Am I going nuts?

richardg

Featured Posts

Raised on the banks of the Peak forest canal near Romiley I count myself as a long time canal lover. Many happy childhood hours exploring the forest close to my family home at Hyde Bank. Paddled through the Hyde Bank tunnel on everything from old Morris Minor roofs to home made rafts. At the time I simply accepted this man made gem as normal and nothing to get excited about. Now in my midding years I seem to be drawn to the cut more and more. Its a madness that's taking hold to such a degree that I seem to be set on a collision course with my wet childhood world once again. The multiple family holidays of recent years on just about every canal navicable hasn't cured my ills, no, it's made them far worse. Waking up on my hire craft in Diglis Basin at 4am with the odd stray cat and the defining silence of the surrounding pure still water simply drives me to screaming point. How can this world be so beautiful and yet I am the only person to witness it, I want to show the world this sense, this taste, this calm that makes my heart jump, wake the wife and kids from their slumber to pear from a misty Narrowboat window as you peer bleary eyed into the bathroom mirror not sure what you are looking at. Grumpy though my teenage son is, I think even he is taken back by this world of calm and silence. To hell with the 9 to 5, throw all your guidelines for modern financially secure living to the wind and dive in. Yes that's how I feel. Am I going mad?

Please please help 

R

:cheers:

Edited by richardg
  • Greenie 1

Yes Richard I'm afraid you are going mad, try sticking a pencil up each nostril and putting your underpants on your head until you feel better.

Sorry forgot the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G2DCExerOsA

It actually is worth watching the ad at the beginning of this clip if it's the one with the moonwalking horse.

Edited by kevinl

Raised on the banks of the Peak forest canal near Romiley I count myself as a long time canal lover. Many happy childhood hours exploring the forest close to my family home at Hyde Bank. Paddled through the Hyde Bank tunnel on everything from old Morris Minor roofs to home made rafts. At the time I simply accepted this man made gem as normal and nothing to get excited about. Now in my midding years I seem to be drawn to the cut more and more. Its a madness that's taking hold to such a degree that I seem to be set on a collision course with my wet childhood world once again. The multiple family holidays of recent years on just about every canal navicable hasn't cured my ills, no, it's made them far worse. Waking up on my hire craft in Diglis Basin at 4am with the odd stray cat and the defining silence of the surrounding pure still water simply drives me to screaming point. How can this world be so beautiful and yet I am the only person to witness it, I want to show the world this sense, this taste, this calm that makes my heart jump, wake the wife and kids from their slumber to pear from a misty Narrowboat window as you peer bleary eyed into the bathroom mirror not sure what you are looking at. Grumpy though my teenage son is, I think even he is taken back by this world of calm and silence. To hell with the 9 to 5, throw all your guidelines for modern financially secure living to the wind and dive in. Yes that's how I feel. Am I going mad?

Please please help 

R

Ssshhh!

Don't tell everyone out there in the bricks n mortar world.

We like the gentle ripple of the water, the tapping of the ducks and the kingfishers flashing electric blue in the dappled sunlight

If too many folks realise - - there'll be no room left for us!

:cheers:

Yes Richard I'm afraid you are going mad, try sticking a pencil up each nostril and putting your underpants on your head until you feel better.

Sorry forgot the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G2DCExerOsA

It actually is worth watching the ad at the beginning of this clip if it's the one with the moonwalking horse.

I remember this episode :P love old Slack Bladder, thanks for the reminder, by the way I have tried the pencils up the nose one before, didn't cure my ills :blush:

I remember this episode :P love old Slack Bladder, thanks for the reminder, by the way I have tried the pencils up the nose one before, didn't cure my ills :blush:

Bugger. So I can't interest you in a country cottage in a desirable area so I can buy the boat then?

Not madness but you may meet some sales resistance from family. I think I'm in a similar position to Chagall.

My life , my choice.

taslim.

• 1 year later...

Had a lovely few trips this year down the cut since this post boat.gif Trent and Mersey (twice), The Mac. Peak Forrest, and the llangollen (twice), setting off again From The Trent and Mersey again heading into Birmingham, Just so excited clapping.gif (Hire boat from Aquanarrowboats)

Thought we would take the plunge this year so trundled off to Crick show the other weekend, Its now down to two boat builders and my bank manager help.gif

We are hooked, so for the next stage in life it's going to be Boat Boat Boat not Buy Buy Buy. To cap it all my first good luck push came the other day, I was given notice of redundancy clapping.gif I've worked for the same large 'multi national' for the past twenty five years and so now qualify for an ''enhanced'' package to walk away. What good luck, was going to resign anyway, but don't tell my boss. BY BY RAT RACE hello SLOW PACE icecream.gif

I JUST CANT WAIT

R