New

poppyflanders

Featured Posts

Hello Forum

I'm new to this and wondered if the forum might be able to help me out with a few questions/offer advice?

We are thinking of taking our first narrowboat holiday at the end of March for 4 nights, the week before the bank holiday.

We were thinking of traveling from Hilperton to Bath and back. Ideally, we would like to take it easy and see a few things along the way.

The questions I have are:

How difficult a route is this for a newcomer?

How busy is it - will we be able to find moorings so we can stop and explore a few pubs and places?

Boat needs to be back by 9.30am on Friday and we don't get it until 3pm Monday and then there is the training etc.

We'd like to stop at Bradford-On-Avon overnight on our first night (Monday). Where would be a good place to stop on our second, third and fourth nights?

We were thinking of hiring a 60ft-70ft, even though there are only 5 of us. Reason being that my youngest son is severely autistic and will ideally need a part of the boat/sleeping area that we can call his own.

He can not cope with too much hustle and bustle. Is this a stupid thing to do (size wise) because we are entirely new to this? How easy would it be to navigate a boat of that size? Where are we likely to encounter difficulties?

I would really appreciate advice on this aspect.

Thank you.

Edited by poppyflanders

Others what know the area will be along soon, and I believe at least one regular correspondent has first hand experience of boating with an autistic child.

Living on a narrowboat is really living in a well appointed corridor, with access to both ends being required regularly. If a truly separate area is needed that could make life a little awkward. As regards hustle and bustle, consider the engine sounds and clonking and banging when going through locks.

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum.

Others what know the area will be along soon, and I believe at least one regular correspondent has first hand experience of boating with an autistic child.

Living on a narrowboat is really living in a well appointed corridor, with access to both ends being required regularly. If a truly separate area is needed that could make life a little awkward. As regards hustle and bustle, consider the engine sounds and clonking and banging when going through locks.

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. :)

I think the mechanical sounds will be a lot easier for him to bear than the sounds of people yapping incessantly ;). He does cope with noisy fairgrounds well as he is quite a thrill seeker.

I think the noise of chatter is very different and more difficult for him to cope with, maybe because he does not speak and he does not understand speech. It is this that he needs some degree of protection from.

In the day, it will be easier, we can disperse ourselves about the inside and outside of the boat (someone will ALWAYS be with him of course) and the stop-offs and a walk will help. He does love to sit and watch the world go by, adores nature, the wind in the trees and is a great observer. And popping to a pub garden for a pack of crisps and coke is currently one of his favourite activities - no matter what the weather ;) so in many ways, it could be an ideal holiday for him.

But in the evenings when we may be sitting and playing cards or generally chit-chatting, this may be the hardest time for him.

We have wanted to try this for a long time so we have waited until now, he is 16, considerably more adaptable and I think he will cope if we consider his need for downtime.

Worst comes to the worst, we are not far from home and at least one of us can abandon ship, get a taxi back to the car and take him home. That'll be me ;)

In which case, the front of the boat is the ideal place to watch the world go by, literally, and look for wildlife. If you choose the boat layout carefully you should be able to create a quiet haven when you moor up - which will, I feel sure, be near a pub. Be mindful that both ends of the boat have doors if night time wanderings are an issue.

Hello Forum

I'm new to this and wondered if the forum might be able to help me out with a few questions/offer advice?

We are thinking of taking our first narrowboat holiday at the end of March for 4 nights, the week before the bank holiday.

We were thinking of traveling from Hilperton to Bath and back. Ideally, we would like to take it easy and see a few things along the way.

The questions I have are:

How difficult a route is this for a newcomer?

How busy is it - will we be able to find moorings so we can stop and explore a few pubs and places?

Boat needs to be back by 9.30am on Friday and we don't get it until 3pm Monday and then there is the training etc.

We'd like to stop at Bradford-On-Avon overnight on our first night (Monday). Where would be a good place to stop on our second, third and fourth nights (Wednesday)?

We were thinking of hiring a 60ft-70ft, even though there are only 5 of us. Reason being that my youngest son is severely autistic and will ideally need a part of the boat/sleeping area that we can call his own.

He can not cope with too much hustle and bustle. Is this a stupid thing to do (size wise) because we are entirely new to this? How easy would it be to navigate a boat of that size? Where are we likely to encounter difficulties?

I would really appreciate advice on this aspect.

Thank you.

I would think this is ideal for a first time holiday.

There is only one lock (at Bradford-on-Avon) between Hilperton and Bath. There is some stunning scenery all along that route and numerous points of interest. You could do the whole trip one way in under 6 hours, but you would then miss much of its attractions. Worth spending some time in Bradford and in Bath - lots to see and do. So much better to take it good and slow anyway. I can recommend the Cross Guns pub at Avoncliffe aquaduct for an excellent and reasonable meal, also The George Inn at Bathampton with decent overnight moorings too. There's also the Maypole about a mile east of Dundas aquaduct, but you have to look out for a sign west of a bridge(?) which is not all that easy to spot. Dundas also has a water point and other facilities. At Bath itself there are good moorings immediately past Bath narrowboats, where its quite easy to walk into the town. But you do have to go down 2 locks to turn around - unless you want to go down all 7 onto the River Avon - but that can be tricky when the river is running fast. This link to CanalPlan for the route might be of help My link.

