Seasonal Employment On The Cut

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

In some cases professional training can mean little, look at Dr H. Shipman - what did he train in? :unsure:

involuntary euthanasia. top job, not many of them around. Apparently his sense of humour made his patients relaxed.

Edited by matty40s

Lady Muck and Tree have made my point for me. Tree and Lady Muck's partner have effectively acted fraudulently as by their own admission they have gained pecuniary advantage( getting paid) by "fibbing" (lying) and getting paid for something they claim to know about but don't. Now as they are stars of this forum I can see that this post will cause uproar but just consider for a moment if instead of computing and gardening they had said they were doctors, nurses or teachers etc and wanted to learn on the job they would get three years and quite right too. People train for years to get a trade or profession and for any Tom, Dick or Harriet to come along and think they can short circuit the system just because the feel like it is an outrage in itself.

"Lickle saplings" indeed what sort of language is that for an adult to use, especially one who is trying to offer advice.

Me and him indoors are amused at being compared to Doctor Harold Shipman :D

Now......if a music listings magazine could kill someone because of its dodgy code I think you'd have a point. :cheers:

Creative trades are not the same as academic ones, no one has asked to see my degree certificate or want to know what mark I got in 22 years ( just as well coz I cant find it), they want to see our actual work.

Incidentally my partner was offered a job painting boats by a well known boatyard off the back of our own amateur paint job.

Edited by Lady Muck

Lady Muck and Tree have made my point for me. Tree and Lady Muck's partner have effectively acted fraudulently as by their own admission they have gained pecuniary advantage( getting paid) by "fibbing" (lying) and getting paid for something they claim to know about but don't. Now as they are stars of this forum I can see that this post will cause uproar but just consider for a moment if instead of computing and gardening they had said they were doctors, nurses or teachers etc and wanted to learn on the job they would get three years and quite right too. People train for years to get a trade or profession and for any Tom, Dick or Harriet to come along and think they can short circuit the system just because the feel like it is an outrage in itself.

"Lickle saplings" indeed what sort of language is that for an adult to use, especially one who is trying to offer advice.

Who the hell are you to pass judgement on people you know only through this forum and not personally?

• Greenie 1

Oh get over yourself. The chip on your shoulder is in danger of crippling you.You are not the only person to be/feel hard done by, employers do not want I hear your life story, they have problems enough of their own. If you have a can do attitude you will get on in life if not the future looks bleak my friend.

If Tree wants to refer to her children in that way it is her prerogative , it is not your pace to sneer.

Life is what you make of it. Have I had life shattering experiences? You bet.Am I going to make a song and dance about it? Hell no.I'm going to graft all week and feed my family, I suggest you do the same.

Alyson

• Greenie 1

No I am certainly NOT missing the point. I am or was a coded welder and can do wood work and painting and would work for fuck all but can't get any work at all because I don't tell silly jokes and am prepared to tell it like it is, viz most peoples are stupid halfwits, so I would tell people their boats are not worth repairing and should be scrapped. This is obviously not in the interests of my employers as they are part of the con as well. Sad as it is I just can't cope with lies and the way poor naive fools are like lambs to the slaughter. Yes am perfectly prepared to starve or at least live on beans :) but I have just had a marvellous few hours with Moomin and Mrs Moomin of this parish and they are just brilliant so perhaps thing are not that bad.

I can see how that atitude towards people and their property would upset an employer or lose you work if you were self employed

Great thread! I'm a pretender too and I'm going to have a wee rant now. :)

I made a very nice living thank you doing work that should have require 2 engineering degrees. I don't have any degree or even a-levels, but luckily in 20 years nobody ever asked. If someone said "can you do x?" I said yes, then panicked. You can't beat blind panick and a deadline as a motivator for learning. In the end I was designing lightning protection and earthing systems for mobile phone installations on High Voltage pylons. Actually I was designing whole installations, but the rest was just concrete and steelwork.

I didn't have the qualifications apparently neccessary, but I was better and more diligent by a country mile than my competitors. Qualifications aren't all they're cracked up to be. Next to experience, they're pretty well useless I'd say. I think my customers knew very well that I was unqualified. I didn't ever claim that I was.

I also employed quite a few people in techinal posts who I made damn sure weren't qualified in anything that would distract them from how I wanted the job done. I found musicians were the best and no I'm not taking the mickey. Mostly they were in their 20's, had messed up and school and realised too late to get back on the education trail. The best had not even an o-level, he's now a sought after 3d CAD designer - the sort companies write a little piece about how proud they are to employ them.

I'm now on my second career that I'm completely unqualified for but funnily enough people come from all ends of the country to use my services because I do what I say I'll do and don't rip them off. If something goes wrong I take it on the chin as a gentleman should. Easy really!

I could now tell some cock-up stories involving educated, qualified professionals making elementary mistakes, but we all make a cock-up now and again.;)

I feel sorry for anyone who's thinks that they, and everyone else, are incapable of doing anything without the relevent training and a certificate to prove it. This isn't the attitude that made England Great, it reminds me more of people who spend a lifetime on social security because "there aren't any jobs". What self-defeated tosh.

