How many locks on the BCN

Capt Ahab

Featured Posts

OK - a mental challenge whilst we wait for spring to make an appearance.

How many locks were / are there on the BCN?

The current number should be easy but how many have been lost(excluding stop locks whith no fall)?

Off the top of my head:

Bentley 10, Sneyd 5, Essington Locks 5, Slough 1, Ogley 30, Toll End 9, Bradley 9, Old Delph 9, Two Locks 2, Gibsons 1, Smethwich old summit 6, Smethwick duplicates 3, Gospel Oak (Dumaresq) 2

That is a tally of 82 so far and I am sure I have missed some?

As for the current tally:

Wolverhampton 21, Rushall 9, Perry Barr 13, Aston 11, Farmers Bridge 13, Ashted 6, Smethwick 3, Ryders Green 8, Walsall 8, Spon 3, Brades 3, Factory 3, Titford 6, Parkhead 4, Delph 8, Birmingham and Fazeley 15

That makes 134 operational locks?

camp hill? don't forget 1 lock has gone and 1 new lock has been built

Doesn't that also apply at Curdworth?

Does Camp Hill count as BCN though, I'm no expert, but probably not?

Edited by alan_fincher

This is near impossible to answer correctly as there is doubt and confusion over some early canals. The branch to Lower Gornal (Foxyards) which has almost entirely dissapeared is one of the problem areas, there were also branches which were private with locks, ie Slough arm and some factory arms. the Wolverhampton 21 which started as 20, also some stop locks held back a differing level, ie Wyrley & Essington stop at Horseley Fields & the Gas St stop lock too. A maximum possible number may be a better view.

Churchbridge (13)

springy

what about the other 8 locks of the Hatherton canal?

Doesn't that also apply at Curdworth?

Does Camp Hill count as BCN though, I'm no expert, but probably not?

think our posts crossed as i'd already said they aren't technically BCN even though they are in Birmingham. :cheers:

what about the other 8 locks of the Hatherton canal?

I think they were S&W, bradshaws shows Churchbridge Jcn, at the bottom

of the flight as BCN junction with the hatherton branch (end on jcn)

springy

Edited by springy

toll end locks are only 7 not 9 the other 3 are the tipton green locks that Dave Mack has added

I think they were S&W, bradshaws shows Churchbridge Jcn, at the bottom

of the flight as BCN junction with the hatherton branch (end on jcn)

springy

yes i've just looked it up and they were the S&W and BCN joined forces to build churchbridge.

One amendment, I seem to recall that Delph top and bottom locks are original and the middle 6 replaced 7 rather than 8 replaced 9.

Also, thinking about it, Blowers Green, or Parkhead number four, was two separate locks at one time.

The list of current locks also misses of Ashted locks on the Digbeth Branch I think. ETA, I'm wrong, just seen in the list.

Also ETA, wasn't there a lock somewhere on the branch towards central Birmingham from the BCN side of Worcester Bar?

Edited by magpie patrick

Churchbridge (13)

springy

I thought about Churchbridge flight and wasnt sure if they were part of the BCN or the Hatherton Canal - edited to add that I see the Churchbridge flight is in Badshaws as BCN - so thats another 13!

Edited by Capt Ahab

Laurence has a point about historical research, although with Foxyards, T think it is clear, there were four, three are shown on an Earl of Dudley lease which was reproduced on p 63 of Silent Highways and there was also the junction lock that appears on other maps. i also list the locks of all private branches on this page,including the staircase pair at Bradley Marr, which is not mentioned in the foregoing notes.

Robinsons Tar works branch perhaps needs further investigation as to the type of lock there. Bromford Ironworks also had a lock to reach an upper level.

As to John Rennies canal the Tipton Green & Toll End Communication, one lock on the Tipton Green End was moved to accomodate the new Island Line. lock 6 on the Toll End Communication was subsequently removed.

On the Bradley locks branch, 4 locks of the original private branch became the bottom 3 with the making of the Bradley Locks.

Smethwick Summit lost 6 top locks, but gained 3 with the duplication at the Smethwick End

Then there is Gibsons Lock and how deep it was!

It is quite a detailed story looking the BCN locks and the private branches that linked with them

Ray Shill

Aargh - I hadnt allowed for the demolished and rebuilt in a slightly different place locks! I think I will count the replacements as extant.

I have Curdworth included in the Birmingham and Fazeley.

This is near impossible to answer correctly as there is doubt and confusion over some early canals. The branch to Lower Gornal (Foxyards) which has almost entirely dissapeared is one of the problem areas, there were also branches which were private with locks, ie Slough arm and some factory arms. the Wolverhampton 21 which started as 20, also some stop locks held back a differing level, ie Wyrley & Essington stop at Horseley Fields & the Gas St stop lock too. A maximum possible number may be a better view.

Wise words Laurence!

One amendment, I seem to recall that Delph top and bottom locks are original and the middle 6 replaced 7 rather than 8 replaced 9.

Also, thinking about it, Blowers Green, or Parkhead number four, was two separate locks at one time.

The list of current locks also misses of Ashted locks on the Digbeth Branch I think. ETA, I'm wrong, just seen in the list.

Also ETA, wasn't there a lock somewhere on the branch towards central Birmingham from the BCN side of Worcester Bar?

Patrick - I remembered the Blowers Green two into one as I fell asleep last night. The one in Birmingham was Gibsons under the new Library.

Is this the ultimate bcn challenge?

Sort of BCN Challenge for Geeks? No messing about in boats but an exhaustive expedition through the archives

Ah but a "virtual BCN", isn't really giving you the experience though is it.....

I mean, you would get to miss out on the real delights.....

IMG_1956.JPG

Gibsons Lock- Birmingham Archeology did when they excavated the site for the new Library gave some rough depths in their reports of the excavated basin at metres above sea level, If I converted correctly the lock was between 8 and 9ft, some have suggested that it was much deeper.

I see that Curdworth Lock move for the Birmingham Northern Relief Road (M6 Toll) has been mentioned and David Brown has reminded me that there were plans to duplicate Farmers Bridge, but planned locks are perhaps out of this discussion.

Another discussion is how old are the locks. And how old is the oldest as the canal company reconstructed and rebuilt locks from time to time. The BCN rebuilt most of the Wyrley& Essington Locks, but those who are restoring this waterway have found lower down in thev chamber original hand made bricks. The oldest locks on the BCN would be the filled in Smethwick 3 and Spon Lane, but how much of Spon Lane locks are original is a matter for CRT to investigate, I presume. These were ready for traffic in 1769, whilst the original Wolverhampton Flight (20) were 1771/2 vintage.

Similar discussions might be applied to the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal where Compton Lock is usually quoted as the oldest lock, even though the notebooks of Mr Green would suugest some of those below Compton were constructed a little earlier. It is a matter of understanding that in building the canal water was taken down with the contractors boats assisting the movement of spoil. Whilst there was a water supply above Compton, Greens notebooks show that digging out that part was subsequent to making the canal south of Compton and it is likely that locks like Wightwick, or were finished earlier.

Ray Shill