You should have no undue difficulty with navigating a 70 ft boat on this stretch, but take some of the corners onto the two aquaducts slowly as they are very sharp and easy to embarrass yourself if you're not used to them. I'm sure you will be OK - just take everything slowly and get the most enjoyment out of your trip. It really is quite easy and safe. And your 4 day holiday will feel like you've had a 2 week break anywhere else!:cheers:

Just checked out The Maypole Inn - its about 300 yards down the hill from Bridge No 175. There's an old red telephone kiosk outside that has been converted to a free "library". You can just help yourself or leave unwanted books there for others to take. Quaint!

Edited by Rebotco

I would think this is ideal for a first time holiday.

There is only one lock (at Bradford-on-Avon) between Hilperton and Bath. There is some stunning scenery all along that route and numerous points of interest. You could do the whole trip one way in under 6 hours, but you would then miss much of its attractions. Worth spending some time in Bradford and in Bath - lots to see and do. So much better to take it good and slow anyway. I can recommend the Cross Guns pub at Avoncliffe aquaduct for an excellent and reasonable meal, also The George Inn at Bathampton with decent overnight moorings too. There's also the Maypole about a mile east of Dundas aquaduct, but you have to look out for a sign west of a bridge(?) which is not all that easy to spot. Dundas also has a water point and other facilities. At Bath itself there are good moorings immediately past Bath narrowboats, where its quite easy to walk into the town. But you do have to go down 2 locks to turn around - unless you want to go down all 7 onto the River Avon - but that can be tricky when the river is running fast. This link to CanalPlan for the route might be of help My link.

You should have no undue difficulty with navigating a 70 ft boat on this stretch, but take some of the corners onto the two aquaducts slowly as they are very sharp and easy to embarrass yourself if you're not used to them. I'm sure you will be OK - just take everything slowly and get the most enjoyment out of your trip. It really is quite easy and safe. And your 4 day holiday will feel like you've had a 2 week break anywhere else!:cheers:

Thanks Brian. That's very helpful.

The lock at Bradford-On-Avon, would we need to do that before we moor for the night or is this something that can be done when we set off again in the morning? Hopefully, morning so we can make many observations before we attempt it. Will investigate link now. :)

And thanks to twbm too.

Thanks Brian. That's very helpful.

The lock at Bradford-On-Avon, would we need to do that before we moor for the night or is this something that can be done when we set off again in the morning? Hopefully, morning so we can make many observations before we attempt it. Will investigate link now. :)

And thanks to twbm too.

There's not usually much visitor mooring available before the lock, but plenty after. Quite often there are gongoozlers around who are only too happy to help with the lock if asked. Sometimes there are CRT volunteers there to assist. Its a wide lock so you could wait to go down with another narrowboat if you feel nervous.

But you do have to go down 2 locks to turn around - unless you want to go down all 7 onto the River Avon - but that can be tricky when the river is running fast. This link to CanalPlan for the route might be of help My link.

What a fantastic resource the link is. Still 'playing' with it.

It says...

Turning places in route

Bath Marina

You cannot wind here.

The nearest winding holes at: Keynsham Lock Weir Entrance

I assume that this is what you meant by going down 2 locks?

And gongoozlers.. I had to Google...

Edited by poppyflanders

I hired from Hilperton in October. The "training" consists of a very boring video. Someone will come with you for a little while though and ensure you are familiar with the boat. We spent the first night in the boatyard - very good Chinese takeaway and a decent little shop next to where you park your car.

Nice overnight stop just before Bath (bit before A4 bridge) No facilities, though and there is a railway line if that would bother your son (did not notice it as busy):

4B05444E_zps30ce45b6.jpg

You would then have plenty time to spend the day in Bath - good moorings just before Bathwick Hill bridge.

Edit: another good map HERE

Edited by Alanji

Hello Alanji.

Thanks for the insight. A video? Do you mind if I ask how long the whole process took? I know we don't access the boats until 3pm so I was wondering if it was wise to even attempt leaving yard first night. And thanks for the link - another great resource. :)

I think the video was about 20 minutes. Only one person was doing the check in so it took quite a while as there were two people in front of me. I would get there a bit earlier than 3 - you could even ask if you could take over earlier - as it is not high season boat may not have come back from hire that day.

Alan

Hilperton to Bradford on Avon is an hour. Moorings above the lock can be full, especially if you have a 70 footer. There is usually space below the lock. Avoncliff is about 40 minutes from Bradford on Avon, It should be no problem to get to Avoncliff on your first night, plenty of mooring on either side of the Aquaduct. Cross Guns pub good for beer and food.

