Postal address

Homer 123

Featured Posts

What do most people living aboard do about a postal address? I was going to use my sister's as she is nearest but she is a single parent and concerned that she would loose her 25% sole occupancy discount if I used her address even if I wasn't living there! Would this be the case?

What do most people living aboard do about a postal address? I was going to use my sister's as she is nearest but she is a single parent and concerned that she would loose her 25% sole occupancy discount if I used her address even if I wasn't living there! Would this be the case?

I can be problematic, there's acually some threads going now with similar issues. However if ever challenged just tell it how it is, if she's claiming benefits then other problems could arise.

Read this tthread currently in progress

absolutely bloomin furious

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=54378&pid=1027861&st=20entry1027861

My sense of fair play and justice tells me it shouldn't be a problem using your sister's address.

My cynical view of how the world actually works tells me you'd probably be safer using the address of a family member or friend that won't potentially suffer any problems because of it.

We use my husband's parents' address.

My sense of fair play and justice tells me it shouldn't be a problem using your sister's address.

My cynical view of how the world actually works tells me you'd probably be safer using the address of a family member or friend that won't potentially suffer any problems because of it.

We use my husband's parents' address.

Smelly's post raised some important issues.

Jan's mother claims a reduction on her council tax due to single occupancy, and should we ever live aboard this would stop us using her address as our 'mail box'.

You are right to be cynical.

Ok thanks, looks like ill be using my parents address for now then! They are pensioners but claim no benefits whatsoever except a free tv license so hopefully there will be no problem there!

then if you have a tv on the boat quote their v licence deails to cover your set ;) Ideally it should belong to them.

Only if the set is only in use on the boat when one is not in use at the house! :lol:

Phone them and tell to switch off then when you're viewing :wacko:

Phone them and tell to switch off then when you're viewing :wacko:

ETA

Sorry missed he heading

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence.

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a declaration form.

Edited by Julynian

We use my mothers address for mail, electoral register etc...she was a bit worried about claiming her discount with us being registered there so we now pay her the equivilant of her 25% discount which she no longer claims. It just seemed the simple answer and Saves her worrying (and I dont feel guilty anymore when using the council provided litter bins when we cruise in the area lol)

I use my sisters. Single adult in the house, but not been an issue. But then I haven't registered on the electoral roll there.

I'm lucky in currently having a business address and will do for some time hopefully. If you have a friend with a business then that's another option for boaters. Also asking or when filling forms,using the term Care Of or C/o would make it more obvious that it is inded a postal address and not your specific dwelling.

It's perfectly acceptable to have a postal address for HB. I use this system and the council did send a letter to the solo occupant with a view to disallowing the 25% CT discount. It does seem that full and clear information does not get circulated to the various departments. They seem to get wind of the fact that someone else is using the address for a reason, but don't have the full picture. They pick up on this part information quite quickly. Think it might be worth while sending your details and an explaination to the council dealing with the council tax of the occupant, your sister.

The Councils seem to have a cross reference, and they only get a postal address attached and are not aware, possibly, that your HB claim is for a boat residence. I find this with the dole office, too. You'd think that one bit of information was sitting alongside the other, but no.

Edited by Higgs

I'm lucky in currently having a business address and will do for some time hopefully. If you have a friend with a business then that's another option for boaters. Also asking or when filling forms,using the term Care Of or C/o would make it more obvious that it is inded a postal address and not your specific dwelling.

I've found that the C/o tag is not refered to much. Postal address appears to be the common reference.

Really why?

Quote from TV Licensing website:

Second home

You may need to be covered by a separate TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV in your second home. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

In some cases your main home’s TV Licence may cover your second home. However, you can’t move your licence to cover your second home while you’re there and then move it back again.

Quote from TV Licensing website:

Second home

You may need to be covered by a separate TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV in your second home. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

In some cases your main home's TV Licence may cover your second home. However, you can't move your licence to cover your second home while you're there and then move it back again.

What you,ve referred to is a second home, we have a boat.

This is on tthe BBC TV licencing site.

Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence

Static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets. Your main home’s TV Licence will cover you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. In this case you would need to complete a declaration form.

What you,ve referred to is a second home, we have a boat.

This is on tthe BBC TV licencing site.

Boats, touring caravans or vehicles as they’re already covered by your main home’s TV Licence

I downloaded the form out of curiosity and interestingly, after saying you need this form to watch TV in both homes at the same time the declaration says:

I certify that:

• Only the people covered by the TV Licence at my home address use

television receiving equipment at the above static caravan, mobile home

or moveable chalet

• Television receiving equipment is never used at both places at the same

time.

An example scenario I'm thinking of is if a couple go to their holiday home leaving their teenage kids at home. It appears they're not allowed to watch TV simultaneously, even after completing the declaration.

Am I reading it right?

I downloaded the form out of curiosity and interestingly, after saying you need this form to watch TV in both homes at the same time the declaration says:

I certify that:

• Only the people covered by the TV Licence at my home address use

television receiving equipment at the above static caravan, mobile home

or moveable chalet

• Television receiving equipment is never used at both places at the same

time.

An example scenario I'm thinking of is if a couple go to their holiday home leaving their teenage kids at home. It appears they're not allowed to watch TV simultaneously, even after completing the declaration.

Am I reading it right?

Exactly, I mentioned this in a thread a long time ago i recall. A ridiculous rule that if ever challenged in law would most certainly be disallowed.

In reality though itt would be pretty difficultt to prove, they would have to gain access to both properties at the same time and hope both would have the TV on :lol:Bearing in mind they have no right of entry, that's tricky :lol:

Edited by Julynian

Exactly, I mentioned this in a thread a long time ago i recall. A ridiculous rule that if ever challenged in law would most certainly be disallowed.

In reality though itt would be pretty difficultt to prove, you would have togain access to boh properties at the same time and hope both would have he TV on :lol:

Absolutely! Especially if they have to search the towpaths of the inland waterways for a narrowboat registered at the same address :D

There's a rumour that special Venetian TV detector divers are to be imported from Venice to swim about amongst boats over here with the detector beacon screwed to their heads checking. A friend of mine mentioned it who used to be a special ''swimming-postman'' over there who mainly delivered all the registered summons letters to TV license evaders and they all often bumped into each other, he got rheumatism and seized up in the Grand canal one day so had to hang up his trunks and pack it in. :mellow:

P--s Being inflicted with incontinence a swimming-postmans job was one of the only jobs he could to with confidence and safety.

Edited by bizzard