Edited by boathunter
  • Greenie 1

Great thread! I'm a pretender too and I'm going to have a wee rant now. :)

I made a very nice living thank you doing work that should have require 2 engineering degrees. I don't have any degree or even a-levels, but luckily in 20 years nobody ever asked. If someone said "can you do x?" I said yes, then panicked. You can't beat blind panick and a deadline as a motivator for learning. In the end I was designing lightning protection and earthing systems for mobile phone installations on High Voltage pylons. Actually I was designing whole installations, but the rest was just concrete and steelwork.

I didn't have the qualifications apparently neccessary, but I was better and more diligent by a country mile than my competitors. Qualifications aren't all they're cracked up to be. Next to experience, they're pretty well useless I'd say. I think my customers knew very well that I was unqualified. I didn't ever claim that I was.

I also employed quite a few people in techinal posts who I made damn sure weren't qualified in anything that would distract them from how I wanted the job done. I found musicians were the best and no I'm not taking the mickey. Mostly they were in their 20's, had messed up and school and realised too late to get back on the education trail. The best had not even an o-level, he's now a sought after 3d CAD designer - the sort companies write a little piece about how proud they are to employ them.

I'm now on my second career that I'm completely unqualified for but funnily enough people come from all ends of the country to use my services because I do what I say I'll do and don't rip them off. If something goes wrong I take it on the chin as a gentleman should. Easy really!

I could now tell some cock-up stories involving educated, qualified professionals making elementary mistakes, but we all make a cock-up now and again.;)

I feel sorry for anyone who's thinks that they, and everyone else, are incapable of doing anything without the relevent training and a certificate to prove it. This isn't the attitude that made England Great, it reminds me more of people who spend a lifetime on social security because "there aren't any jobs". What self-defeated tosh.

:) Have a greenie thingy that man :) well said. I also work with some youngsters with challenging behaviour and often get this response, its not my fault I was brought up in care ectera ..well that dont wash any dishes with me, because I was also brought up in care and have worked since I was 16yr and never claimed the dole or benefits, even as a loneparent. I think that society needs to teach people to have respect for themselves and a sense of pride. There is help out there if you are determined enough to look. My friends often used to say to me ... why are you doing cleaning and gardening jobs when you have a degree... well it was work and it suited my circumstances at the time and paided the bills. I would clean drains if need be ..Maybe Ime just old fashioned I dont know, but that is what I was taught when I was young.

• Greenie 1

I think it comes down to,

there are some of us who can, some of us who try and some of us don't!

If people spent as much effor looking for their ideal job instead of moaning about the crap one on here, we would all get a lot more done.

As far as Tree is concerned, you have no right to critise someone about the way they "talk". Despite of everything that has happened, she never has a bad word to say about anyone and would give you the shirt off her back!Must dash, off to do the job I love.

Me and him indoors are amused at being compared to Doctor Harold Shipman :D

I was not comparing you or him indoors to Harold Shipman, sorry of that was the impression given.

I was attempting to make the point that sometimes having professional qualifications does not make you good at the job. I have met many professional managers in my career, whilst they may have impressive "tickets" to their name they were rubbish at what they did and managing their staff. All they were interested in was "me on-wards and up-wards" not caring about the chaos they left behind.

I have also met many in the staff grades, with few or no qualifications, who would have made brilliant managers but had no desire to do so.

Many years ago when my Mum taught 11+ children she had a boy in her class who was one mark below the pass grade. The Education Committee decided to interview him to see whether he should be allowed to pass.

All was well until he was asked "What would you like to do for a Job"? His reply, "I want to do something with my hands". For that comment he was failed. This was in 1959.

Unfortunately the unseen educational powers that be do not seem to be able to have the foresight to see that we need craftsmen / women as well as academics.

This is written by a soul who himself failed the 11+ and was educationally condemned to the Secondary Modern system of schooling. Which in the school I went to in Coventry was crap!

Incidentally I went on to achieve City & Guilds Final in Telecommunications.

Edited by Ray T

I almost totally agree with the last post by Ray T and most others if truth be told BUT I was not necessarily talking about myself although a job would be good even if it wasn't paid as I am bored to tears and slowly sinking sitting here. The point I was trying to make, obviously very badly, is what come back does anyone who falls foul of so called 'welders' or 'boat repairers' have and don't we as human being have a duty of care to our fellow human beings viz save them from themselves? When I was a 'superstar' in the balmy far off days of the 70s and 80s I had a firm based in Brighton and worked mainly for English Heritage but also for private individuals trying to deliver their whims and fancies. If I thought it was either stupid, would detract from their property or was just plain daft I would tell them so and refuse to do the work as I believed that I had a duty to them both as a customer but also as a human being to do my best for them and this also included not completing the work for them. I also understand that a well know boat painter and boat writer did something similar a couple of months ago. A customer wanted to paint thier boat in an odd way and call it an odd name and he refused to do it, the customer took the advice and radically change the name and when I spoke with him was raving on about how wonderful the painter was and how glad he was that he took his advice.

Tree is obviously free to talk like a child it she wishes and I would fight for her right to do so just as I have a perfect right to think it childish

• Greenie 1

I agree PB - I may be unqualified, but I try my hardest to save my customers from themselves at the expense of £££'s for myself. It's more important to live with yourself than make money and a better long term plan anyway. There are plaenty of qualified people ripping off the general public. Solicitors for one £220 per hour + vat to get divorced? And even then you have to work hard yourself to get them to do what you want rather than what's easiest for themselves.