Nextday quiet cruise to Bath, about 3 to 4 hours travel. Waterpoint at Brassknocker Basin (Dundas aquaduct), also small Spar shop just up the hill. Claverton pumping station is worth a visit if it's open. Two swingbridges, at Digger's and at bathampton. Mooring in Bath before the lock is often full, so perhaps mooring at Darlington Wharf, just before you enter Bath, may be better. Certainly with a 70 footer. Turning in the winding hole by Bath Narrowboats. Spend day in bath, or next morning.

Next day, after spending time in Bath, cruise tback to Bathampton (only 40 minutes), moor outside the George, for food and drink.

Next day, cruise back to Bradford on Avon, back up the lock, and moor somewhere past the Beehive pub bridge. Several eating and drinking places within walking distance, and leaves you with less than an hour to get the boat back next morning.

Waterpoint at Bathampton, between the Tea Boat and the stone bridge. Fill up here, as filling up in Bath means going past the winding hole, meaning a trip down the locks to turn, or reversing back to the winding hole.

I shall keep an eye on this thread since there is a good chance I will be doing the same trip at the same time on my own boat, in which case I would be perfectly happy to offer some local knowledge and share the lock. :) Swingbridge operation on that stretch can be more of a pain but again two boats in company is easier than one.

I don't know that section, but you have plenty of good advice and help already, just thought I'd drop in and say welcome to the forum, ask anything you want to, and best wishes for you and yours on your waterway adventure...hope it works out well. I agree, sitting in the bow whilst cruising along, or even moored will probably be bliss for him! Enjoy!! :cheers:

Edited by Ally

Hilperton to Bradford on Avon is an hour. Moorings above the lock can be full, especially if you have a 70 footer. There is usually space below the lock. Avoncliff is about 40 minutes from Bradford on Avon, It should be no problem to get to Avoncliff on your first night, plenty of mooring on either side of the Aquaduct. Cross Guns pub good for beer and food.

Nextday quiet cruise to Bath, about 3 to 4 hours travel. Waterpoint at Brassknocker Basin (Dundas aquaduct), also small Spar shop just up the hill. Claverton pumping station is worth a visit if it's open. Two swingbridges, at Digger's and at bathampton. Mooring in Bath before the lock is often full, so perhaps mooring at Darlington Wharf, just before you enter Bath, may be better. Certainly with a 70 footer. Turning in the winding hole by Bath Narrowboats. Spend day in bath, or next morning.

Next day, after spending time in Bath, cruise tback to Bathampton (only 40 minutes), moor outside the George, for food and drink.

Next day, cruise back to Bradford on Avon, back up the lock, and moor somewhere past the Beehive pub bridge. Several eating and drinking places within walking distance, and leaves you with less than an hour to get the boat back next morning.

Waterpoint at Bathampton, between the Tea Boat and the stone bridge. Fill up here, as filling up in Bath means going past the winding hole, meaning a trip down the locks to turn, or reversing back to the winding hole.

Wow. Thank you Loads of useful information there.

And I just wanted to say a big thanks to ALL you wonderful people, for the good thoughts and the wonderful advice.

Really looking forward to the experience.

I shall keep an eye on this thread since there is a good chance I will be doing the same trip at the same time on my own boat, in which case I would be perfectly happy to offer some local knowledge and share the lock. :) Swingbridge operation on that stretch can be more of a pain but again two boats in company is easier than one.

That's great.

We decided to go with a Lark 310. Now I'm not sure if that is the name of the boat (I expect not) or the type of design?

If you see us, be patient ;) we're trying really hard not to be a nuisance to anyone.

To add to other answers, get a pearsons guide b4 you go,I couldnt get one from the boat yard last year when i took that trip,they are great for planning,and as already mentioned ring the boat yard on the day or the day b4 and you may be able to pick the boat up earlier, but a good stop as previously mentioned an hour or so after leaving the boat yard, two nice pubs serving food, one overlooking the cut,just be prepared to walk the plank if better moorings are gone right after the lock.Its a nice trip and easy I went to Bristol and back and did it drunk without a problem..

• 3 weeks later...

OK. The day is nearly on us - TOMORROW!

And the weather is looking challenging ;)

But we're starting to panic about the locks now. I understand that we only have 1 one lock (at Bradford-on-Avon) between Hilperton and Bath.

And two locks to turn around at Bath to get back to Hilperton.

We understand there are different lock types. What type of locks are these? Any advice?

We are thinking of checking out some youtube videos of the specific lock types with the hope we will have good visual memory of the process - might help getting the muscle memory off to a good start.

And apologies if stupid question. :blush:

OK. The day is nearly on us - TOMORROW!

And the weather is looking challenging ;)

But we're starting to panic about the locks now. I understand that we only have 1 one lock (at Bradford-on-Avon) between Hilperton and Bath.

And two locks to turn around at Bath to get back to Hilperton.

We understand there are different lock types. What type of locks are these? Any advice?

We are thinking of checking out some youtube videos of the specific lock types with the hope we will have good visual memory of the process - might help getting the muscle memory off to a good start.

And apologies if stupid question. :blush:

Just wear sensible shoes and be careful around the locks as they will be slippery, take it easy and enjoy your break

Edited by Tuscan