Boat Yards - Boat Dealers

Taxi!

Featured Posts

I've moored at several moorings before. They always seems to be a bottom licker that lives at the marina and goes and fetches boats for a 'friend' not exposing the dealer.

I find this disgusting that such acts exists, and people are trying to be taken down by a middle man. Am I allowed to say this or will the mi5 be on my back?.

I'm not specifying which marina but I will say some I have come across have conducted in this kind of manner. I know dealers are there to make a profit but why the need to send there rent boy to collect the boat. Wouldn't it look more professional a dealer going to look at a boat?. Wouldn't this mean more people would say no to pathetic dealer prices that they want to pay for boats?.

If you're selling a boat and somebody makes you an offer either it is acceptable to you and you accept or it isn't in which case you can decline, not really sure what you are trying to say? Most brokers don't own the boats they sell, when dealers do try and sell multiple boats privately it is normally fairly obvious, common contact details on multiple adds etc.I would suggest there is more sharp practice in private sales. Or is this just an oblique attempt to have a go at a specific business?

I'm having no go at a specific business. Like I said I've come across some that do that. They don't use dealer contact they usually use the rent boy and put 50 different names on.

Same as a couple that are friends with hull surveryers get them to falsify the survey to get the boat at a drastically reduced price.

One story at a marina was an old man had died and the wife not knowing the value of the boat, she sold a 50k narrow boat to a dealers mate for 20k. They then spruced it up and had it advertised a week later under the rent boys false name.

Such acts do exsist and it is sickening that some engage in this activity. Should I put a smiley face and pretend to laugh? Because that would be cruel. A person that had a hull survey on my boat whilst on brokerage offered me the exact same amount as the person that offered the amount same whilst it was undergoing repairs. Same description tried to disguise himself.

I'm not in anyway insinuating my boat survey was falsified I'm just saying I know a few others that had been.

Having now read your previous post your problem is the company that claimed to have reconditioned your engine. I'd suggest instead of having a non specific negative whinge on here your time and efforts might be better spent getting your engine sorted.

Can you explain why a boat broker should not send his agent or employee to collect the boat? That is how businesses work. Surely you would not expect a headmaster to teach every lesson in his school himself, or Mr. O'Leary to pilot every Ryanair flight personally? No, they employ staff to do those jobs, and delegate the appropriate jobs to them. Surely you realise that? I can't see what the problem is.

Edited to add: reading your post again, I must advise you that you have, probably unintentionally, used a hilariously inappropriate expression: I know that by "rent boy" you mean "hired help", but in certain shady milieux it can mean a type of homosexual prostitute! Choose your words more carefully.

Edited by Athy

Ive started to notice a few trolls appearing over the last 7 days or so.

I don't think I really fit that description - I assume that by "troll" you mean somebody who is intentionally disruptive? I don't think that Taxi fits the bill either; he is not a new member, he joined almost three years ago. He is, however, rather hard to decipher at times!

I'm not sure whether it's worth replying here, but there's a few points that might be worth discussing for the benefit of others.

'Dealer prices' - if you sell your boat to a dealer for cash, then you almost certainly aren't going to get the same price you would if you sold it directly to another boater on the open market. That's because the dealer is going to have their cash tied up until they manage to sell the boat, and will have the responsibility to moor, insure and maintain the boat until they sell it. I'd expect that most dealers would offer 20-30% less than they thought they would get on the open market (which may not be what the seller thinks the open market value of their boat is).

How exactly is a surveyor going to 'falsify' a survey report to reduce the value of a boat? A surveyor looks at the boat, and writes their observations in the report. If they're writing about problems that don't exist, then sooner or later they're going to be caught out. Of course it may be that a surveyor finds things that a seller isn't aware of, or views the seriousness of a particular problem differently to the seller, but isn't that why people pay them money to do their job? Whilst I have friends and acquaintances who own boatyards and act as brokers (it's difficult not to, when these are the people I meet on a day to day basis working as a surveyor), if they commission my services then they get exactly what everyone else gets, an honest report detailing my observations and considered opinions on the boat in question, with an honest valuation if required (which may or may not bear any relation to the asking price, depending on how realistic that is).

Some surveyor at a marina once inspected someone's boat on behalf of the broker and put down lies to get it very cheap. Now assuming we hire surveyors it is based on trust. As you say some may make a big deal out of little things. But I know several people that are buying boats and selling them in their name and then paying the broker in which they received a small pittance for.

If I had boat yards donkeys turning up I would have told them where to go. There is always at least one, and what I'm saying is the fact that people lie about buying the boat for themselves when they're buying it cheap for the broker. Now forgive me but I thought we all have a certain amount of dignity, whereas some people have none at all.

