going for the Trent. I'll be moving down to Castleford on 13th/14th of April. Then setting off properly on the 17th, heading for Keadby. I've spoken to the lock keeper at Keadby who advised me it will be a neap tide so I should settle for stopping over at Torksey. I've got an anchor, 2 phones, a set of emergency nav lights, two lovely unused lifejackets. Just need to get a chart now.

Then it's Trent --> Trent & Mersey --> Coventry canal --> Birmingham & Fazeley.

Any CWDFers who want a wave as I pass or to hop on board, let me know.

... you don't need VHF upstream of Keadby. ...
Associated British Ports are the navigation authority from Keadby to Gainsborough and their byelaws are here. Relevant extracts :

" 3 These Byelaws shall apply in relation to all parts of the Humber as defined in Byelaw 4 hereof.... 4. (1) "the Humber" means:- ... (ii) the River Trent below the south side of the stone bridge at Gainsborough"

"4 (1) (iv) "small vessel" means a vessel of less than 12 metres in length."

"9(2)... the master of a power-driven vessel underway shall maintain a continuous listening watch on the appropriate VHF channel for the area in which he is navigating"

"11(1)...the master of a vessel underway, other than a small vessel, shall have on board at least one other person to assist in the navigation thereof."

"40(1) Any person contravening any of these Byelaws shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale."

As with the lifejackets, nobody is likely to arrive with handcuffs for not having VHF, nor for single-handing a 40' boat - but these rules are part of the criminal law and if there was an accident, m'learned friends might be called in. More of a problem is the insurance policy which probably says you need to have complied with all the reqirements of the Navigation Authority - and you only ever know how good / tolerant is your company when you need to claim from them. As I understand it, CRT do not see it as their job to enforce ABP's rules as you leave Keadby.

We have done it a couple of times all the way to Cromwell - most enjoyable trips - and we didn't have VHF, and didn't at the time know we were supposed to! Give it a bit of wellie on the way out :-)

P4166151.JPG

Associated British Ports are the navigation authority from Keadby to Gainsborough and their byelaws are here. Relevant extracts :

" 3 These Byelaws shall apply in relation to all parts of the Humber as defined in Byelaw 4 hereof.... 4. (1) "the Humber" means:- ... (ii) the River Trent below the south side of the stone bridge at Gainsborough"

"4 (1) (iv) "small vessel" means a vessel of less than 12 metres in length."

"9(2)... the master of a power-driven vessel underway shall maintain a continuous listening watch on the appropriate VHF channel for the area in which he is navigating"

"11(1)...the master of a vessel underway, other than a small vessel, shall have on board at least one other person to assist in the navigation thereof."

"40(1) Any person contravening any of these Byelaws shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale."

As with the lifejackets, nobody is likely to arrive with handcuffs for not having VHF, nor for single-handing a 40' boat - but these rules are part of the criminal law and if there was an accident, m'learned friends might be called in. More of a problem is the insurance policy which probably says you need to have complied with all the reqirements of the Navigation Authority - and you only ever know how good / tolerant is your company when you need to claim from them. As I understand it, CRT do not see it as their job to enforce ABP's rules as you leave Keadby.

We have done it a couple of times all the way to Cromwell - most enjoyable trips - and we didn't have VHF, and didn't at the time know we were supposed to! Give it a bit of wellie on the way out :-)

P4166151.JPG

Duly noted!

The lockie seemed completely unconcerned that I had no VHF...

• 3 weeks later...

I've now got my Sissions chart for the tidal trent and have been pouring over it for the last day or so.

I've also decided to make things easy for myself and take up a friend's invite to stay at Streethay Wharf near Lichfield for a few days. So I have 8 days from Castleford to Streethay instead of Castleford to Birmingham. Should be easy-peasy then! (Famous last words).

Worryingly, an old starting issue has returned where occassionally I turn the key to start and all I get is a click. A few goes and it then starts. When it happened before i assumed it was a problem with the starter motor so I had that refurbed and it made no difference. Then after a regular annual service it went away. I suspect it's a poor electrical connection somewhere - but I'm usually wrong in my suspicions. If it keeps doing it I may have to resort to my usual brute force and ignorance approaches (hit the starter motor with a hammer or spray everything with WD40). Unless anyone has a better idea unsure.png