Another clueless solar power post (sorry)

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Wow stop everybody,

I'm sorry but as a newby to this site, I'm so disappointed that there is not an expert view section that, directs people to quantified answers to their questions.

The debate on the nuts and bolts of a subject should be carried out by the lads & lasses interested in that particular field of engineering, not for the OP to pick one they feel is the best typed answer.

As engineers, do you think we can serve our community better, if we take the technical arguments away from general view (but don't stop them seeing the debate or contributing if they wish).

We can thrash out the scientific sides of a problem before giving our customers their solution (I used the word customers intentionally) we serve our community, we must come to an agreed answer if not the op will not be helped

David

Edited to say does that make seance or do I need to clarify it some way

Edited by Skye

Can we stick with tomatoes and kittens please?

For a wonderful period of time I was increasing my knowledge of solar

'Flattening the bell curve' ; make too many tomatoes so that while they're in season you throw some of them away but in the time leading up to this you have more available. That way we need a smaller, cheaper kitten. The nice caravan man simply tried to (unsuccessfully) set fire to his kitten to show us that ours will eat the surplus tomatoes without exploding.

Chutney is unfortunately not a viable analogy for solar production.

Wow stop everybody,

I'm sorry but as a newby to this site, I'm so disappointed that there is not an expert view section that, directs people to quantified answers to their questions.

The debate on the nuts and bolts of a subject should be carried out by the lads & lasses interested in that particular field of engineering, not for the OP to pick one they feel is the best typed answer.

...before giving our customers their solution (I used the word customers intentionally) we serve our community, we must come to an agreed answer if not the op will not be helped

You answered your own question. If you want a definitive and guaranteed answer from an expert go and pay one.

Can we stick with tomatoes and kittens please?

For a wonderful period of time I was increasing my knowledge of solar

We're just considering the kittens being presented with a unexpectedly greater than ever envisaged bumper harvest of larger than usual tomatoes.

Do the kittens ignore the extra tomatoes, go on strike, or go into a crazy violent tomato attacking rage? :help:

We think that fortunately our kitties just choose enough tomatoes to make up to their usual quota. This is because they're proper MPPT kitties and are trained to normally deal intelligently with all different shapes and sizes of tomatoes, so will take the abundance of tomatoes in their stride :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

• Greenie 2

I must have some legitimate mental issue (yes, some of you may already have suspected this) because since we got into kittens and tomatoes, I have understand everything said perfectly; but explain it using exactly the same logic and sentence structure but turn kittens and tomatoes into panels and amp hours, and my brain just goes 'nope!'

This is almost as interesting to me as the issue at hand itself. I wonder if there is some kind of well-known to the teaching profession 'theory of learning' that explains this phenomenon, but that I am not aware of.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

I must have some legitimate mental issue (yes, some of you may already have suspected this) because since we got into kittens and tomatoes, I have understand everything said perfectly; but explain it using exactly the same logic and sentence structure but turn kittens and tomatoes into panels and amp hours, and my brain just goes 'nope!'

This is almost as interesting to me as the issue at hand itself. I wonder if there is some kind of well-known to the teaching profession 'theory of learning' that explains this phenomenon, but that I am not aware of.

Why do you think when you were little your teacher said if you have 5 apples and you give 2 to Jonny how many have you got left? If she had have said 5 minus 2 equals what, you would all have started to cry. So it must be how our minds sort things out. Some people just can't handle the old x and y type sums.

As for experts coming up with one answer, have you ever tried finding out what is the best mobile phone?

From reading this thread I've learned that Kiwidad lets Matty40's nibble his tomatoes!

It's enough )of a shock) to be persuaded to give up vegetarianism

Same here Star, I too feel like I am sort of getting it when it's kittens and tomatoes. Felt a bit sorry for the kitten that guy tried to explode though, glad it was ok :P

What you need is a roof full of advocardos connected by spaghetti of sufficient gauge into a Many Puppies Playing Tirelessly then into the butterflies of sufficient capacity. I would suggest at least 330 ants.

What you need is a roof full of advocardos connected by spaghetti of sufficient gauge into a Many Puppies Playing Tirelessly then into the butterflies of sufficient capacity. I would suggest at least 330 ants.

I think you're just being silly now!

How you expect anyone to be able to relate tomatoes and kittens to avocados, spaghetti and ants (ad naus) simply beggars belief.

Unless they have the use of a comptometer, of course (!)

Wow stop everybody,

As engineers, do you think we can serve our community better, if we take the technical arguments away from general view (but don't stop them seeing the debate or contributing if they wish).

We can thrash out the scientific sides of a problem before giving our customers their solution (I used the word customers intentionally) we serve our community, we must come to an agreed answer if not the op will not be helped

David

Edited to say does that make seance or do I need to clarify it some way

It would be nice to have some definitive answers to some questions but I suppose everyone has different requirements, setups, boat designs so don't think you could get to a position where someone could say "I spend £10 a week on shore power, what setup would I need to run on solar". Would be nice though :)

There should be a rule on here - when everything gets too technical, then someone should "interpret" the post using similar terminology to tomatoes and kittens. This was an inspiration to read - informative and yet amusing - I laughed out loud when objections were raised about the exploding kitten, but, hey - what an image to hold in your mind!!!

Excellent . . . more like this thread please

When I go to install solar panels, I never expect to play with the clients Puppies.

For three 100w kittens, do I need a Many Muppies Playing Tirelessly controller of 30 avocados, or do I need bigger one? Or might I even manage with a smaller 20 avocado one? I am thinking a 20 is a no-no as I am sure it was said that will work for up to 260w of kittens in total only. Many Puppies Playing Tirelessly are rated by A, (avocadoes) not Ah (tomatoes) right?!

Edited by Starcoaster

Our analogies are getting a little mashed and Amps is the unit of interest (amphours are what you will nake but not used for specs) Given the kitten exploding experiments, a 30 tomato avocado kitten will be fine ( tracer mppt).

wot he said, I wouldn't want to be blamed for cooking my kitten from the inside on a sunny day