There's a lot of sharks out there and majority of boat yards - brokers piss in the same pot as to my comment above ^^^^^^^.

If you're worried about the provenance of a survey, then when you take a deposit subject to survey, make it clear that you'll only accept a survey by a qualified surveyor who carries professional indemnity insurance and is a member of a recognised industry body (although these do seem to be springing up with alarming regularity - when I started training there were basically two in the small craft sector, IIMS and YDSA, with a few people members of IMarEST or RINA, now I can think of at least four more, all claiming to have been set up with the intention of improving standards). It's not unreasonable if there are issues raised which affect the price to ask who conducted the survey and to contact them directly for clarification (after all it's in their interests that their work is not misrepresented by a buyer).

How's the day at the office? Say hello to Robert for me.

Well if I was in the office you refer to I surely would as he too is a decent guy - just like the person you badly slagged off on here (and failed to apologise for). For the record the last time I was in the office was September 2011, as a paying customer, not an employee.

I could hop in the car if you wish and drive the 147 miles required to get there but you could much more easily ring him up and say hello.

There is always at least one, and what I'm saying is the fact that people lie about buying the boat for themselves when they're buying it cheap for the broker.

I hope I am not alone in this but this doesn't seem to me to be likely. OK I have no experience of selling boats but taking what is posted above and thinking in terms of cars surely a seller expects more from a private buyer than he would from a broker. Taking cars as an example the amount offered for part exchange is normally lower than you would expect to get selling privately (for the similar reasons to those mentioned above about brokers).

Personally I would think a broker would have to be naive to expect to be able to buy a boat privately for less than he could saying he was a broker.

I've moored at several moorings before. They always seems to be a bottom licker that lives at the marina and goes and fetches boats for a 'friend' not exposing the dealer.

I find this disgusting that such acts exists, and people are trying to be taken down by a middle man. Am I allowed to say this or will the mi5 be on my back?.

I'm not specifying which marina but I will say some I have come across have conducted in this kind of manner. I know dealers are there to make a profit but why the need to send there rent boy to collect the boat. Wouldn't it look more professional a dealer going to look at a boat?. Wouldn't this mean more people would say no to pathetic dealer prices that they want to pay for boats?.

Ever thought ....... maybe boating is not for you?

• Greenie 1

I may be having a bit of a 'dense day' but I'm not understanding (cannot follow) the argument/discussion.

Can anyone explain in simple terms, in reasonably written English, what the OP is saying ?

Ah. I'm glad it's not only me. Is the OP complaining that dealers (i.e brokers or marinas) are buying boats through "rent boys" (i.e. intermediaries purporting to be private buyers ) to snap up boats at reduced prices?

Well if I was in the office you refer to I surely would as he too is a decent guy - just like the person you badly slagged off on here (and failed to apologise for). For the record the last time I was in the office was September 2011, as a paying customer, not an employee.

I could hop in the car if you wish and drive the 147 miles required to get there but you could much more easily ring him up and say hello.

The person I 'slagged off' destroyed a boat engine and blamed it on the company who reconditioned the engine. Once he realised he had knackered the sump he refused to touch it again and rang up threatening to cut the boat loose into the middle of the canal if mooring fees weren't paid in advance. We were told it had to be paid in advance, but yet witnessed several people paying weekly. Is this the kind of person you praise for damaging a canal boat engine?? The company the engine went to has been there for several years, selling to all parts of the world. They have a highly regarded reputation and an immaculate state of the art workshop.

The thread was locked because he refused to comment and defend himself and of course bottom lickers (mods) were too frightened. If you have nothing to hide you don't mind sharing. But trying to stick up for people like that is a no no. Even on the thread a gentleman named Tony that looked at the engine said it could have been him that damaged it due to the way it was lifted back in (using a tractor). Also another issue is he was paid to paint the engine bay but he did not paint it.

The person I 'slagged off' destroyed a boat engine and blamed it on the company who reconditioned the engine. Once he realised he had knackered the sump he refused to touch it again and rang up threatening to cut the boat loose into the middle of the canal if mooring fees weren't paid in advance. We were told it had to be paid in advance, but yet witnessed several people paying weekly. Is this the kind of person you praise for damaging a canal boat engine?? The company the engine went to has been there for several years, selling to all parts of the world. They have a highly regarded reputation and an immaculate state of the art workshop.

The thread was locked because he refused to comment and defend himself and of course bottom lickers (mods) were too frightened. If you have nothing to hide you don't mind sharing. But trying to stick up for people like that is a no no. Even on the thread a gentleman named Tony that looked at the engine said it could have been him that damaged it due to the way it was lifted back in (using a tractor). Also another issue is he was paid to paint the engine bay but he did not paint it.

This one sided nastiness is not needed. If you have a case sue them.