VHF on Rivers / Canals

Biggles

Featured Posts

I have seen it mentioned on here and yes I did a search for VHF but found nothing.

Is there any VHF traffic on the UK inland waterways?

I have just got my radio licence and am keen to set my kit up and at least listen.

I have seen it mentioned on here and yes I did a search for VHF but found nothing.

I have just got my radio licence and am keen to set my kit up and at least listen.

Hi Kevin,

Pm me your email, Squire, and I'll send you a list of all the UK waterways VHF channels

I would expect you to hear a bit where you are, lots of the cruisers in that area are sea going even if they never get further than Denver, probably some of them have radios to talk to their mates.

Hi

When I and a group of friends go out on our private boats for a spin we all keep in touch with vhf. On the commercial rivers and canals any one with any sense has vhf which is used extensively by proffesionals as indeed I use ours usualy daily at work on the Trent. On the rural ditch system it is seldom used but is good to keep in touch if out boating with other boaters. For safety it is invaluable on much of the Thames, Trent, Aire and calder etc. A very good piece of kit to have onboard.

Tim

I am surprised to hear it still referred to as "VHF". Radio stations used to call it that, but switched to the expression "FM" some 20 years ago. Why the difference?

If you talk about FM it is commercial broadcast radio using Frequency Modulation. Marine Band VHF is in a different frequency band and is not used by broadcasters. You can get different types of modukation like phase modulation or ampllitude modulation but marine band VHF is also frequency modulation

See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_VHF_radio fir more info

Edited by jelunga

But would you be happy being able to talk only to the gin palace brigade? No one else round here would have one, or probably wouldn't put it on.

The best exchange I heard was going throu the Thames Barrier, between Meteor Clipper and London VTS:

London VTS, this is Meteor Clipper"

"Go ahead"

You have allocated us Charlie Span of the barrier, is that correct?

"Yes"

You also allocated that to City of Westminster coming in the other direction..... Is this correct?

Wait one...... Yes, Meteor Clipper, that is correct. Just try and miss each other!

• Greenie 2

I suppose that depends where you cruise. Where we are even the narrowboatists have taken to using it!

Just remember, though you will have learned it on your DSC course when you got your autority to operate which you need as well as a ship's licence, VHF is for safety and navigational use, not idle CB type chit chat. Unless you are a commercial fisherman that is, in which case the rules don't apply to you. :glare:

Edited by NMEA

Just remember, though you will have learned it on your DSC course when you got your autority to operate which you need as well as a ship's licence, VHF is for safety and navigational use, not idle CB type chit chat. Unless you are a commercial fisherman that is, in which case the rules don't apply to you. :glare:

Or the inland waterways taxi driver equivalent, the trip boat skipper. (PS. This does nit refer to Nottingham Princess' skipper, our own MrSmelly)

Edited by jelunga

Or wind farm support vessels, or port authority staff, or marina staff, etc.

Not quite sure why you felt the need to quote my post there. We are fully licenced , both us and the equipment, and use our radio in the correct fashion. We use it a lot to contact the tidal lockies and commercial shipping in the area.

All done online in about 20 minutes including personal registration and an MMSI number issued which is now programmed in as well as a call sign 2GHQ6.

Simples

As we have handheld as well as fixed,we use as communication between lockwheeler and boat(on low power) on inland routes.usefull safety kit on rivers.Essential on coastal hops.Very cheap to buy,licencing is straightforward.Why would you not have one.Fishermen might chit/chat but they dont block Ch16.

As we have handheld as well as fixed,we use as communication between lockwheeler and boat(on low power) on inland routes.usefull safety kit on rivers.Essential on coastal hops.Very cheap to buy,licencing is straightforward.Why would you not have one.Fishermen might chit/chat but they dont block Ch16.

Long time since I my exam but I think that may actually be an illegal use of marine band but I am not sure

Long time since I my exam but I think that may actually be an illegal use of marine band but I am not sure

I agree. Marine Band VHF shouldn't be used to communicate between the boat and a lockwheeler on the bank.

Howard

What Howard & Ditchcrawler said . . (if you want to chat to the First Mate - get a walkie-talkie)

All done online in about 20 minutes including personal registration and an MMSI number issued which is now programmed in as well as a call sign 2GHQ6.

Simples

I have my number...but never programmed it in...as once its there..its virtualy impossible to sell the radio to anyone else. The number is unique to you and most radios have to go back to supplier to reset...which prices it out of the question...so its basically 'written off'.

Can anyone tell me...why you would need the number in the set..on the inland waterways ?

I thought it was for emergency rescue/ident 'at sea'?.

This can usually be achieved on the canal with a good pair of waders ?... :rolleyes:

Question : If you hit the red button and it sends the distress number, don't they (by law) have to despatch A Sea King helicopter (via Falmouth) even if you are at the lock in Braunston and it was Fido's tail that set it off ?

Actually, here's a serious question ( I can do serious)

Where does the use of marine VHF cease to be legal ?

Its illegal to use it on land (other than the marina frequencies), but can a narrow canal that is 30 inches deep, really be official grounds to use it ?.

Edited by Bobbybass

You can reset the call sign on most radios without the need for sending back for a factory reset. We thought we would have to reset ours when we registered the radio on NC for the first time to us. Reset it then realised that the number we had been given was the same as the previous one! Oops. Seems the call sign stays with the radio and boat not the operator!

We have ours programmed in as it will be useful on the day that we do get into trouble at sea. Wouldn't dream if using it inland. Even on the Humber help is not far away. A quick call for help will have the Humber lifeboat crew with you very quickly. Had a visit last time when we were not in trouble. They wanted to see which muppets were out in small boats in not nice seas!

I agree. Marine Band VHF shouldn't be used to communicate between the boat and a lockwheeler on the bank.

Howard

Not sure if I agree. Communication between lock operator and vessel could come under "port operations" provided it is related to. Navigational messages not idle chit chat, and be on the correct channel. Interestingly, wikipaedia (or however you spell it) lists Ch 74 as a BW/CRT channel on the inland waterways. It is certainly the one we use for lock operations and safety messages on the Trent Locks.

Not sure if I agree. Communication between lock operator and vessel could come under "port operations" provided it is related to. Navigational messages not idle chit chat, and be on the correct channel. Interestingly, wikipaedia (or however you spell it) lists Ch 74 as a BW/CRT channel on the inland waterways. It is certainly the one we use for lock operations and safety messages on the Trent Locks.

Ch74 isn't specifically a CRT channel it is used by others elsewhere.

Also different channels are used on different sections of the Trent. The Tidal Trent above Keadby is ch06, tidal Trent between Keadby and Trent end is ch17 (the commercial wharves also use this), upper Humber for Humber VTs is ch15, changing to ch12 the. Ch14 past clee ness.

On the Ouse it's ch14 from Trent end to hook and then ch09 upstream of there. Although naburn and Selby locks operate on ch74 and ocean lock/Goole docks operate on ch14.

It helps to have a dual watch VHF set so that you can keep an eye, or ear in this case, on a couple of channels at once.

We keep a laminated list if the relevant channels onboard at the helm because even though we are regulars in these waters it is still easy to forget which channel you should be in and where.

Worth noting that if you are using these waters you are expected to know the correct channels and be listening out for vessel movements. You don't want to get in the way of a fully laden ship leaving dock!