Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

That phone number takes you to "Commercial Boat Services" in Chester.

EDIT: Sorry - not awake! Tim already said that! blush.png

Linky

I don't know the story, but the cynic in me says they have bought the boat (from CRT?) at a pittance, and are now seeing if someone will pay a comedy price for it?

Anybody know more?

Edited by alan_fincher

the realist in me says they were given it as payment for stealing it

Er, could you explain that please? At first glance it does not make sense.

My reaction on seeing the advert is that it's a scam - the price is unrealistically low, especially for a craft of that size and pedigree. Does the seller mention that her husband recently passed away?

My reaction on seeing the advert is that it's a scam - the price is unrealistically low, especially for a craft of that size and pedigree. Does the seller mention that her husband recently passed away?

It's an old wooden boat that needs work.

The price is, in my opinion, realistic but they'll probably end up getting a lot less.

Er, could you explain that please? At first glance it does not make sense.

It was a petulent swipe at CRT who removed the boat under the Section 8 procedure.

The owner, username here 'pearlygeoff' IIRC contested their action tooth and nail all the way. Some say he didn't have a leg to stand on, others saw him as a victim of heartless CRT.

I probably have some details wrong so I stand to be corrected.

MtB

At the end of August Pearl was in the hands of CRT's enforcement team and was due to be offered for sale. Presumably the advertiser bought it from CRT.

Commercial Boat Services do work for CRT so it wouldn't surprise me if they were acting as agents for them or CRT have paid them to dispose of it as they see fit.

It's an old wooden boat that needs work.

The price is, in my opinion, realistic but they'll probably end up getting a lot less.

Wooden boats never make much money.

All boats need money spent on them, wooden ones more so. Good luck to anyone brave enough!

Commercial Boat Services do work for CRT so it wouldn't surprise me if they were acting as agents for them or CRT have paid them to dispose of it as they see fit.

That's what I presumed as well.

They may well be selling it to recover storage fee's and other costs

Which reminds me, any news on the progress of Hesperus? I know that she was taken to The Slipway north of Cropredy a month or so for extensive work to be carried out. previous to that she had spent much of the previous year sinking, being raised and sinking again.

Which reminds me, any news on the progress of Hesperus? I know that she was taken to The Slipway north of Cropredy a month or so for extensive work to be carried out. previous to that she had spent much of the previous year sinking, being raised and sinking again.

Odd you should ask, I visited yesterday specifically to see!

I'd say it could go either way. The swim is missing its stem post and a plank or two and quite a lot of bottom planks. The first new plank had just been steamed and formed into shape since coming out in the summer. A large area on the port side has planks taken off for replacement and there is a large quantity of what looks like freshly sawn 2" oak spread out drying.

Progress is being made but desperately slow. I think it will be about a year before it goes back in.

(I'm taking a particular interest as I'm in the queue to come out for blacking when the slipway is vacated. I think I'd better find somewhere else, but where?!)

MtB

(Splellin edit)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

(I'm taking a particular interest as I'm in the queue to come out for blacking when the slipway is vacated. I think I'd better find somewhere else, but where?!)

MtB

Go South, young man, to Tooley's, or go North to what used to be Ian Taylor's at Fenny marina. It's now called Mitchell's, I don't know if Phil and Grant still do blacking or not.

Odd you should ask, I visited yesterday specifically to see!

I'd say it could go either way. The swim is missing its stem post and a plank or two and quite a lot of bottom planks. The first new plank had just been steamed and formed into shape since coming out in the summer. A large area on the port side has planks taken off for replacement and there is a large quantity of what looks like freshly sawn 2" oak spread out drying.

Progress is being made but desperately slow. I think it will be about a year before it goes back in.

MtB

(Splellin edit)

It was reported on here (albeit just a rumour) that it split in half when being dragged out but it's good to know it didn't and things are progressing in the right direction :)

It was reported on here (albeit just a rumour) that it split in half when being dragged out but it's good to know it didn't and things are progressing in the right direction smile.png

I heard, locally, that she did split, but not in half - the counter became detached from the rest of the hull. To those of us who had recently seen the boat and wondered how on earth the counter stayed in place at all, this was no surprise.

I heard, locally, that she did split, but not in half - the counter became detached from the rest of the hull. To those of us who had recently seen the boat and wondered how on earth the counter stayed in place at all, this was no surprise.

Yes, correct. The counter block is on the ground by the boat. As is the engine. Richard is hoping it will go back in by Christmas.

MtB