Singlehanding through Birmingham

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

One can get a bit paranoid too, like I did when going through the Ashtons a couple of years ago. There was a group of 15 year old 'hoodies' who briefly chatted to us and then went on ahead on their bikes. A little later I saw ahead the wheel of one of their bikes sticking out from behind a bridge and the thought did occur to me that they may be lying in wait to ambush us.

When we apprehensively got to the bridge there they were all grouped together feeding bread to the ducks :rolleyes:

Merci !

dum de dah dah dah dah dum, "Pretty Woman..." etc.

Single handing through Brum, peasy. Done it in almost every direction bar the doggie 21. Stourbridge/Delph almost always had help from the kind of boys mama would not want me to play with, but never had any bother. Also done Farmers Bridge at midnight and there were definitely boys down there mama wouldn't have let me play with, let alone buy an ounce of charlie from, but again was left completely unmolested. Shame. I was provocatively dressed, too.

dum de dah dah dah dah dum, "Pretty Woman..." etc.

Single handing through Brum, peasy. Done it in almost every direction bar the doggie 21. Stourbridge/Delph almost always had help from the kind of boys mama would not want me to play with, but never had any bother. Also done Farmers Bridge at midnight and there were definitely boys down there mama wouldn't have let me play with, let alone buy an ounce of charlie from, but again was left completely unmolested. Shame. I was provocatively dressed, too.

an ounce of charlie? :o

Wolverhampton 21 - BW CaRT CRT key or handcuff key???, can't remember and I have managed to avoid it for the last 12 months until this Saturday coming.

another question...., with the weather looking like it might snow, and the 21 to do in the morning, is it quicker to go up and down the 3 locks each end and do the new main line, or is the (4 furlong) Old Main Line quicker??

I know boating isn't about speed, however, it is a 10 hour plus cruise from Brewood to destination and there are only 8 hours of light.

another question...., with the weather looking like it might snow, and the 21 to do in the morning, is it quicker to go up and down the 3 locks each end and do the new main line, or is the (4 furlong) Old Main Line quicker??

I know boating isn't about speed, however, it is a 10 hour plus cruise from Brewood to destination and there are only 8 hours of light.

Bit confused, both old and new main lines have 3 locks down from the Wolverhampton level. New main line is the quicker route into Birmingham.

Bit confused, both old and new main lines have 3 locks down from the Wolverhampton level. New main line is the quicker route into Birmingham.

Yes, 3 locks at Tipton, or 3 locks later eg Smethwick. The old line is more interesting but much slower. You could compromise and go to Brades Hall on the old line, then go down the staircase lock + normal lock back onto the new main line. Low beam on the bridge below Brades staircase though if you have lots of stuff on the roof.

Edited by nicknorman

ok, sorry, engine arm is the destination, quite simply, is 3 locks up and straight New Main line and 3 locks down, or just the Wolverhampton level with no locks swifter.

I don't reckon we travel a lot slower on the old main line than on the new, (either boat), so if you don't need to drop down on to the new one, I'd say it is a no brainer.

Plus I find the old infinitely more interesting than the new.

On the subject of the Gower Branch, (mentioned), I quite like it, because it has the BCNs only staircase, but based on past experience I'd not use it if in a hurry.

As well as having to fish more debris out of a lock than I have probably ever done elsewhere, I was then treated to a "near miss" when one of the top gate handrails proved to have been hack-sawed through in the middle, and then the two ends rested against each other to make it look "entire" :o

Perhaps we just have been unlucky!

ok, sorry, engine arm is the destination, quite simply, is 3 locks up and straight New Main line and 3 locks down, or just the Wolverhampton level with no locks swifter.

Depends how fast you are at locks, but probably the old line is quicker. However the time before last we had to spend some considerable time clearing the prop on the old line. It wasn't so much the steel cored washing line, but the assortment of underwear on the line including the leopard pattern knickers that were the problem. And that was with summer water temperatures!

I don't reckon we travel a lot slower on the old main line than on the new, (either boat), so if you don't need to drop down on to the new one, I'd say it is a no brainer.

But it's a good bit further on the old line. The main line is fast but only from Smethwick to the centre - no use to Matty in this case

Edited by nicknorman

But it's a good bit further on the old line.

Working an unnecessary 6 locks is surely going to take at least 30 minutes.

Surely unless something goes badly wrong he isn't going to use an extra 30 minutes to travel the very small extra distance?

Working an unnecessary 6 locks is surely going to take at least 30 minutes.

Surely unless something goes badly wrong he isn't going to use an extra 30 minutes to travel the very small extra distance?

Yes I think you're right, i checked only another 1/2 mile. So quicker on the old line unless you encounter that washing line...

Edited by nicknorman