Wanting to live full time on a narrow boat

Sunsoup

Featured Posts

Whats the differance between a Trad style and a Semi trad style?

Had a quick skip through the thread, and no-one seems to have addressed this one.

A trad is a boat where the cabin goes all the way back to the stern, and has the advantage therefore of more interior space for your length, and provides shelter for the steerer. Disadvantages cited are that it's lonesome for the steerer and engines/weed hatches can be tricky to access.

A cruiser's cabin stops well short of the arse end, which gives a more sociable steering position and the possibility of having a nice chat with your dog. The engine is easy to access, but you're losing cabin space.

A semi-trad is a boat at which you point and laugh.

• Greenie 1

Had a quick skip through the thread, and no-one seems to have addressed this one.

A trad is a boat where the cabin goes all the way back to the stern, and has the advantage therefore of more interior space for your length, and provides shelter for the steerer. Disadvantages cited are that it's lonesome for the steerer and engines/weed hatches can be tricky to access.

A cruiser's cabin stops well short of the arse end, which gives a more sociable steering position and the possibility of having a nice chat with your dog. The engine is easy to access, but you're losing cabin space.

Post #3, this link:

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/styles.php

Edited by Ray T

Dont get a dog and leave it on the boat all day while you're at work :(

Hi Yamanx, Oh no I would never leave a dog on it's own all day, whilst at work my sister would look after it because she wants a dog but can not really afford one so would love looking after mine.

Hi, thanks for the info. I have my heart set on a trad style because the extra lockable space would be more useful in the long run.

Post #3, this link:

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/styles.php

Thanks for the link Ray T. :captain:

Hi Yamanx, Oh no I would never leave a dog on it's own all day, whilst at work my sister would look after it because she wants a dog but can not really afford one so would love looking after mine.

Hi, thanks for the info. I have my heart set on a trad style because the extra lockable space would be more useful in the long run.

That is going to tie you down if you have to moor somewhere where you can get to your sisters twice every day.

Our boat is a semi trad with a " plastic greenhouse " great to step into and get your wet clothes and muddy boots off before you step down into the boat. Also keeps you dry when servicing the boat on rainy days. You have what you like not others.

Each to their own and all that B)

Our boat is a semi trad with a " plastic greenhouse " great to step into and get your wet clothes and muddy boots off before you step down into the boat. Also keeps you dry when servicing the boat on rainy days. You have what you like not others.

I'm with Les, have what suits you, I have a Semi Trad and love the fact that I can easily get at my Batteries, gas bottles, engine and weed hatch, though I hate cratch covers and pram canopies but that's just my choice

Phil

Unti recentlty, I had 3 big dogs on my boat ad I have always worked. If I could I came home at lunch to walk them (or in my case wake them up and drag them out of the boat). When I could not get home for any reason, I paid friends the walk them for me, but I would always try to do part time. They still get walked before work and in the evening. So don't discount having a dog, you just need to plan your life around them!

Unti recentlty, I had 3 big dogs on my boat ad I have always worked. If I could I came home at lunch to walk them (or in my case wake them up and drag them out of the boat). When I could not get home for any reason, I paid friends the walk them for me, but I would always try to do part time. They still get walked before work and in the evening. So don't discount having a dog, you just need to plan your life around them!

Yes, that could be an option I work in Dewsbury so If I got a mooring at Leggers I could walk the dog at lunch time. I work 7am-15:30 so the dog would be on it's own 5hrs max then then 2and half hrs after lunch 4 days a week, Friday is an half day so would be home by 12. B)

When we had dogs and worked they lived outside in a kennel and run, when you came home they would be waiting to get out, but if you slipped home unexpectedly and sneaked round the back they wouldn't be in the run, but in the kennel fast asleep. Having said that I have known dogs that just hate to be left, I think it has a lot to do with what they have been brought up to. Likewise if we went away we could leave them in the car all day with no problem, obviously making sure they has air and couldn't get to hot.